Do I believe the wrong things?

WANDERER

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanderer,

So you want stop being a fundamentalists (not counting myself one I don't have a great desire to stop you), I don't know if that is a great reasons for necessarily wanting to be a Mormon. I wouldn't place the LDS as among the most liberal of Christian groupings. Sure I can see a number of things that are quite nice in their take on the gospel, but if your planning to take your walk with Christ seriously from an LDS perspective then there are some of the things that they believe God requires of people who are wishing to follow him seriously that would take a fair bit of discipline.

Anyway I wouldn't count myself as a fundamentalist, not in the US sense of the word. However I would point out the following....

1) I nearly always address prayers to Father God but end with in Jesus name. It is how Jesus patterned prayer for us.

2) I believe that salvation comes through Jesus and only through Jesus but I aren't going to tell him who makes the grade.

3) I don't think anyone thinks mumbling a few words is enough, entry into the kingdom may be a free gift but walking with God is tough. If works were ever enough to earn entry into the kingdom then Jesus died for no reason, God could have just set the rules and expected us to follow them. However if you receive such a gift then don't set out to obey Jesus then you are mocking the gift he has given and how could anyone who has truly received such a gift treat it and the giver of the gift so flippantly.

I hope and pray that you encounter the risen Christ Jesus in your life even more, no matter what path you head out to meet him on.

only God can answer you if you believe the wrong things -when you pray what does your heart tell your head, keep a journal of your prayers and reread it every few weeks see where your study and learning takes you.

Whilst I am a Latter Day Saint, and I believe the Church is the bestway to reach our eternal potential I am not the one to convert someone only the Holy Ghost can do that.

try Mormons.org for basic beliefs, order a Book of Mormon, read it pray about it and see what God says

-Charley

Hidden

I can understand how a failed Fundamentalist might not be the right person for discipline.

I basically grew up in a Fundamentalist Christian church that was regarded as a cult...I went to their school, I went to Church twice on Sunday, I went to homechurch on Wednesday, Youth church on Tuesday, Reachout on Friday and did fun activities with the youth on Saturday. I got accepted into a secular university with scholarship funding...because my sister was attending the church university and the costs were applying pressure on my family I accepted the place. My family was upset about this because they thought I would get into drugs and stuff. It became an issue and eventually I was asked to leave home if I would not make the right choice. I guess they also wanted me to work for the church. My church and friends turned away from me because they felt I had not honoured my parents. I hoped for reconciliation and that I could sort things out. So when the missionaries came to speak to me I just felt how was I not honouring my parents even further if I visited the Mormon church, because my church taught that if you did this you were rejecting Jesus. Kind of a ship without a rudder, faith as my captain but no wind in my sails as to what to do. I attended a similar fundamentalist Christian church but they strongly disagreed with the beliefs of my church and I felt very uncomfortable as they were suspicious of me.

I write how I felt during my prayers and what I prayed for - on the days I can't pray on my knees or my concerntration is bad I actually write the prayer I want to say. Keep a list of the blessings in my life what I am greatful for etc I often find when I read back that prayers I have forgotten about have been answered and I note that in the journal as well. Ialso note scriptures or poems I want to talk to my Father in Heaven about to ask him for understanding or thank him because they feed my soul

-Charley

I am quite curious...Wanderer...which fundamentalist church was this? It sounds very controlling. My one counsel to you is that you study the Scriptures prayerfully, for yourself. Be certain that your disagreements with your parents' church are based on God's truth, and not on what you think oughtta be true.

Hello Wanderer,

I believe that you are being led by the Spirit in your quest to ask questions about those things that you have held, for so long.

You are most likely, an honest seeker of truth. One who is not concerned with the 'words' of man... and desires to know what is true, and is now, seeking only the Spirit, to be your teacher.

I would simply say to you... of course, I believe with all of my heart, that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, is the Lord's Church, here upon the earth.

I could go on, endless days, and tell you how I know this is true; but only you, can really know, for yourself. Once a person knows, then this discussion is remarkable.

I would strongly admonish you, with all the ability that I have to do so... that you download the Book of Mormon; turn off your internet connection, have a prayer and ask God, to guide you in your search to know IF the Book of Mormon came from Him; then, begin to read...

I would stay OFF of these forums and any outside influences... and seek to know for yourself, and allow His Spirit to teach you.

When you find out... then come back and tell all of us how it went.

