3 month supply

Guest Username-Removed

Guest Username-Removed

First of all, if you can get hubby excited about food storage, thats worth its weight in gold stars - If he has idea, chances are he'll figure a way to make his idea work. There's nothing like a couple that can work together on food storage.

Shelf Reliance is a good company as I have not heard anything bad at all. I dont use them simply because here in my apartment, I need something more efficient in terms of storage area. I ended up with some excellent restuarant wire shelving (check out my gallery) and my 3 month storage is now complete in my bedroom walk in closet!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, if you can get hubby excited about food storage, thats worth its weight in gold stars - If he has idea, chances are he'll figure a way to make his idea work. There's nothing like a couple that can work together on food storage.

Shelf Reliance is a good company as I have not heard anything bad at all. I dont use them simply because here in my apartment, I need something more efficient in terms of storage area. I ended up with some excellent restuarant wire shelving (check out my gallery) and my 3 month storage is now complete in my bedroom walk in closet!

I'm glad you posted that picture of your food storage. I never even thought to add canned hams. One of those could make so many meals: scalloped potatoes and ham, hot ham sandwiches, cold ham sandwiches, bits of ham for soup, omelets, lots of variety. Now I'll have to go pick up some to add to my storage.

Guest Username-Removed

I'm glad you posted that picture of your food storage. I never even thought to add canned hams. One of those could make so many meals: scalloped potatoes and ham, hot ham sandwiches, cold ham sandwiches, bits of ham for soup, omelets, lots of variety. Now I'll have to go pick up some to add to my storage.

Thanks. As far as canned meat, well here's whats currently part of the 3 month supply ...

DAK Canned Ham - You bet! that will be like gold in an emergency

SPAM - yep, takes like bacon when your really hungry!

Canned Atlantic Salmon - No skin or bones - There's a treat right there.

Canned Tuna Solid White Albacore - Handy when you need some protein.

Canned Chicken - Use thiswhen I'm tired of tuna.

Canned Turkey - Same here.

Corned Beef - Great on crackers in an emergency.

That does it for the canned meat section. All of that I actually use throughout the month with various dishes so that I can rotate properly.

Slowly, Im rotating out the Corned Beef in favor of just plain canned beef. That makes for a wider array of dishes over the corned beef.

Thanks. As far as canned meat, well here's whats currently part of the 3 month supply ...

DAK Canned Ham - You bet! that will be like gold in an emergency

SPAM - yep, takes like bacon when your really hungry!

Canned Atlantic Salmon - No skin or bones - There's a treat right there.

Canned Tuna Solid White Albacore - Handy when you need some protein.

Canned Chicken - Use thiswhen I'm tired of tuna.

Canned Turkey - Same here.

Corned Beef - Great on crackers in an emergency.

That does it for the canned meat section. All of that I actually use throughout the month with various dishes so that I can rotate properly.

Slowly, Im rotating out the Corned Beef in favor of just plain canned beef. That makes for a wider array of dishes over the corned beef.

Thanks for the meat suggestions.

I keep oil-packed tuna on hand--that way I don't need butter if making a casserole. I got quite a look from the Aldi's cashier when I bought 104 cans :)

Hey everyone, I just want you to know I really like this website. I'm a non-LDS, so nobody understands my food storage addiction :) This is the first place I've been able to go where I felt like I fit in. I don't understand why more people aren't prepared. All a person has to do is watch the news or read a newspaper to see they should be prepared. I've been into food storage for many years now, but have been feeling a strong need to be even more prepared lately (that's why I upped my storage from 6 months to 1 year).

Is it just me, or does it "feel" like a storm is brewing?

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but just wanted you all to know I enjoy reading your posts.

Guest Username-Removed

amightyfortress,

We're glad you are here to share your storage passion with us. My mom is not LDS, and thats something that we share as well. Its funny, we'll talk on the phone and she tells me how she's ready, lists here items and .... well its just great! We also enjoy talking about our spiritual sides too.

I wish more people were prepared. When I was set apart as the emergency coordinator for our branch, It was an amazing experience. A lot was mentioned and why we need to be prepared. My greatest fear is that many people in the ward simply wont be prepared, even though I have put tons of effort in it.

