Talk about your favourite Bible or BoM minor character

AnthonyB

A lot of heavy discussions going on, so I thought why not start a topic where we can share the some of things that unite us rather than always talking of that which divides us.

My favourite minor character in the bible is Jehonadab son of Recab.

Jehonadab son or Recab gets a small mention in 2 Kings 10:15-16, nothing that remarkable. However several centuries later in Jeremiah 35, we find that all his descendants are living by the commands he had given them, faithfully sticking by it even whilst the rest of the Israelites had fallen away from follow the commands of

God, yet alone their ancestors. For all his descendants sticking with no houses but only tents, no crops, no vineyards, no drinking wine would have been quite an effort. However I would love to have such a godly influence on my family that centuries later my example and life was still having an impact on my descendants.

• 1 month later...

Naaman was a great man . . . but he was a leper. 2 Kings 5. A fascinating story of a military general, wealthy, favored...but sick. Leprosy is an Old Testament sickness with strong links to sin in general. To see one so great humble himself and accept God's healing...and to see so many other minor characters in this story do their part--great great stuff. I love this story!

Ok I have to go with the three that I have on my bedroom wall.

First Nephi the son of Lehi, because he was such a great leader.

Second, Ammon, the missionary, because he is one of the greatest examples of being a servant.

Third, Captain Moroni, because this guy just rocks. If everyone was like him the very foundations of hell would shake.

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the two mentioned above I really like Zeezrom. I mean the guy's a lawyer of all things (anyone know a good lawyer joke?). But as he questions Alma and Amulek he finds himself more and more in trouble. I think it's funny really. He got caught in his lies and then realizes, hey! I better start asking some serious questions! I like how he is healed miraculously by Alma and goes on a mission. Talk about a complete change of heart and exercise in faith.

Ah, yes, and speaking of the Book of Ether. A character so minor that we don't even get to read his name despite all that he did for his people, yet he had such great faith as to have the veil removed from is eyes to behold the Lord. It wasn't until after the Book of Mormon was published that Joseph Smith mentioned that his name was Mahonri Moriancumer!