Zietgeist movie

StudMuff

Someone showed me this a month ago. Mormons acknowledge the fact that there are such strong similarities throughout the world's religious and mythical paradigms both ancient and modern. We attribute this to the notion that a single teaching was given to Adam and we believe that there is one truth, but that the differing world-views from Adam to the present have all been the doctrines of men mingled with scripture. Thus these similarities do not lead us to conclude that all religion is based on the same fables, but that all religion has within it pieces of the truth.

We know from the book of Moses that Adam knew of the coming Messiah, the Law of Sacrifice, Baptism, the Holy Ghost, the whole gospel. As the years rolled on, apostasies necessitated restorations through new dispensations of the gospel.

Perhaps our friends will say that the Gospel and its ordinances were not known till the days of John, the son of Zacharias, in the days of Herod, the king of Judea. But we will here look at this point: For our own part we cannot believe that the ancients in all ages were so ignorant of the system of heaven as many suppose, since all that were ever saved, were saved through the power of this great plan of redemption, as much before the coming of Christ as since; if not, God has had different plans in operation (if we may so express it), to bring men back to dwell with Himself; and this we cannot believe, since there has been no change in the constitution of man since he fell; and the ordinance or institution of offering blood in sacrifice, was only designed to be performed till Christ was offered up and shed His blood--as said before--that man might look forward in faith to that time.

It will be noticed that, according to Paul, (see Gal. 3:8) the Gospel was preached to Abraham. We would like to be informed in what name the Gospel was then preached, whether it was in the name of Christ or some other name. If in any other name, was it the Gospel? And if it was the Gospel, and that preached in the name of Christ, had it any ordinances? If not, was it the Gospel? And if it has ordinances what were they?

Our friends may say, perhaps, that there were never any ordinances except those of offering sacrifices before the coming of Christ, and that it could not be possible before the Gospel to have been administered while the law of sacrifices of blood was in force. But we will recollect that Abraham offered sacrifice, and notwithstanding this, had the Gospel preached to him.

That the offering of sacrifice was only to point the mind forward to Christ, we infer from these remarkable words of Jesus to the Jews: "Your Father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad" (John 8:56). So, then, because the ancients offered sacrifice it did not hinder their hearing the Gospel; but served, as we said before, to open their eyes, and enable them to look forward to the time of the coming of the Savior, and rejoice in His redemption.

We find also, that when the Israelites came out of Egypt they had the Gospel preached to them, according to Paul in his letter to the Hebrews, which says: "For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it." (see Heb. 4:2). It is said again, in Gal. 3:19, that the law (of Moses, or the Levitical law) was "added" because of transgression. What, we ask, was this law added to, if it was not added to the Gospel? It must be plain that it was added to the Gospel, since we learn that they had the Gospel preached to them.

From these few facts, we conclude that whenever the Lord revealed Himself to men in ancient days, and commanded them to offer sacrifice to Him, that it was done that they might look forward in faith to the time of His coming, and rely upon the power of that atonement for a remission of their sins. And this they have done, thousands who have gone before us, whose garments are spotless, and who are, like Job, waiting with an assurance like his, that they will see Him in the latter day upon the earth, even in their flesh.

We may conclude, that though there were different dispensations, yet all things which God communicated to His people were calculated to draw their minds to the great object, and to teach them to rely upon God alone as the author of their salvation, as contained in His law. -Joseph Smith (TPJS p 59-60)

-a-train

• 10 months later...

Sounds like an intresting movie, regardless. Although BS on the whole Zodaic thing and Christianity. Of course the ancient world with it's polytheism and focus on stars is due to the fact that they had the truth of the gospel but fell away from it.

But intresting title, nontheless. I spent a whole semester in Literary theory class and the instructor kept pounding into my head about Zietgiest and it's meanings in regard to literature. So kind of surprized to see a movie with this title.

Has anyone on here watched the Zietgeist movie? I want to know your thoughts. I think it is complete bull.....I'm referring specifically to the first part. In the first part it is trying to disprove Christianity by claiming Christianity is all from the Zodiac.

What are your thoughts?

Zeitgeist - The Movie, 2007

My favorite part is when they say something about "Son" of God being a play on the word "Sun"

They could have a point if the Jews wrote the bible in English

Has anyone on here watched the Zietgeist movie? I want to know your thoughts. I think it is complete bull.....I'm referring specifically to the first part. In the first part it is trying to disprove Christianity by claiming Christianity is all from the Zodiac.

What are your thoughts?

Zeitgeist - The Movie, 2007

Don't entertained any purchasing DVDs or theater houses on this sort of topics...then he cannot make any movies.

Guest DeborahC

My favorite part is when they say something about "Son" of God being a play on the word "Sun"

They could have a point if the Jews wrote the bible in English

Actually, in the Hebrew tradition Qabala (the Jews), the Sephiroth which represents the Christ on the Tree of Life is Tipareth and is represented by the SUN. It also represents the SON of Chokmah and Binah, or of Kether, which is THE ONE, or what we'd call God.

Each Hebrew word (and each Greek word in the New Testament) are numbers, and each number can be related to all other words with that same number. It's a fascinating study. For instance, the NUMBER of the word Redeemer is the same number as the word Tempter.

The movie you refer to is interesting to me. I've seen it and much of what they say about the mythology underlying Christianity is true. It's weaved in with a lot of sensationalism and falsehood, though, and one must know their trade to sort it out. It's a good example of how ANYONE can prove ANY point they want using the Bible or other ancient wisdom out of context.

Bethlehem means "The House of Bread" which could refer to places other than a physical town.

One can take the Bible literally, and find salvation.

One can also take it metaphorically, and find salvation, I believe.

Edited by DeborahC