Quite simply, Heavanly Father knows there are bumps in the road as we near the arrival of his son. We can learn now, or later. If we are humble now, learn to be temporally prepared, as well as spiritually prepared, his arrival can be very smooth. I just wish more people saw that. It will be a lot harder than it needs to be I'm afraid.

amightyfortress,

We're glad you are here to share your storage passion with us. My mom is not LDS, and thats something that we share as well. Its funny, we'll talk on the phone and she tells me how she's ready, lists here items and .... well its just great! We also enjoy talking about our spiritual sides too.

I wish more people were prepared. When I was set apart as the emergency coordinator for our branch, It was an amazing experience. A lot was mentioned and why we need to be prepared. My greatest fear is that many people in the ward simply wont be prepared, even though I have put tons of effort in it.

Quite simply, Heavanly Father knows there are bumps in the road as we near the arrival of his son. We can learn now, or later. If we are humble now, learn to be temporally prepared, as well as spiritually prepared, his arrival can be very smooth. I just wish more people saw that. It will be a lot harder than it needs to be I'm afraid.

It's so true. Everyone should be prepared.

As an example: Hurricane Katrina. All that wide-spread devastation. 1/2 the city under water. People going without food and water and turning on each other in desperation. Now, if the entire city had practiced preparedness, and 1/2 the city was under water, then the other 1/2 the city would not be under water. That 1/2 of the city could have shared their provisions and everyone could have had food and water for an extended period of time. Nobody would have had to suffer. All the people frantically searching for food and water could have instead directed their efforts towards helping rescue others. (There is also something to be said for that city not being more prepared either, but that's another story).

But the bottom line is nobody in New Orleans would have had to go without food and water if the entire city had been practicing food storage and preparedness.

I ended up with some excellent restuarant wire shelving (check out my gallery) and my 3 month storage is now complete in my bedroom walk in closet!

how many years supply of gold stars do you think that would be?!?! LOl I can't believe you let us see your closet!!! That sure looks nice and organized. Thanks for the meat ideas! I have chili, soup and tuna LOTS of it. But we do eat those things. Corned beef... sounds good! I'll get some ham now too.

Im just finishing up my three months supply and thought I would share some of my ideas on this subject.

http://www.lds.net/file/pic/gallery/551.jpg (picture of my 3 month supply) The Shelving was purchased at Costco for $79 - This is very heavy duty wire shelving that I put in the bottom of my walk in closet!

Wow! This is fantastic! I may have to use the picture of your walk-in closet as a screen saver! That's very inspiring, Word. We're looking at a possible unemployment situation in the next six months, so once again, you all are just as helpful as can be!

Thanks,

Jean

Guest Username-Removed

Well Im feeling the pinch as well at work. Income, based on commission, has dropped dramatically. So, I had to figure out ways to stretch things out. Good luck to you. I think food storage is a really good way to stretch out income levels. For me, I hope that the decline of commission income is short term. Although, I am ready if income decreases for up to a year. Lets hope it doesnt go that far.

Remember not to put salt in a #10 can, it causes oxidation which is a nice way to say 'rust'.

I have a CD with 1100 pages of Preparedness Stuff from our Fair, if you want me to e-mail you the files I can do that. It has 3 DO (Dutch Oven Cook Books) 2 Preparedness Manuals, Water storage, Solar, etc., etc.

Abraham

Hi Abraham, if you have time would you e-mail me those files from your CD? Thanks very much!

tracy

[email protected]

Hi all, I have really enjoyed reading your posts.

I am in Mesa, AZ and we have weekly classes at the Church Cannery on different aspects of preparedness related to the "All is Safely Gathered In" pamphlet. Our instructor started a Yahoo! group called "3 month supply" to share ideas about getting and using a 3 month supply of food. She has already posted a number of the class handouts on Arizona gardening, yeast breads & rolls, and baking using baking powder & baking soda.

If you are interested, you should join, since the more people we have involved, the better the exchange of ideas!

