Hi everyone. I have a few questions, they probably seem silly but I'm unsure...

1) I know that LDS church frowns upon caffeine. Is it a complete banishment? The reason I ask is I don't drink caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, that kind of thing) but because of a history with migraines my doctors have me on a lovely drug cocktail, at least one of which contains a fair amount of caffeine (sleep? Who needs sleep?). Is it allowable if it's medicinal?

2) I grew up in DC and remember hearing that you couldn't just walk into the church there (the big one with the gold Jesus if you know the one I'm talking about). Is that true? Or better yet, (now that I live in Florida) does that stand for all LDS churches? Or can I go to one locally (if there is one) and show up for services?

3) What's with the undergarments? I've read the book of Mormon (not studied, just read), also read the Bible a few times. I could have not been paying enough attention, but I don't remember anything about special undergarments.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks so much!

1. Ok so it isn't the caffeine that is the problem. Granted large doses of caffeine are not good. But it is just coffee and tea that we stay away from.

2. You are refering to a temple. Those are only open to worthy members of the church. But you can go into any church and go to services.

3. Garments are reminders of covenants made in temples and you can learn more about that after you join the church and can go into the temple to make your own covenants.

Those were short and simple but hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I appreciate your answers.

Do you mind elaborating on the coffee/tea thing? I thought it was caffeine that was the issue, I had read somewhere (online, albeit not always the most reliable source) that soda/tea/coffee were all not allowed. Why just coffee/tea?

I totally agree that large doses of caffeine aren't good, unfortunately, without these meds, I seem to live my life crying and sometimes throwing up. No fun :(

Thanks Checkerboy. I appreciate your patience.

I have more in depth questions for whoever might have an answer, but these are more questions about Christianity in general then about LDS in specific...

* How can we know that what is written in the Bible is the truth? I know that sounds like a basic and idiotic question, but it's been one I've had my whole life and never gotten an answer. The Bible was written 400 (average) years after the death of Jesus. To take it into perspective, when my mother would tell me a story and my grandmother told me the same story, they weren't the same... they were different from one another. So how do we know that what's in the Bible is correct?

* Many other books have been found that didn't make it into the Bible. Why were they not important enough to make it into the good book?

* And the age old question, that I identify with the most - I've had a life wrought with problems and turmoil although I'm a good person (I believe). Why would a just God do that?

Do you mind elaborating on the coffee/tea thing? I thought it was caffeine that was the issue, I had read somewhere (online, albeit not always the most reliable source) that soda/tea/coffee were all not allowed. Why just coffee/tea?

I totally agree that large doses of caffeine aren't good, unfortunately, without these meds, I seem to live my life crying and sometimes throwing up. No fun :(

Ok, if it's an issue of medication/life, then all bets are off. Even though a Mormon can't go to the temple if they are drinking coffee, if a doctor prescribes it as a specific treatment of a health condition, then that member can still attend the temple. It's in the hands of the Bishop and Stake President, but the ones I work with would allow that.

And yes, the *membership* of the Church frowns, generally, on caffeine, but the Church itself does not condemn it. Did you hear about the study on the news today that caffeine increases the chance of miscarriage 2x? Interesting...

The gold statue on top of most LDS temples is a statue of the angel Moroni, not Jesus. It is because he was the "angel in the midst of Heaven, bringing the everlasting gospel" (paraphrased from the book of Revelation in the NT).

Special garments, as a indicator of covenant with God, were worn by the Israelites and still are by Jews. FYI. I'm thinking of the blue, white and tasselled prayer shawl thingy (don't know the name of it, sorry).

HiJolly

Ok, if it's an issue of medication/life, then all bets are off. Even though a Mormon can't go to the temple if they are drinking coffee, if a doctor prescribes it as a specific treatment of a health condition, then that member can still attend the temple. It's in the hands of the Bishop and Stake President, but the ones I work with would allow that.

And yes, the *membership* of the Church frowns, generally, on caffeine, but the Church itself does not condemn it. Did you hear about the study on the news today that caffeine increases the chance of miscarriage 2x? Interesting...

The gold statue on top of most LDS temples is a statue of the angel Moroni, not Jesus. It is because he was the "angel in the midst of Heaven, bringing the everlasting gospel" (paraphrased from the book of Revelation in the NT).

Special garments, as a indicator of covenant with God, were worn by the Israelites and still are by Jews. FYI. I'm thinking of the blue, white and tasselled prayer shawl thingy (don't know the name of it, sorry).

