Do I believe the wrong things?

WANDERER

LDS scripture call's the three God. It might be very imprecise to call three God's God, but that's what LDS do. They certainly don't mean one God in the creedal sense. So they can call the Godhead God, but the oneness is figurative in the three are God's not literally the same being.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Malcolm

Jonboy:

Semantics, again. God is not necessarily a name but and "adjective" or descriptor that denotes Theos=deity, divine in the most high sense. Remember: E-manu-el "God with/among us. The Spirit is [a} God as it is part of the Trinity. Although a (physically) separate entity like The Son they form one perfect unity of purpose. I thing reading the scriptures and starting at the basics will help you conceptualize a bit better. It is like trying to visualize a differential equation before taking Algebra. In time my friend.

Every child of God, who has or ever will come to earth, will bow the knee and accept Jesus Christ as The Savior and Redeemer of ALL.

This is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is Universal and it will save, as in Salvation, not necessarily Exaltation ALL (except sons of perdition). Read section 88 of the Doctrine and Covenants for a better understanding of how God's laws function in regard to this topic.

To enter into the Kingdom of God, is to have citizenship in His community. His real estate that we are being offered residences, includes THREE KINGDOMS or levels... the greatest being The Kingdom of HEAVEN, where He resides.

No UNCLEAN thing can enter ANY of His Kingdoms... thus the great work of the Millennium to complete His work. Think of all those who never even heard the name of Jesus Christ in their life?

God is no respecter of persons. His Gospel is for everyone. To me personally, this is the 'true church' clincher.

The very first revelation that Joseph Smith recorded (as a teenager I might add) is Section 2 D&C. Section 1 was given later as a preface for the D&C. BUT this is the record and revelation that Joseph received FOUR years before he even got the plates.

This section bears witness of Vicarious work, which is to bring salvation to all of God's children. There is no way, at 17 years old... that Joseph had a complete concept of what Elijah's mission to the world would be!

Incredible!

tDMg

LdsNana

don't mormons believe the father, son, holy ghost are each a God

You shouldn't put it in such terms however because thats not the spirit in which it is felt.

And don't forget, when people die, they go to the "other side", not "heaven" as you think of it. The spirit world has 2 parts, one for good folks, one for bad/un-repentant folks. Neither of which are "heaven" or "hell" as you would recognize them. After Jesus comes, the spirit world will give up its population for everyone to go to where they belong for the millenium ( 1000 years of peace on earth) at the end of that 1000 years, every one goes to where they will spend forever.

See :) easy and clear :P

pentiuminside, if it's true, why shouldn't i put it in such terms? the spirit should be there if it is true.

malcolm, i was saying that in response to a post in which someone claiming to be mormon said they believe the father son and holy ghost are one God and not three. i think it confuses some people that may come to this board that don't know the core believes of mormonism. they may read that and think, oh, ok, they believe in the trinity and only one God. this, as we all know, is not true. mormons don't believe in the trinity and they don't believe in only one God. i'm a big fan of people believing whatever they would like to believe, i just like it explained clearly. i'm not printing false doctrine when i say the Godhead is three Gods, am i? i'm just responding to other posts, trying to get clarification.

i'm not printing false doctrine when i say the Godhead is three Gods, am i? i'm just responding to other posts, trying to get clarification.

It depends on what you mean when you say the word god. It's coming close but I wouldnt say youve crossed the literal line yet.

If when you say "god" you mean entity that created the universe, created our savior Jesus Christ, created us, and the only One in whom we pray to and worship , then yes, by all means we say there is but 1 God.

I think you are misunderstanding the fact that there is more than 1 entity that is greater than us in spirit and power, but we ALL answer to our Father in Heaven..you know the one that Jesus said " My Father, your Father...my God and your God. :P

"When one speaks of God, it is generally the Father who is referred to; that is, Elohim. All mankind are his children. The personage known as Jehovah in Old Testament times, and who is usually identified in the Old Testament as LORD (in capital letters), is the Son, known as Jesus Christ, and who is also a God. ... The Holy Ghost is also a God and is variously called the Holy Spirit, the Spirit, the Spirit of God, etc."

that is my understanding of how mormons should understand it. that's the mormon definition of the word God.

a thought just came to me (haven't had one of these for a while!:)) if we don't go to our perspective kingdoms until after the 1000 years, what do we learn during those thousand years. i've heard members explain it as that's when people who weren't married will have a chance to be and people who didn't accept the gospel will also have a chance to. so, if there's this 1000 years for people to make things right that they didn't before, why are there still 3 degrees of glory instead of just having heaven and hell?

32 For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.

33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

35 For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.

36 And this I know, because the Lord hath said he dwelleth not in unholy temples, but in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell; yea, and he has also said that the righteous shall sit down in his kingdom, to go no more out; but their garments should be made white through the blood of the Lamb.

37 And now, my beloved brethren, I desire that ye should remember these things, and that ye should work out your salvation with fear before God, and that ye should no more deny the coming of Christ;"

alma 34:32-37

what do these verses mean to you?

so, if there's this 1000 years for people to make things right that they didn't before, why are there still 3 degrees of glory instead of just having heaven and hell?

Thats a little longer of a story :) And taken in conjunction with further understanding from the Bible ( mainly the New Testament) it makes perfect sense. It also becomes apparent what the writers of various passages meant when taken in full view. That view however comes with a testimony. And that comes at different rates for everybody.

wanderer, sorry. that's what i kinda meant. is that 1000 years part of what it's referring to? is that included?

pentium, where can i read about the three degrees of glory in the book of mormon?

I cant recall off hand I apologize. I have recently returned to my faith after a long period of inactivity. At one time I could tell you right away :(

If I remember right its in Mosiah. Its also referred to in Corinthians and extensively in the D&C.

i scanned but didn't see it. another questoin though, who goes to which kingdom? here's my understanding of it:

celestial- the best, most obedient, most worthy mormons. and people who were mentally handicapped and kids under 8.

terrestrial- good people and some members who weren't as worthy.

telestial- bad people and people who didn't accept the gospel.

outter darkness- lucifer, the 1/3 that followed him, murderers, and people who deny God and the holy spirit who first had a full and complete knowledge of the gospel and God.

is that correct?