Temple Recommend taken away

tickalily

High School never plays on Sunday (games are during the week and Friday night).

Also, preparing to play HS ball in Texas is like preparing for college. They play on MLB size fields at age 15. It's NOTHING like Little League. It's CRAZY!!

If he doesn't play in High School, he doesn't play at BYU.

(He's already being scouted for Duke, Texas State, and OSU. He doesn't want to make baseball as career...he wants to go to BYU Law School)

My preference would be to NOT play on Sunday, but the deciding factor was BYU developing professional athletes and Super Bowl & pros being mentioned as positive example in LDS Conference talks. Are they sabbath breakers?

So, why does BYU develop professional athletes?

(First Presidency sits on BYU Board of Directors)

It can't be "right" ONLY if you're making money.

Bishops are suppose to hear the Lord. Whenever, a Bishop says something..one should check with God. If the Bishop is acting under his own direction....then the condemnation rest on his head.

What matters in the end is what does God say to that person?

Temple recommends are nice to have...but one does not get into the celestial kingdom because he holds a temple recommend. One enters into that kingdom when he is able to live the laws of that Kingdom.

And one of those laws is the ability to hear God in ones heart and another law is the ablity to put the kingdom of God first in ones life.

So it all ends up on what does God say?

Peace be unto you

bert10

I'm glad that you are the ones experiencing this and not those who are easily shaken in their faith. Bishops aren't perfect (obviously) and his judgements may have been misguided, but as others said... you should see your stake president about the issue. It sounds like your bishop is saying that your husband doesn't NEED to coach on Sunday because you don't depend on that for income. If he was getting paid it wouldn't mean that it's okay, but if you needed the money to maintain a stable lifestyle then it would be understandable. I'm in no place to say that his judgements are wrong... but your concerns should be heard by someone who has the authority to make those judgements.

I agree that Bishops aren't perfect. Sometimes Stake Presidents aren't perfect either. A few years ago our SP did something that in itself wasn't wrong - it was at the direction of the First Presidency - but the way he went about it was a bit hamfisted to say the least and at the time we even had a Bishop threatening to picket the chapel! To paraphrase President Hinckley though by the time everyone had calmed down and accepted that the 'what' was OK and it was merely the 'how' that left a lot to be desired, everything did work out.

Right now I'm a little dischuffed with our Bishop because he chose to say something on Sunday in Sacrament meeting in preference to bearing his testimony and saying what the SP had asked him to say regarding President Hinckley. What he did say hurt and offended some of the members and I cannot for the life of me fathom out why he should have done that, especially as it seemed he took some time deliberating over whether to do it or not. Maybe in the long run these things are sent to test our faith.

I'm surprised that your husband's attendance is called into question if he is attending 2 or 3 times a month for some of the year and every Sunday for the rest of the year. We were told some time ago that 2 or 3 times a month is classed as fully active. I do hope you can clear all this up with your Bishop and SP and that your husband gets his Temple Recommend back.

I disagree with bert10, Temple Recommends are much more than just 'nice things to have'.

a similar thing happened in my old ward. my friend;s TR was taken away because she said that if the bishop asked her to do something, calling etc, she would pray about it before she would do it and get confirmation. The bishop accused her of not living the law of consecration and didnt renew her reccomend.

Willow,

I think the law of consecration has a lot to do with the heart, being willing to do whatever or give whatever is necessary for building up the kingdom of God. That doesn't always mean that we end up giving all or doing all, but we should be willing. That truly, in my opinion, is the heart of the gospel--giving ourselves to God and his will. It's a beautiful thing. Like you said, however, we all fall short in one way or another at different times.

I work often on Sunday's......I travel for business 75% of the time and am in different wards constantly. I travel to foreign countries and I often go to sacrament services were I cannot speak the language, but I have retained my temple recommend. It is a very sacred thing to me, and I knwo that I am worthy of it......I believe your husband shoudl go to the Stake President.

If I were asked to give up my recommend, I would speak with a higher authority, because I know in my heart that I am doing what is expected of me, and following the Lord's Plan. The type of work I perform makes peoples lives better and I can spread the gospel while accomplishing my work also.

I miss Church once a month to go camping with a community boy scout troop. I informed the bishop up front that this would be the case when I first signed on with the troop. I've gotten a few sideways looks from some people, but the majority of the people respond with admiration. Ironically, the people that think I'm living in wickedness for camping with boy scouts on Sundays are the same ones who look extremely confused that I would join a scout troop without a calling.

