What is apostasy?

WANDERER

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apostasy (from Greek αποστασία, meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στασις, stasis, "standing") is a term generally employed to describe the formal abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy. In a technical sense, as used sometimes by sociologists without the pejorative connotations of the word, the term refers to renunciation and criticism of, or opposition to one's former religion. One who commits apostasy is an apostate, or one who apostatises. Apostasy is generally not a self-definition: very few former believers call themselves apostates and they generally consider this term to be a pejorative. One of the possible reasons for this renunciation is loss of faith, another is the failure of alleged religious indoctrination or brainwashing.

Many religious movements consider it a vice (sin), a corruption of the virtue of piety in the sense that when piety fails, apostasy is the result. Many religious groups and even some states punish apostates. Apostates may be shunned by the members of their former religious group or worse. This may be the official policy of the religious group or may happen spontaneously, due in some sense to psycho-social factors as well. Historically as well as currently, the offense can be punishable by death. The Catholic Church may in certain circumstances respond to apostasy by excommunicating the apostate, while the traditional holy writings of both Judaism (Deuteronomy 13:6-10) and Islam (al-Bukhari, Diyat, bab 6) demand the death penalty for apostates.

I am reading links from the gospel library, reading about people's testimonies and then got a bit confused about whether a seeker or investigater were the same thing or not quite and then I came across the word apostasy because this lady was talking about her sadness in regards to her former Christian beliefs being an apostasy and I'm not sure I understand it clearly?

You can get better explanation from actual LDS members, but the belief is that there was a Great Apostasy that started after the last of the apostles died off, and continued until Joseph Smith received his visions, and started the restoration of the Christian Church. As you can imagine, this is one of the main doctrines that make it difficult for LDS and to have harmonious fellowship with Protestants or Catholics.

There are two types of apostasy.

Personal apostasy happens when an individual does not live according to the truth of God.

Apostasy of a people (a nation, a church, the world, etc.) happens when certain necessary truths and/or authority are lost.

Regarding "this lady was talking about her sadness in regards to her former Christian beliefs being an apostasy," let me clarify.

Christianity itself is not an apostasy - it has experienced an apostasy. In other words, many true doctrines still exist in general Christianity, but precious things, such as the authority to act in the name of God, called Priesthood, were lost. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a restoration, meaning that unlike any other Church on earth, it did not split off from the ideas of another existing Church. All doctrines, ordinances, authority, and truth which is necessary for us to gain salvation through Jesus Christ has been restored anew, so we do not have to rely on past traditions or incomplete doctrines of the past. We respect other churches and agree with their doctrines as far as they are true. We have no argument with the good they do in the world. However, they cannot agree among themselves about fundamental Christian doctrines. This is apostasy.

As an outsider, I rather prefer when LDS capitalize and distinguish--such as calling what happened the Great Apostasy. The indication is that the truths lost were so essential to true church practice, that the church as a whole was in a state of apostasy.

Other restoration churches, such as my own, also believe truths were lost over time. For example, I believe that the church as a whole allowed the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be neglected. And so, with the early 20th century revivals, we saw a restoration of those blessings. At the same time, we do not argue that the church as a whole was apostate.

There is a passage of scripture that speaks about a great falling away--an apostasy. Most evangelicals see that happening during the Great Tribulation, when many will forsake Jesus in favor of the Antichrist. If I understand correctly, the LDS view is that this apostasy has already occured.

here's one thing about the Great Apostasy. people say it was because the priesthood was lost, but weren't there people with the priesthood on the earth then that will continue to always be on the earth that held the priesthood and were called to continue to preach the gospel and to baptise? if they had the priesthood, how was it lost?

The only beings of whom we know who had the Priesthood and were permitted to live past the span of their natural lives until the Second Coming were the three Nephite disciples and John. The Book of Mormon tells us that the three Nephite disciples were taken from among the people because of wickedness. It can be assumed that a similar situation occurred with John.

They still live, and they are still witnesses of Jesus Christ, but it seems that during the period of the Great Apostasy, they were not permitted to ordain others to the Priesthood until the Restoration, when Peter, James and John ordained Joseph Smith.

• 2 weeks later...

where does it say they were taken from the people because of wickedness?

