Rich come first

Moksha

Doctrine and Covenants (58:4-11) talks about a great feast that happens some time in the future.

"Yea, a supper of the house of the Lord, well prepared, unto which all nations shall be invited. First the rich and the learned, the wise and the noble; And after that cometh the day of my power; then shall the poor, the lame, and the blind, and the deaf, come in unto the marriage of the Lamb, and partake of the supper of the Lord, prepared for the great day to come."

However in Luke we find:

Luke 14:

16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:

17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.

19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.

20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

22 And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.

23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

24 For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

Does it seem like the concepts have been changed?

If I were LDS, I would take it that the DnC is talking about "spiritually" rich and "spiritually" poor amongst all the nations. Those that are spiritually rich and wise in spirit will be the first to come to the table that is before us, that is currently the Lords table that we partake in communion (or sacrement in LDS words) at a time before Jesus comes in power. After Jesus comes in his power, those that are "spiritually" poor, lame, blind and deaf will also come to his table.

Whareas Luke 14 is a parable aimed at the Jews of Jesus day. The rich/poor contrast is actually a message that those that think they are spiritually rich and think they re right with God and should have been the ones to come to Jesus and His banquet are the ones that have refused Him. So He turned His ministry to downcast and excluded people, those that were not considered spiritually rich at the time.

Doctrine and Covenants (58:4-11) talks about a great feast that happens some time in the future.

"Yea, a supper of the house of the Lord, well prepared, unto which all nations shall be invited. First the rich and the learned, the wise and the noble; And after that cometh the day of my power; then shall the poor, the lame, and the blind, and the deaf, come in unto the marriage of the Lamb, and partake of the supper of the Lord, prepared for the great day to come."

However in Luke we find:

Luke 14:

16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:

17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.

19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.

20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

22 And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.

23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

24 For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

Does it seem like the concepts have been changed?

The answer has to do with the scripture presentation of symbolism. Many think that the rich, the learned and the noble are the favored of G-d. The Doctrine and Covenants symbolically inform us that when all the dust has cleared that it is the poor, the weak and the sick of the earth that in the end will find favor with G-d and sit at his honored table.

The Traveler

The answer has to do with the scripture presentation of symbolism. Many think that the rich, the learned and the noble are the favored of G-d. The Doctrine and Covenants symbolically inform us that when all the dust has cleared that it is the poor, the weak and the sick of the earth that in the end will find favor with G-d and sit at his honored table.

The Traveler

The invite for the Banquet goes out to all, eh?

The parable in the Inspired Version of Matthew chapter 22 is a little different:

1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.

7 But when the king heard that his servants were dead, he was wroth; and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.

8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.

10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen, wherefore all do not have on the wedding garment.

The invite for the Banquet goes out to all, eh?

Yes - the invite does go out to all but it would seem the rich are more interested in other things. Jesus indicated that the rich have a harder time than the poor when it comes to spiritual things - I would also add that if you are viewing this from your own computer - you should consider yourself in the class of "rich".

The Traveler

Yes - the invite does go out to all but it would seem the rich are more interested in other things. Jesus indicated that the rich have a harder time than the poor when it comes to spiritual things - I would also add that if you are viewing this from your own computer - you should consider yourself in the class of "rich".

The Traveler

define the word rich? I don't see myself as poor - I have a roof over my head, food in my belly and shoes on my kids feet, and central heating. Only the food is an absolute essential to life so that makes me rich - I am richer than most in that the air I breathe is not heavily polluted. I can read and write so that makes me more learned than most who have walked the earth, but then I can;t skin a rabbit, track my pray so am I more learned? I follow God to best of my ability so I would be wise. Nobility comes from being a creation of my Heavenly Father

-Charley

Those that are spiritually rich and wise in spirit will be the first to come to the table that is before us, that is currently the Lords table that we partake in communion (or sacrement in LDS words) at a time before Jesus comes in power. After Jesus comes in his power, those that are "spiritually" poor, lame, blind and deaf will also come to his table.

On the contrary, it is written (Luke 13:29-30) And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

On the contrary, it is written (Luke 13:29-30) And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

I took this verse to mean that some may view themselves as holy and worthy to partake in the Kingdom of God, and expect to be seated first - but they will actually be seated last as they are not as righteous as they presume to be. This verse in my opionion only solidifies the post that you are saying it contradicts.

Regarding the rich being favored - I think the Bible makes it quite clear that this is not the case.

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Mathew 19:24

I took this verse to mean that some may view themselves as holy and worthy to partake in the Kingdom of God, and expect to be seated first - but they will actually be seated last as they are not as righteous as they presume to be. This verse in my opionion only solidifies the post that you are saying it contradicts.

The post I was responding to said:

Those that are spiritually rich and wise in spirit will be the first to come to the table that is before us...After Jesus comes in his power, those that are "spiritually" poor, lame, blind and deaf will also come to his table.

The way I read this is that the rich and wise get to enjoy the Banquet of Christ now, and sometime after Christ comes in power, the poor will get to enjoy the scraps.

I read in BOTH accounts that the rich were invited first... and they came not...so the poor were gathered because HE knew they would come when asked.

I see it as an obedience thing. MY perspective... and no throwing of rotten fruit now please:-) is that in Gods kingdom the "least" are the most loyal followers. Rich or poor is perceptual and VERY biased by personal view. In Gods followers the "rich" were invited to the feast. They had been so blessed by their God that they took it for granted and felt that the feast was unimportant. The master then, fed up by their pride, invited those who were poor in their lives (not financially necessarily) and invited them in to share of His bounty.

Historically, scripture wise anyway, God has blessed a group of people because of their righteousness. They have then been called upon to confirm their loyalty to their stewardship and so many times have they failed to take care of what He graced them with. He took it away and gave it to the "least" because they appreciated what they had. I believe that is what these two things are talking about.

I think the supper to which all nations are invited is now. The rich, the learned, the wise and the noble of the earth are eating and drinking the fat of the thereof. Look at the unprecedented consumption and celebration of the earth's resources.

But soon comes the day of the LORD's power. Then the poor, the lame, the blind and deaf shall partake of the supper.

Today the rich commit terrible acts of oppresion and feast on the backs of the poor. But our counsel is: 'be subject to the powers that be, until he reigns whose right it is to reign, and subdues all enemies under his feet.' (v. 22)

The rich and noble will be eating and drinking when the LORD arrives, but those ready for his return will not be caught off gaurd.

-a-train

well my hope is this that God doesnt mean rich as in wealth but in other means and that i to hope one day that i would be good enough to sit at His table and those that i love. I to believe that i do what i can in my spiritual walk with my Heavenly Father at this time. For i believe that i cant do anything without Him.