Cold And Flu Season

StrawberryFields

My daughter is sick... :(

When someone in the family gets sick I give out the "order" no more sharing drinks etc...

Also I try to remember not to touch my face and wash my hands more esp when going to the store etc. I have noticed that grocery stores around here offer wipes for the shopping carts. :)

How are you staying healthy?

If you get sick what works for you?

Stay at home, in loose soft clothes. Drink lots of liquids. I too am diabetic yet orange juice has WAY too much sugar for me, so I drink lots of water or room temp herbal infusions.

I have to eat even when I don't feel like it, so I consume a LOT of chicken noodle or chicken rice soup. I also love tomato bisque soup and enough crackers to make it into a thick mush. Yeah I know it sounds bad, but I really like it.

I slather my neck, chest, upper back with Vicks and then put on an old turtle neck to keep the vapors and heat in. Slather the soles of my feet with Vicks and put on cotton socks, then wrap up in a blanket on the futon and try to read a book.

I sleep a lot, then eat some soup, sleep some more, eat more soup.

I also do not use Kleenex. I don't care what brand I use, when my nose is running and I blow a lot, tissues make my nose raw. I bought some flannel- like what you make baby nighties out of- in pastel colors, cut them into 16" squares and hemmed them. That is what I use. The more you wash them, the softer they get. I have also used clean old diapers. I have cut them down and hemmed them too.

If I am congested, then I get out my 2 Quart crock pot, fill it up with hot, hot water, turn it on high and put in about 1/4 c. of Vicks Vapor mist liquid, then put the lid on ajar enough so that the steam and vapors can escape. When I can find it, I use eucalyptus oil. That will loosenup the congestion and keep it loose. :sick:

Lots of water, fruit, honey and lemon drinks, paracetamol..I tuck myself up in bed with all of the above, and sleep as long as I can...I always have a nasal spray (Beconase) because I have trouble with a blocked nose/sinuses all year anyway, and I use decongestant medicine too if I'm too stuffy.

For sinus issues, saline nasal spray is good and it has no pharmaceutical/chemicals. With a really bad (impacted) sinus infection, a saline wash is very helpful although yecchhy to do.

I too use crock pot for a humidifier! The shower tabs (i think Vicks?) are also helpful.

But my favorite -- i just go sit on a bench at the beach and breathe the salt air.

How did CJCampbell get that moth to stay on his lip for the photo?

It is not a moth; it is a butterfly.

The photo was taken at the butterfly sanctuary in Camp John Hay, Baguio, the Philippines. It was a somewhat cool, overcast day. Butterflies are basically solar-powered, so very few were flying on that day. The butterfly was placed on my lip by the docent. Being a butterfly, it was not about to expend any energy it did not absolutely need to, so it stayed.

It tickles. Those tiny little feet really have a grip. They are actually hanging onto the tip of my nose.

I know missionaries are not supposed to have mustaches, but this seemed a good exception. :) Our mission president and his wife were with us and we all took pictures of each other with butterflies in hair, on noses, lapels, etc. Sister Hatch really hated the creepy-crawly feeling of butterflies in her hair, and her expression in that picture shows it!

I eat lots of garlic. It makes everyone stay away from me so they won't get close enough to give me their cooties. :D Seriously, it seems to work for me. I like to roast it and put it in mashed potatoes or spread it on some french bread. It's good stuff.

When I do get sick, I usually have a blessing (not for sniffles, but if I can't sleep I ask for one), I do the lemon honey tea thing, but I don't tend to do Vaporub because it gives me a rash. I also drink lots of orange juice, rest a lot, drink lots of water, and sometimes I just whine.

Avoidance of the flu and similar infections?

A) Do not touch thin mucos membranes with your fingers and then touch other surfaces. Most viral infection comes from someone getting virus on their hands and then rubbing their eyes or putting their finger in their nose.

B) Get lots of exercise -- it keeps your body in a state that is healthier and you are better able to fight off disease.

C) Sex (okay, only for marrieds). This activity produces a load of hormone production that fights disease. For singles, hugs actually produce many of the same chemicals, just not nearly as much.

I'll have to tell my husband that sex will keep us healthier. He'll be glad to hear it!

As for staying healthy, currently I'm crossing my fingers since all three of my kids have had the flu in the last three days. Do you know how much laundry that creates? My 1 year old and 2 1/2 year old are too little to know the importance of throwing up in the toilet so we now have the official puke bowl. It's disgusting and might be the worst thing about motherhood...at least so far. Sorry, I had to vent a bit. My hubby is out of town so I got to endure the flu alone.

As for my hubby staying healthy, he has used Zicam twice this year and it has worked. He used it the first day he felt he was coming down with something and then never got sick. I bought some today just to have at home.