• 1 month later...

a similar thing happened in my old ward. my friend;s TR was taken away because she said that if the bishop asked her to do something, calling etc, she would pray about it before she would do it and get confirmation. The bishop accused her of not living the law of consecration and didnt renew her reccomend.

When I hear a story like this, I usually tend to think that there's more going on than what's being told.

I have I have a nephew that is extremely talented in sports. He is on traveling teams for baseball. He also plays basketball. My brother and is way are way into it. Last year his baseball team went to regionals for little league. His team knew what would happen when they had a game scheduled for Sunday. He didn't play. He has never played on Sunday. My brother and his family decided they would not play on Sundays. Every team he is on knows he won't from the beginning. You can play the sports and be on the special teams and not play on Sundays. This brother also coaches basketball, his teams never play on Sunday.

Another brother had his little league team go to state and the game was on Sunday. My brother simply explained to his kids about his religous beliefs. He did not attend the game or coach the game. His assitant coach did.

No offence, but there is the ability to play the sports and not play on Sunday. Especially if Your husband is the coach.

As to wether your bishop is right or not I don't know. I just know you can do the sports and keep the sabbath day holy. To compare playing sports to someone working is not the same at all and sounds like justification.

When I hear a story like this, I usually tend to think that there's more going on than what's being told.

There's always more to the story. Without passing judgement on the particular story in this thread, I find that people present just what they want you to know so that they can convince you that they are in the right and the "other" is in the wrong. It's the "other" that is so self-righteous and unreasonable.

Sure,

There's always more to the story. Without passing judgement on the particular story in this thread, I find that people present just what they want you to know so that they can convince you that they are in the right and the "other" is in the wrong. It's the "other" that is so self-righteous and unreasonable.

Sure,

the one thing last few years has taught is to trust who the Lord calls, even if they are not at their best - my last Temple Recommend interviews were a bit weird lol I had the usual beautiful spiritual experience with my branch president - then I got my Stake President wonderful spiritual man he is in a bad mood, it was Mother's Day and Wife's birthday and I had not realised and been late, I now know all he wanted was to go home. Add to that I was at the 8 week pregnant mark, the time I was most stressed, miserable and worried about miscarriages and my fibromyalgia was horrendous, he gave me a hard time about not attending church every week. And we both left very upset I was in tears and he wasn't sure what to do - I got my recommend but actually what happened was exactly the right thing for me not sure what he took away from it but I am sure he must have. I came away and cried and cried for days - I just knew I had nothing left to give physically, mentally or emotionally, I was being bullied at church my priesthood leaders didn't want to know (again was the right thing for the Stake and branch at the time and I guess Heavenly Father knew I wouldn't go far and would find ways to deal with it) - the prayer that came out of that interview was the start of a long and drawn out healing process that lasted over 2 years (yes I know now need to get another one) as a result when I go in for the blessing I can answer YES I am worthy - without my Stake Presidents bad mood I may not have got as far.

I have also seen how years of turmoil have actually strengthened our branch when I was annoyed at my branch president - I should have put myself in the Lords hands and realise he knew the end from the beginning.

-Charley

I guess I am in the minority in that my first reaction is not to go to the S.P. but to instead fast and pray about this as a family and then your husband should ask to again meet with the Bishop to attempt to resolve this issue. Perhaps the Spirt will guide the Bishop to reach a different decision or at least find some common ground in which your husband understands and can live with. Once this method is tried and given a chance, then if it fails, would I ask to discuss with the S.P. Keep in mind that the Bishop is still the Shephard and has the keys for the welfare of the ward and its members.

It appears like your husband at least, can live with the present decision.

This situation is one of those rare times when different Bishops would handle it differently depending on their interpretation of the Handbook and stewardship.

Hidden

BY NO MEANS DO YOU GO TO THE STAKE PRESIDENT TO CIRCUMVENT THE RULING JUDGE OF ISRAEL FOR YOUR WARD, THE BISHOP!!! The exceptions consist of excommunication matters, etc. We should accept his judgment as the Lord's, because it is the Lord's.

If I were you, I would put the matter to rest. Prove to him and the Lord by "doing ALL that you can do," that you deserve a current temple recommend. If you can't prove it, you don't deserve it.

Look at this as a moment to reflect and ponder where you are at in your progression in life. There is somewhere, or something that we can all improve on. This might be one of those things.