72 Hour Emergency Kit

SmilingRedhead

Carrying water can be heavy when you need enough for 3 days. If you were to carry all the water you need for 3 days, that would amount to around 1 gallon of water per person. I bought a Sport Berkey water purifier and it works great. I bought one for each member of my family. As long as I can find a fresh water source, practically any source will do, each member of my family will now have over 360 gallons of water available to them before the filter needs to be replaced. I bought all of the bottles at Home. They were great to work with. They also have larger systems for home use.

Actually Foust, that's where your wrong.

While I grant you that carrying 3 gallons of water can be difficult, carrying a chrome-plated water filter the size of a commercial coffee urn is even more impractical.

Let me show you an even BETTER system than the one you seem to be inappropriately advertising here.

Posted Image

Yes, that's only one gallon, but it's easy to carry, and as long as I can find fresh water sources, when combined with coffee filters and a colloidal silver solution, it works just fine. :)

Carrying water can be heavy when you need enough for 3 days. If you were to carry all the water you need for 3 days, that would amount to around 1 gallon of water per person. I bought a Sport Berkey water purifier and it works great. I bought one for each member of my family. As long as I can find a fresh water source, practically any source will do, each member of my family will now have over 360 gallons of water available to them before the filter needs to be replaced. I bought all of the bottles at Home. They were great to work with. They also have larger systems for home use.

My understanding is the Sport Berkley only holds 22 ounces of water with a filter that can be used for up to 240 refills. That's only ~40 gallons of water, isn't it?

It is great for a 72-hour kit, for sure. But, you'll need ~10 filters to make it through a year. But then, I guess that's where the "urns" come in handy. They are expensive though!

My understanding is the Sport Berkley only holds 22 ounces of water with a filter that can be used for up to 240 refills. That's only ~40 gallons of water, isn't it?

It is great for a 72-hour kit, for sure. But, you'll need ~10 filters to make it through a year. But then, I guess that's where the "urns" come in handy. They are expensive though!

Yes you are correct. The "Urns" are definately the way to go for any type of volume. The Sport Berkeys are great for the 72 hour kits or camping trips. The Problem with the "urns" is that they are expensive. I will tell you what I did to get a "Berkey System" much cheaper. The most crucial part of any Purification or filtering system is the Filtering element. I bought a pair of Black Berkey elements (the same exact ones used in the Stainless Steel systems) and installed them into a food grade 5 gallon bucket. I also installed a spigot to the bucket I put on the bottom. It is very easy to do. Just go to You tube and search "homemade Berkey" and there are videos that show you exactly how. I saved about $100.00 doing this!

• 1 month later...