This is the link:

3monthsupply : Building a three month supply

Guest Username-Removed

When I was a kid, my mom - who was not a member, never had powdered milk. 2% always! I had it for the first time at my Mormon Nieghbors house. WHOA! I was really not used to it at all. I always skipped the milk serving at their house after that! But, I will drink it now - because I understand the purpose of it. Although I still dont like a lot of milk!

Guest Username-Removed

I was looking at my three month supply and wanted to get creative and came up with this Cornbread Recipe.

I tried to simulate what I had once in Phoenix at a restaurant there...

One box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

1 egg

1/3 cup of milk (I used Soy vanilla milk -cuz that’s what I store)

1 tablespoon of baking powder

1/3 cup of canned whole corn (thought about using creamed corn)

1/3 cup of strained Pace Picante Sauce (use the tomatoes and the peppers in the mix only)

Follow directions on the box ...

Oven 400 Degrees

8 X 8 greased pan

20 mins until top is light brown.

Anybody got any ideas how to improve it im all ears

My Mom mixed powdered milk with whole milk. We would mix the powdered milk up after we got the dinner dishes done. Make up two quarts of it. Then in the morning, Mom would add 2 quarts of whole milk to it.

Oh, yeah- we got our whole milk from my Uncle- unpasturized, straight from the cows. Grandma would skim off the thick cream, and we all took turns making butter if we had enough cream. Generally we didn't, cause we all loved the cream on our cereal and fruit and cake!

WordFlood, try mixing it half and half with whole milk. And get the mixed up powdered skim milk real, real, real cold. That helps with the flavor.

• 4 months later...

Hello Iggy,

I also live in Pinal County and work at a community college in the area. Small World

Larry

Hey, Larry. Yes it is. The Internet makes it even a smaller one. I was born in South Dakota, raised in Seattle WA and lived for 30years on Central Oregon Coast. So there are quite a few members of this forum who are from Seattle and Oregon, at least have been from those parts.

I work for an Independant Insurance Agent in this area. I don't sell, I just take care of the insured's.

Welcome to the forum by the way-

Iggy

:-)

Well I should share with the group that I am fired up on my years supply do to it's being used all up in a 6 month run of my wife being out of work, and into several surguries over that time period. It turned our world upside down real fast. My years supply turned out to not really be a years worth but closer to 6 months. Anyway we made it, and now I do most of the cooking as my wifes arm and shoulder are fairly perminantly damaged.

Anyway as odd as it may sound all my meals are prepared with a pressure cooker on an induction burner. Yep 100%. You go with what you know. OK I do have and seldome use a bread machine as well.

With our years supply gone I am looking at things anew. In some ways fun, in others scarey. Things have changed in 20 years. No more giant pails of wheat for me!! I also, as one member of this group stated, feel some urgency in this. I will be purchasing a Myalr Bag sealer in the next week or two. I will be getting a foot operated model fairly close to the type I understand that the Storehouse uses. Except I think I may go with a 10mm seal instead of the 5mm. I have heard rumors that I may be able to buy the bags from the storehouse up in Mesa. Does anyone know if that is so?

Larry

[email protected]

In a truely odd coincidence I found myself in the same part of the state as the LDS cannery so I called ahead and got directions to the place. In my last post, I asked if anyone knew if the local LDS Distribution/Cannery's sold Mylar food storage pouches. The answer is yes. Today I bougt the last 107 bags they had left at the Mesa cannery so don't go there for them for awhile. I am sure they will get more.

I also looked at thier Pouch Sealer, a rather nice automatic impulse sealer, they do not sell those at the Mesa Storehouse, but I was able to order it from ldscatalog.com in the Home Storage department. It was a little pricey at $350.00. (At least I thought that was a lot untill I saw what a #10 Can Sealer cost!!!! Like 3 times as much.)

So bags it will be for now. But with the cost of fuel so high I am sure it will pay for itself in trip cost alone, compared to driving up to that part of the state as often as I would need to for my many meager future purchases. I am not going to be one of those that can afford to do an entire years supply all in one swat.

Thats it for now. I have no idea how long it will take to get the sealer. But we will try to share our experiances when we start melting bags, sticking bags, and wilting bags as a beginner.:eek:

P.S. Iggy. I was born in Roseburg Oregon.

Larry the PressureCook

[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...