Preparedness in 2024

As I've mentioned before, I'm a part of a group known as GWES, the Global Weather & Emergency Alert Society. It's a group that's focused on the STEM fields, particularly meteorology and telecommunications. 

As I type this, it's been 2+ weeks of rain and storms across the United States, including flooding and tornadoes. This has, as you can imagine, once more put the focus on emergency preparedness. In fact, the stake actually had to tell members in certain cities not to come to stake conference yesterday because roads were flooding out. 

So the question... what is everyone here doing, as of 2024, to prepare? 

What sort of food storage is everyone here getting together?

Do you have your 72 hour kit?

Do you have a weather radio tuned into the National Weather Service's radio stations to keep you aware of emergency alerts? 

Et cetra. 

My wife and I are entering the phase of our lives that will be increasingly governed by health issues.  For decades, we've had a bug out kit in our house, and get home bags in our cars, and food storage, and all that.  Thrilled to live out in the middle of nowhere.  3 sources of power for our flashlights and radios and whatnot.   But now it's more and more trying to build up a rotating stock of medicines and medical equipment.  And decisions about where to live and what to drive are increasingly about local culture and crime rates, closeness to emergency services, and wanting more mild climates.  Driving around in Colorado snow is less cool every year.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:18 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Driving around in Colorado snow is less cool every year.

:nods sagely: Ah, global warming.

ETA days later: "less cool" = "warmer"; you people should be rolling in the aisles!

Edited by zil2

On 5/7/2024 at 1:18 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Driving around in Colorado snow is less cool every year.

The main reason why I left Utah. The older I got the less I liked snow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2024 at 3:59 PM, Ironhold said:

So the question... what is everyone here doing, as of 2024, to prepare? 

We have everything we need.  But we've never needed them through a laundry list of disasters.

• Winter Storm of 2013
  • The Tax Day Flood 2016
  • Hurricane Harvey 2017
  • COVID 2020
  • The Great Texas Freeze 2021 -- well, ok, we broke out the big camp stove for this one.  But that was all.  Everything else was simple repairs that took a lot of effort.  But no emergency supplies besides the camp stove.
  • Snowmageddon 2022
  • "Non-stop" rain for months 2024

We have a good home that has sheltered us well.  A couple of weeks ago, a part of our roof leaked.  We're still figuring out the best fix for it.  The damage was small enough to be below our deductible.  So, we have to do it ourselves instead of hiring someone.  And I'm lazy, so...

We've got the emergency supplies if we need them.  But so far, we have not needed them.  We've had power out.  We used the wood burning stove that we use every year.

We had two floods that affected us.  But it was basically just a huge inconvenience, not a disaster.  I feel sorry for people who don't have a house that is properly designed for flooding.