"Using New Media to Support the Work of the Church."

Andy_Plsn

so i know its on the front page of this page and that there is a pole about it but i just was wondering how many people are actualy doing it... i think its a great way to spread the word and we all dont need to make a new blog, well i didnt even though i just started my blog like a week ago but yeah... like i said i dont think its a big deal because its such a big part of our lives and hey what if someone does stumble upon your blog or whatever or myspace... i know that both my blog and myspace have stuff about the church on them and its not that big of a deal how long does it take... well i was just wondering what every one was doing with this subject... i know this may just look like a big advertisement to all of you but its not...

click here to read the talk

but yeah you all should post what you are doing to give the people who are hung up on what to do an idea or something

-andy

i dont know if i posted this in the right place but yeah i didnt know where to put it

You may be quite surprised to hear that there are some members in our Ward who regard the Internet as 'The work of the Devil' to the extent that they will not even have an online connection in their home! I find this quite odd, especially considering the Church has an official website which I use quite a lot when preparing talks and lessons.

I hadn't previously read this talk by Elder Ballard but I am going to make sure that I pass it along to others who also may not have come across it.

I do mention the fact that I'm LDS on MySpace and other forums where I am a member. I often discuss the church with other members of those forums when the opportunity arises but I have never actually featured it much in a blog - I think that's an excellent idea though and one which I will work on now. (If I don't forget - I've got a memory like a sieve!

I don't keep a blog, (I probably would do it for like a week and give up on it). I really don't even know what a "pod cast" is, except some recording. (and I'm even a Computer programmer).

I do think these little things are probably starting to help. I was much surprised to see the LDS church have its own Youtube portal

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=LDSPublicAffairs

I guess it has been up for a while. The bigger obstacle is not really providing the truth, and realize there are plenty of us LDS members out there. But that there are so many sides to choose from, and its tuff to know which are really the right/current source.

As you have seen on Youtube videos they always have a section on the same page of "related content" most of these are other videos "Pro" LDS. There are others there aren't good. Even just searching for the Churches video (which was on the second page). There are some series of videos about being LDS and homosexuality. Then there is even one video titled "LDS Church Kidnaps Children"

The battle of spreading the gospel is not in full force over the internet! Who needs 60,000 missionaries, when there is 100,000 (or more) things just on the internet. I guess maybe this is the way we are going to reach the world. No need to knock on every door, just have a youtube video of the discussions (at least General Conference is online)

Does anyone else remember not long ago when we were being told that we shouldn't have our own website about the church and that everything was to be deleted? I remember that being read out from the stand in the chapel. We were told that the only website the church approved of was the official lds.org and that anything else of an individual nature was too much open to containing errors and personal opinions so we were asked to remove any that we had. This seems like a total u-turn now.

You may be quite surprised to hear that there are some members in our Ward who regard the Internet as 'The work of the Devil' to the extent that they will not even have an online connection in their home!

What is their position on other electric appliances? Have they commented on "Dark Toast" as being a fence sitter in the "Kitchen Wars in Heaven"? ;)

Well I don't know about the toasters but there's one couple who don't even have a TV! Can you imagine life without a TV?

Yes I can, I have not had a tv since 1999. Haven't missed it one iota. Get my news via select on-line news papers and then my Hubby reads the paper while he is eating his dinner at work. Then he tells me about it, I look it up on-line.

As for comic relief and entertainment, I get that from BOOKS, or from movies. We subscribe to Netflix. Then once every two months or so we need a movie theatre popcorn fix so we go to the brand new multiplex theatre in town and see a movie.

Does anyone else remember not long ago when we were being told that we shouldn't have our own website about the church and that everything was to be deleted? I remember that being read out from the stand in the chapel. We were told that the only website the church approved of was the official lds.org and that anything else of an individual nature was too much open to containing errors and personal opinions so we were asked to remove any that we had. This seems like a total u-turn now.

Yes I remember that - but those web sites were different than what they are suggesting now. They were way different than the LDS based forums we are on too.

The church has not really done a U-turn, they have taken a long hard look at what is happening on the internet and it is inevitable that this was going to take place.

MorningStar- your blog is a perfect example of what the leaders are asking us to do via internet blogs. There isn't a more perfect example of what a LDS is, then to peek into the daily life of one.

Our individual blogs should not be full of preaching, they should be about our own feelings.

I heard once during a Stake Conference that the LDS Church needs no defending. If you are unsure of how to answer questions put to you by investigators, particular if you feel the investigator is a bit hostile, answer by giving your spirit filled testimony. YOUR testimony requires no defense.

By writing with the spirit in your blog about normal events and how they affected you spiritually- you are witnessing to investigators to the truthfulness of the Gospel.

By their fruits they will be known.

Hidden

I guess, as many blogs do you can put a disclaimer on it. I mean google has a lot of misinformation on it..and if you're not an expert or 'official blog or site' its fair enough to say that. This is what I know on my learning curve and I'm not the most authoritative source of information (not that anyone expects that of blogging and that's what makes blogging so interesting...the learning trek or the discussion that goes with working out how knowledge applies). If you want an authoritative source you click on that link, but if you want to know how people function and relate to knowledge you read blogs...I guess this is personal testimony and a very important source of information.

so i know its on the front page of this page and that there is a pole about it but i just was wondering how many people are actualy doing it... i think its a great way to spread the word and we all dont need to make a new blog, well i didnt even though i just started my blog like a week ago but yeah... like i said i dont think its a big deal because its such a big part of our lives and hey what if someone does stumble upon your blog or whatever or myspace... i know that both my blog and myspace have stuff about the church on them and its not that big of a deal how long does it take... well i was just wondering what every one was doing with this subject... i know this may just look like a big advertisement to all of you but its not...

click here to read the talk

but yeah you all should post what you are doing to give the people who are hung up on what to do an idea or something

-andy

i dont know if i posted this in the right place but yeah i didnt know where to put it

That talk is why I got on this forum.