President Gordon B. Hinkley has passed away

pam

Guest AutumnBreez

Our daughter is a student at BYU and she just called us and let us know. This great man will be dearly missed by my family. He is now walking in the gardens of paradise with his beloved Marjorie. He will be missed but his teachings and his love for the Saints will last forever. I feel as though I have lost my grandfather.

My grandfather will be 96 this May. He is not a member but when he passes he will meet the prophet. I hope that my grandfather will accept.He is a bit stubborn here.

I understand what you mean about feeling like you just lost a grandfather, he is a caring man. I know that we will be blessed with another fine man to lead. Heavenly Father is consistant and will provide.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I called One of the Sisters from My branch to leave her a tone about it because we do not have tv here and she didn't answer. We could not figure out why the missionaries did not show up for a gathering tonight and now I think I know why. What happens now? I understand the 12 and everything but What really happens?

President Hinckley's funeral will be held within a few days. I would expect a relatively simple affair in keeping with Church guidelines on funerals.

Sometime, probably a few days, after the funeral the Quorum of the Twelve will meet and ordain President Thomas S. Monson as president of the Church. President Monson will select his counselors and they will all be set apart in their new callings.

Other than that, things will continue just as they have before. President Monson will undoubtedly be inspired to focus on areas of the gospel that may be somewhat different than what President Hinckley did, but we will not see any radical changes in how the Church does things.

CJCampbell, you have it just right.

It will be interesting to see whom President Thomas S. Monson will select as his councilors. Will he retain Henry Eyring? If not, President Eyring served in the First Presidency for a short time.

It will also be interesting to hear the comments and speculation from Church members as to whom will be the next Prophet and President of the Church. There always is speculation. But those that aren't informed should know that it will always be the next in line. No question. In this case President Thomas S. Monson.

It will interesting to see what focus, as CJCampbell pointed out, President Monson will take in his leadership. He is very, very different from President Hinckley.

I have posted a brief explanation of the Succession of the Presidency on the site History of the Mormons and Current Mormon News.

"I hope that all of you will remember that on this Sabbath day you heard me bear my witness that this is God's holy work. The vision given the Prophet Joseph in the grove of Palmyra was not an imaginary thing. It was real. It occurred in the broad light of day. Both the Father and the Son spoke to the boy. He saw Them standing in the air above him. He heard Their voices. He gave heed to Their instruction.

"It was the resurrected Lord who was introduced by His Father, the great God of the universe. For the first time in recorded history, both the Father and the Son appeared together to part the curtains and open this, the last and final dispensation, the dispensation of the fullness of times.

"The Book of Mormon is all that it purports to be—a work recorded by prophets who lived anciently and whose words have come forth "to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations" (Book of Mormon title page).

"The priesthood has been restored under the hands of John the Baptist and Peter, James, and John. All the keys and authority pertaining to eternal life are exercised in this Church.

"Joseph Smith was and is a prophet, the great Prophet of this dispensation. This Church, which carries the name of the Redeemer, is true.

"I leave you my testimony, my witness, and my love for each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

President Gordon B. Hinckley

April 1, 2006, Sunday morning session of the 176th Annual World General Conference

LDS Newsroom - Testimony of President Gordon B. Hinckley

President Hinckley legacy of Temple Building gave me my eternal family and endowments because he built the smaller temples so those of us who could not travel to receive our endowments and be sealed as a family. Since then those small Temples have given my ancestors the gift of their endowments and eternal families. His vision has done so much for me and mine and for the world. I thank thee oh God for the prophet :sing:

Guest Malcolm

I am in no particular distress although I will miss him. I am a convert and a month after I was baptized I drove to SLC for conference in October 1998. With no tickets, I got to seat for every session and during priesthood meeting I sat 10 rows in front of the pulpit face to face with the prophet when he addressed the brethren. It was just an amazing experience. He was "my prophet" and the only living president of the Church that I have known. His joy must be great now that he is able to emprace his wife and his forefathers.

A new prophet, seer and revelator will be chosen and sustained by the Quorum of the 12 shortly and the work of the Lord will continued with renewed emphasis under new leadership.

My wife & I (and quite a few others) had dinner with him in December; I last personally saw him at his last public appearance at the Utah state capitol. He was clearly not doing very well at that time (Jan 4th, 2008). I will remember most his sense of humor. Or maybe his openess with the press... I dunno...

HiJolly

I'm not particularly religious, but there have been many times that I have stopped on BYU TV when scrolling the list of what's on tv. BYU TV was always on my favorite list because I enjoyed President Hinckley's sermons from past conferences that the station would replay. He was truly an inspiration.

Heckya!