I testify that IF you do this, you will know IF The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints is true or NOT.

IF it IS... then you will readily accept all of its teachings. If NOT - then you will leave this forum, and continue your search for truth.

Most important... you will be finished, wondering - - about the Mormon Church.

Keep it simple and go from here.

tDMg

LdsNana

I am quite curious...Wanderer...which fundamentalist church was this? It sounds very controlling. My one counsel to you is that you study the Scriptures prayerfully, for yourself. Be certain that your disagreements with your parents' church are based on God's truth, and not on what you think oughtta be true.

Great advice Chaplain.

tDMg

I can relate to some of what you are saying Wanderer.

I too believe that we should pray to the Father and not to Jesus Christ or anyone else (assorted saints etc) because that is what he told us to do. He did however tell us to pray to the Father in his name and so that is also what I do, ending my prayers in his name.

I don't believe that a loving Heavenly Father would condemn people 'to Hell' for not having joined, or having had the opportunity to join, one particular denomination. I also believe God's plan is bigger than that.

I do believe that faith is greater than works. We cannot buy our salvation through our deeds alone. As Paul said, 'lest any man should boast'. I believe that our deeds follow our faith because of our faith - in the same way that Jesus said, 'If ye love me, keep my commandments.' He also complained about people who have left him naked and starving and explained that when we do that to our fellow men we are doing it to him.

I'm a Latter-day Saint and it is true that these are all things which are taught in our Church but I do not believe them because I am a Latter-day Saint, I am a Latter-day Saint because I believe them. These are beliefs I came to through prayer following Bible study long before I'd ever even heard of the Book of Mormon. I could not understand how anyone could read the same Bible I was reading and not believe these same things - then I found a church which did.

You must not approach this by logic though or because of anything anyone says to you on this forum or elsewhere. You need to have your own conviction in your heart that this is true. Let spirit speak to spirit. When you have that then no amount of persuasion by human beings can affect what you believe.

I know the church I belong to is the true church on earth as organised and lead by the Saviour himself. No human being has convinced me of that and no human being could ever convince me otherwise.

Do as others have said and read the Book of Mormon online - or even get your computer to read it to you. When I first tried reading it I struggled over how to pronounce the unfamiliar names. When you get to Alma and read the bit about faith being like a seed consider that you have just started by planting yours and watering it. It will be a fragile little shoot to start with but the more you water it and care for it the stronger it will grow.

Heavely Father loves all his children and I believe he has guided you here to ask these questions. Learn all you can, and above all pray about everything you learn.

Hidden

Nanna thankyou for speaking from your heart to me. I have read the book of Mormon. My mother actually kept a rather liberal bookshelf with many books on it that weren't a high probability...at least until we became further involved and she decided that some books were 'dangerous'. I guess that kind of teaching influences later decisions. I feel like I should read it again.

The idea of 'shopping' for a religion that fits your beliefs ....ewww. Something along the lines of this..?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do,

because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

Susan B. Anthony

I'm really just stumbling on things and questioning and a tad confused.

But I guess any question that is asked of me is worth exploring, even if it is 'morally uncomfortable'. That being said I haven't accepted all of the teachings of my church and I guess always thought that the 'wrongness' is internal. Romans 14:4...there is strength you can rely on there even when facing that about yourself. LOL perhaps you are right ...from questioning to spiritual crisis in 3 posts LOL. Oh well, I do have a sense of humour about the stuff I put myself through.

Hidden

Okay. Where do I start when I read the book of Morman? I'm on the title page and I can't understand any of it, is there like a reading guide? Anyway one page at a time.

I go back to work the day after tomorrow...it's one of those things where I really want to focus on something and give it my complete attention but I just know how busy I'm going to be with work. Timing. Doh!

Never mind the second page just got better.

Hidden

I read Nephi 1. Nephi prayed for direction and God gave him understanding and wisdom and revealed things to him. His brothers asked him for explanations or looked to their own understandings and there were consequences for that. What a difference it means to have a personal revelation, Knowing is not the same thing as seeking.

I'm glad that you encouraged me to start reading for myself. I think I need to stop and think and pray.

I read Nephi 1. Nephi prayed for direction and God gave him understanding and wisdom and revealed things to him. His brothers asked him for explanations or looked to their own understandings and there were consequences for that. What a difference it means to have a personal revelation, Knowing is not the same thing as seeking.