HiJolly

Thanks HiJolly! I wouldn't say that the caffeine thing is a matter of life and death, but I'm unable to function without the meds which is difficult. Ah well.

I believe that the shawl you're referring to is a Tallit?

I have more in depth questions for whoever might have an answer, but these are more questions about Christianity in general then about LDS in specific...

* How can we know that what is written in the Bible is the truth? I know that sounds like a basic and idiotic question, but it's been one I've had my whole life and never gotten an answer. The Bible was written 400 (average) years after the death of Jesus. To take it into perspective, when my mother would tell me a story and my grandmother told me the same story, they weren't the same... they were different from one another. So how do we know that what's in the Bible is correct?

Actually, I believe the average was more like 125 years, but I suppose I could be wrong, too. All those Pauline letters were certainly less than 30 years after the death of the Savior... I love your example of the stories from the Gma & Gpa. VERY EXCELLENT POINT. That's why there are 4 Gospels - and each of them is different, even if the original sources were basically Mark and Q. Still, it doesn't mean they are wrong, just like your Gpa & Gma weren't lying. The difference in perspective gives richness and enables a more balanced interpretation of what is being said, IMO. If we look to literal details in mutually exclusive black and white, I think we miss the point. Look to the message. Look to the agreements between them.

* Many other books have been found that didn't make it into the Bible. Why were they not important enough to make it into the good book?

Without the meeting minutes from the Vatican, I doubt we can know (barring direct revelation on the point, which is certainly a possibility!). I suppose the ones that didn't make the cut were 'heretical' in some way. Have you read Bart Ehrman's book on this topic? Very good, but not so good if you don't have a testimony first...

For these sorts of things, I look to the Savior's comment found in the NT in John 7:17 -- If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. Work it out in the DOING of it. See what the Spirit tells you. Then you'll know.

* And the age old question, that I identify with the most - I've had a life wrought with problems and turmoil although I'm a good person (I believe). Why would a just God do that?

Because this life is a 'school'. We have lessons that we must learn before we return to Heavenly Father. Some are set in stone (due to pre-earth life situations that we can't remember) and some are conditional due to what we do here, how we do things here. I think it's a combination, and we rarely know why all of it happens until after the lesson is taught/received. Only my opinion, of course.

Nice questions!!

HiJolly

The only way to really know the truth of spiritual things is by the Spirit of God speaking to our spirit. Give this a read - Mormon.org - How can I know this is true?

This applies to any scriptures, whether it's the bible, or book of mormon, or others.

Watch the little intro video at Mormon.org. It's wonderful.

question a bit more on #1

back then...when the word of wisdom was made it wasn't specifically known that it was caffeine causing the 'addictiveness'

plus..i've had many members tell me it's okay for herbal tea? um...herbal tea is HOT....but it does NOT have caffeine in it....

so why is herbal tea okay if it's hot? it seems because of a caffeine thing to me.

and they told me it was because the word of wisdom said coffee and tea..and non-herbal tea is from the tea plant..so that's what makes herbal tea okay because it's not from the tea plant.

but i thought the word of wisdom said 'hot drinks'

and what about hot chocolate. hot chocolate is a hot drink AND has caffeine in it!

i'm so confused.

question a bit more on #1

back then...when the word of wisdom was made it wasn't specifically known that it was caffeine causing the 'addictiveness'

plus..i've had many members tell me it's okay for herbal tea? um...herbal tea is HOT....but it does NOT have caffeine in it....

so why is herbal tea okay if it's hot? it seems because of a caffeine thing to me.

and they told me it was because the word of wisdom said coffee and tea..and non-herbal tea is from the tea plant..so that's what makes herbal tea okay because it's not from the tea plant.

but i thought the word of wisdom said 'hot drinks'

and what about hot chocolate. hot chocolate is a hot drink AND has caffeine in it!

i'm so confused.

Yes, it says 'hot drinks'. That has been explained since then to mean, specifically, coffee and tea. Caffeine is not included in the discussion, though as an 'addictive' substance, it is included in the Word of Wisdom, since addictive substances (like cocaine and crack) are also proscribed as being against the WoW.

IN MY OPINION. Deal with the ambiguity.