10 And there are none that do know the true God save it be the disciples of Jesus, who did tarry in the land until the wickedness of the people was so great that the Lord would not suffer them to remain with the people; and whether they be upon the face of the land no man knoweth.

11 But behold, my father and I have seen them, and they have ministered unto us.

(Mormon8:10 - 11)

• 3 weeks later...

I am reading links from the gospel library, reading about people's testimonies and then got a bit confused about whether a seeker or investigater were the same thing or not quite and then I came across the word apostasy because this lady was talking about her sadness in regards to her former Christian beliefs being an apostasy and I'm not sure I understand it clearly?

We almost discussed this, you and I, in another thread. Apostasy is listening to an unclean spirit rather than the holy spirit of G-d. Since there is opposition in all things (no neutral or non-spiritual) – apostasy is then that excuse for not listening to and being lead in “all things” by the spirit of G-d.

The Traveler

The only beings of whom we know who had the Priesthood and were permitted to live past the span of their natural lives until the Second Coming were the three Nephite disciples and John. The Book of Mormon tells us that the three Nephite disciples were taken from among the people because of wickedness. It can be assumed that a similar situation occurred with John.

They still live, and they are still witnesses of Jesus Christ, but it seems that during the period of the Great Apostasy, they were not permitted to ordain others to the Priesthood until the Restoration, when Peter, James and John ordained Joseph Smith.

There are others that have received this covenant to tarry beyond normal life spans. We know of some at the time of Noah that called themselves "Zion". Today we call them the city of Enoch. At the time of Abraham this covenant was associated with a city called Salem. BTW - the term, meaning Salem on two mountains in ancient Hebrew is Jerusalem; in case you are wondering about the sacred meaning of that term.

The Traveler

Hidden

Ah ok Traveller, I can see where you are coming from.

My background is a type of pentecostal and demon possession is kind of ....casting out and all that with shrieking and praying in tongues scenario and fits and stuff.

Being 'deceived by the enemy' is closer in meaning perhaps. Thanks for clarifying.

: )

There is a passage of scripture that speaks about a great falling away--an apostasy. Most evangelicals see that happening during the Great Tribulation, when many will forsake Jesus in favor of the Antichrist. If I understand correctly, the LDS view is that this apostasy has already occured.

PC ~ Changing the subject of the post I would like to ask you about your beliefs of an antichrist....do you believe this antichrist will be a real person? Satan's offspring? :eek: I'm really curious about this because I've seen and heard about the antichrist in movies and stuff but don't know much about it. Are there Biblical references about the antichrist being a single person or entity like in the movies. The stuff I read in the Bible says their are lots of different types of antichrists....or do you believe in like the movies....the devilish guy who rises to power and rules the world mmmwwhahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply in advance.

I was just thinking that the portrayal of Mary Magdalen as a prostitute, rather than one of the Beloved, was probably an act of apostasy.

I think you are right. Way back in the cobwebby part of my mind there seems to be something there about in about 1000 AD it was feared that Mary Magdalen was getting a little too popular among the Catholics and was giving some competition to the virgin Mary, so one of the Popes wrongly declared her a prostitute. I think the present Pope has recently removed that "status" from her. Seems to me that she would have grounds for a liabel suit.

I think you are right. Way back in the cobwebby part of my mind there seems to be something there about in about 1000 AD it was feared that Mary Magdalen was getting a little too popular among the Catholics and was giving some competition to the virgin Mary, so one of the Popes wrongly declared her a prostitute. I think the present Pope has recently removed that "status" from her. Seems to me that she would have grounds for a libel suit.

Maybe she should call the law offices of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. :D

I understood that the backbiting became the standard line earlier that this (650 AD?) and was not so much due to competition with the Virgin Mary as it was a question of Apostleship-like status. Anyway, that is just from my vague recollection, possibly from some TV programs.

• 1 year later...

can you give any verse in the bible that there was an apostacy

I'll answer that question with a question...can you show me any verse in the Bible that shows me the fall of the Roman empire?

You can't because it happened after the new testament was written....just as the great apostacy happened after the new testament.

Besides it's in the Bible....one of them old prophets talks about a falling away of the Lord's church...can't remember the verse...help someone!