I'm glad that you encouraged me to start reading for myself. I think I need to stop and think and pray.

Search, Ponder and Pray (a song for children):

1. I love to read the holy scriptures,

And, ev’ry time I do,

I feel the Spirit start to grow within my heart—

A testimony that they’re true.

2. So, prayerfully I’ll read the scriptures

Each day my whole life through.

I’ll come to understand.

I’ll heed the Lord’s command

And live as he would have me do.

Chorus

Search, ponder, and pray

Are the things that I must do.

The Spirit will guide, and, deep inside,

I’ll know the scriptures are true.

Words: Jaclyn Thomas Milne, b. 1949. © 1986 IRI

HiJolly

Hidden

Jolly I got so wrapped up in reading and thinking about what I was reading I realised the sun had come up and I'd forgotten the time. I'm not tired at all. But I'm sure that will catch up with me later today. Oh and I should eat something (and there's probably a mile of stuff I will have to do, vacuuming probably isn't a good idea this early in the morning LOL). But its kinda nice to hear all the birds wake up. I prayed for the first time in a long time and I'm feeling much more peace in my heart.

3. That faith is more important than works. There is something a bit dodgy about believing that you don't have to do anything at all, except mumble a few words every now and then and your relationship with God is right. I don't think that's the true message.

LOL thats the part that started me looking at the church before I joined.

to hear ignorant people sum christianity up as "believing that you don't have to do anything at all, except mumble a few words every now and then and your relationship with God is right" is just as annoying to me as when i hear ignorant christians saying that mormonism is a cult. true, born-again christians don't believe it is that simple and i read anthony's post that summed it up so well:

"I don't think anyone thinks mumbling a few words is enough, entry into the kingdom may be a free gift but walking with God is tough. If works were ever enough to earn entry into the kingdom then Jesus died for no reason, God could have just set the rules and expected us to follow them. However if you receive such a gift then don't set out to obey Jesus then you are mocking the gift he has given and how could anyone who has truly received such a gift treat it and the giver of the gift so flippantly."

I think that answers itself. Faith without works is dead, but so is works without faith. Both are important in a balanced setting. 'Mumbling a few words' would be like the vain repetitions of the heathens that we are told we should not emulate. Unfortunately I do know some people who think that so long as they do that they are fine and dandy. They sin on Saturday but confess on Sunday, say a few prayers and wipe the slate clean for a new start on Monday.

to hear ignorant people sum christianity up as "believing that you don't have to do anything at all, except mumble a few words every now and then and your relationship with God is right" is just as annoying to me as when i hear ignorant christians saying that mormonism is a cult. true, born-again christians don't believe it is that simple and i read anthony's post that summed it up so well:

"I don't think anyone thinks mumbling a few words is enough, entry into the kingdom may be a free gift but walking with God is tough. If works were ever enough to earn entry into the kingdom then Jesus died for no reason, God could have just set the rules and expected us to follow them. However if you receive such a gift then don't set out to obey Jesus then you are mocking the gift he has given and how could anyone who has truly received such a gift treat it and the giver of the gift so flippantly."

entry into the kingdom may be a free gift but walking with God is tough

Sounds like a description of the Celestial and Telestial kingdoms by someone who doesn't know what they are lookin at to me :)

Hidden

well I did ask if I believed the wrong things...and while I followed that statement with "I don't think that's the true message", generalising about what an entire church believes was a bit arrogant. I apologise. I don't know if I can edit that post. And I think if you follow the entire thread you'll notice with quiet tact and grace how many people have suggested that I pray.

Wanderer,

Thanks for your updates on how things are going with your search. You may or may not have been introduced to it, but I think it might be helpful to review the promise of the Book of Mormon, found in Moroni, chapter 10, verses 3-5:

Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

To me, he seems to lay out these steps:

• Read the Book of Mormon (or any other thing which purports to be true).
  • Ponder on it. This includes reasoning, meditation, asking questions, etc.
  • Receive it in your heart. This means that you have a desire to believe and a willingness to act on the truth if the book is true.
  • Pray with real intent. Again, this is active prayer, including a willingness to live by the answers you receive from God.
  • Listen for God to answer. It may not be a voice or a vision, but through the feelings of the Spirit of God, He will send an answer in a way you will recognize. This may be immediate, or it may take time and repeated prayer.
I hope that you will continue in this process and receive the answers that God wants you to know. It is a joyous journey.