HiJolly

well sheesh...i'm just trying to learn everything i can. i don't want to 'deal' with the ambiguity. if this is the right thing for me i want to make sure that i am doing everything the way it should be done.

not sitting around wondering if it's wrong to drink a cup of hot chocolate. and for a new person, looking up the word of wisdom online, speaking with the missionaries or in her book it doesn't have a little footnote that says 'further explained elsewhere'

i'm not trying to be nasty or offensive. i'm just trying to learn.

Thanks Checkerboy. I appreciate your patience.

I would say you can never know 100% that anything is intellectually true. You can have degree's of confidence the Bible is true. But no amount of book learning will make you 100% confident in anything. Doubt's and question's regarding religion is normal even for the most knowledgable believer's.

I am inellectually mostly confident in the Bible. I have a few area's where i have question's about Bible reliability, but not much. I do not see the manuscript evidence against the New Testament reliability that great. I see evidence for New Testament manuscript's as existing far earlier than 200 year's not 400. The original book's are gone but early Christian writer's cited what book's they had.

I have read some of the lost book's of the Bible. I do not have a testimony that they are scripture. If the author's of a lost New Testament book was not an Apostle why should i think their book scripture?

I have had a life of problem's and turmoil though i am also a good person. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis i think in 2002. My leg's work, but not enough i can drive anymore. I just know God did not have anything to do with making me ill. Religion will not take away or solve the difficulty of life's problem's.

well sheesh...i'm just trying to learn everything i can. i don't want to 'deal' with the ambiguity. if this is the right thing for me i want to make sure that i am doing everything the way it should be done.

not sitting around wondering if it's wrong to drink a cup of hot chocolate. and for a new person, looking up the word of wisdom online, speaking with the missionaries or in her book it doesn't have a little footnote that says 'further explained elsewhere'

i'm not trying to be nasty or offensive. i'm just trying to learn.

Sorry. It's just a fact, though, that we have to deal with ambiguities in life. No getting around it.

If you drink hot chocolate, this will not keep you from being worthy to attend the temple. OTOH, if you drink iced tea, that would keep you from being able to attend the temple.

HiJolly

Hi everyone. I have a few questions, they probably seem silly but I'm unsure...

1) I know that LDS church frowns upon caffeine. Is it a complete banishment? The reason I ask is I don't drink caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, that kind of thing) but because of a history with migraines my doctors have me on a lovely drug cocktail, at least one of which contains a fair amount of caffeine (sleep? Who needs sleep?). Is it allowable if it's medicinal?

Caffine is an addictive substance. But, It is not neccicarily going to keep you from the temple as long as you use it prudently. If medicine is required, then it is required and nobody can object otherwise. I stay away from caffine because i know how addictive it can be. I used to drink a ton of mountain dew every day. and one day i stopped and ended up with massive migraines for days. Just take care of yourself and use things sparingly, as with everything you put into your body.

2) I grew up in DC and remember hearing that you couldn't just walk into the church there (the big one with the gold Jesus if you know the one I'm talking about). Is that true? Or better yet, (now that I live in Florida) does that stand for all LDS churches? Or can I go to one locally (if there is one) and show up for services?

Church houses are open to everyone no matter what thier afilliation. everyone int he world is welcome there at any time. feel free to come and check it out.

Temples on the other hand are a little different. Everyone on the earth is welcome in our temples as long as they do a few things first. namely the first principals and ordinances of the Gospel.

1: Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

2: Repentance

3: Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins by the proper priesthood authority

4: Laying on of Hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost

5: being morally clean, chaste, honest in your dealings with your fellow men, and living your life in complete harmony with the teachings of the restored gospel.

For some, this may seem difficult. but as you learn about the gospel, and pray to know if it is true. you will see the beauty and feel the spirit and come to know for a surety for yourself that the gospel is restored, and that families can be together throughout all time and eternity.

3) What's with the undergarments? I've read the book of Mormon (not studied, just read), also read the Bible a few times. I could have not been paying enough attention, but I don't remember anything about special undergarments.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks so much!

The undergarments are a sacred outward showing that you are living the commandments of God and keeping your life in harmony with the teachings of the restored Gospel. They also are spiritual protection. and they are only reserved for those members who have gone through certain temple ceremonies and taken upon themselves special covenants.

some joke they are "fireproof" mainly because they will protect you from the cleansinf Fire the earth will come under. but also there are extremely amazing stories where a person's life was saved miraculously and thier garments were perfectly intact when they became engulfed in flames. all the places the garments touched, they came out without a scratch.....