How can I strengthen my faith in the Gospel?

Gatsby

The whole Alma 32 is good.

This is what helped me:

27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than adesire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

Also spend time with friends who believe, attend church activities, read scripture etc.

Thanks.

Perhaps that's where you erred. There's no such thing as perfect faith. Once our faith is perfect it becomes knowledge and is no longer faith. I came up with a quote that I live by. "Fake it 'til you make it." The best way to know if what the prophets say is true is to live their teachings. Even if you don't know if their teachings are true, live them anyway. If living the gospel doesn't bless you, then the prophets are wrong. If living the gospel blesses you immensely, then the prophets are called of God. There's no in between. They can't be half right. There is more to faith than just inner belief. There's also actions that are required. Live the gospel, pray to get an answer, then live the gospel some more. Your faith will undoubtedly increase.

And to quote you, "Live the teachings", amen.:)

• 3 weeks later...

The whole Alma 32 is good.

This is what helped me:

27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than adesire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

Also spend time with friends who believe, attend church activities, read scripture etc.

I read Alma 32 a couple of days ago and it has helped me a lot.

Perhaps that's where you erred. There's no such thing as perfect faith. Once our faith is perfect it becomes knowledge and is no longer faith. I came up with a quote that I live by. "Fake it 'til you make it." The best way to know if what the prophets say is true is to live their teachings. Even if you don't know if their teachings are true, live them anyway. If living the gospel doesn't bless you, then the prophets are wrong. If living the gospel blesses you immensely, then the prophets are called of God. There's no in between. They can't be half right. There is more to faith than just inner belief. There's also actions that are required. Live the gospel, pray to get an answer, then live the gospel some more. Your faith will undoubtedly increase.

Alma 32:21

And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.

Good to hear, Gatsby. :)

Isn't the story of Enos profound? I really like his experience with prayer. I wish Nephi had forged more metal when he made his plates (small plates). By the time Amaleki wrote his portion of words, the plates were just about full (last verse in the book of Omni).

I was wondering, what are some things that you've done that have helped you keep your faith strong in the Gospel?

I used to think that my faith in the Gospel was perfect until recently I learned that I had what some call, "a borrowed faith" in the Gospel. Now, I want to find out how I can obtain a genuine faith in God, the Gospel.

I have doubts again. This fear that won't go away. When I study the scriptures I feel great but all the sudden I have doubts. Not just in LDS teachings but in God as well, does he really exist? Praying feels weird.

I have this debate going on in my mind 24/7.

Why am I feeling this way? Have anyone felt this way?

It is my opinion that you error in the manner of millions seeking answers in religion. There is a tendency to focus on yourself, your needs, your salvation, your blessings and your eternal rewards. The truth is that real faith is less about you and all about others. The first great principle of faith in G-d is sacrifice. Sacrifice is also the great example of G-d. It is my opinion that without sacrifice, one does not have a divine connection or faith in G-d.

The first principle of sacrifice is service. The big mistake many make is that they think religion, attending church and studying scriptures will draw them closer to G-d. This is like thinking that sleeping in a garage will make them a Chevy. All such things are empty and shallow without the depth of genuine sacrifice in committed service by covenant. If you are not committed to sacrifice and service you have strayed from the purpose of religion and attending church as well as a understanding of what is really offered in scripture.

Do something wonderful and kind to someone every day and make sure they have no clue who did the kindness – especially extend such kindness to someone that you do not like.

The Traveler

HI Gatsby...

What I can say...is that all doubts are a result of fear. Where fear exist it is because Love is not yet perfected in your life. And if Love is not yet perfected...neither is your faith.

1 John 4:18 - There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

This is what is "Tormenting" you at this time. By Learning to perfect Love in your life.....all the rest will take care of themselves.

The two greatest commandments that Jesus gave; is to Love GOD and to love our neighbours. All the other commandments given by prophets were subsets or lowers laws than these two. If we can keep these two commandments ...then we keep all the others.

Job was great in the eyes of God...and yet his fears was preventing him from being perfect in love for it is written....

Job 3:25 - For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.

So God used Satan...to make Job confront his fears. He did perfect his love for GOD in his trials....did perfect his faith...by his perfect love.

Let all your works be works of Love....

James 2:22 - Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

I hope this helps.

Peace be unto you

bert10

I was wondering, what are some things that you've done that have helped you keep your faith strong in the Gospel?

I used to think that my faith in the Gospel was perfect until recently I learned that I had what some call, "a borrowed faith" in the Gospel. Now, I want to find out how I can obtain a genuine faith in God, the Gospel.

I have doubts again. This fear that won't go away. When I study the scriptures I feel great but all the sudden I have doubts. Not just in LDS teachings but in God as well, does he really exist? Praying feels weird.

I have this debate going on in my mind 24/7.

Why am I feeling this way? Have anyone felt this way?

I have been active in Church for just over three years. I struggled with the whole concept of God and wasn't sure what I believed. When I started going to church, which was not something I had planned on doing, I felt the Spirit and decided that even though my faith was very small that I would completely "sell" out to the Gospel. If God was real and this was his church I would find out by doing all that the Lord asks us to do. I cleaned up my life, met with the Bishop and SP, started paying tithes and attending all three hours, home teaching, prayer, scripture study,etc. Brother if you will submit to the will of our Heavenly Father and come unto Christ- I promise, you will know for yourself and never again doubt. Surrender is the key. "You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray, pray without surrender" (song lyric) It has been a wonderful journey and it is a journey-an Eternal One!

It is my opinion that you error in the manner of millions seeking answers in religion. There is a tendency to focus on yourself, your needs, your salvation, your blessings and your eternal rewards. The truth is that real faith is less about you and all about others. The first great principle of faith in G-d is sacrifice. Sacrifice is also the great example of G-d. It is my opinion that without sacrifice, one does not have a divine connection or faith in G-d.

The first principle of sacrifice is service. The big mistake many make is that they think religion, attending church and studying scriptures will draw them closer to G-d. This is like thinking that sleeping in a garage will make them a Chevy. All such things are empty and shallow without the depth of genuine sacrifice in committed service by covenant. If you are not committed to sacrifice and service you have strayed from the purpose of religion and attending church as well as a understanding of what is really offered in scripture.

Do something wonderful and kind to someone every day and make sure they have no clue who did the kindness – especially extend such kindness to someone that you do not like.

The Traveler

Thanks.

HI Gatsby...

What I can say...is that all doubts are a result of fear. Where fear exist it is because Love is not yet perfected in your life. And if Love is not yet perfected...neither is your faith.

1 John 4:18 - There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

This is what is "Tormenting" you at this time. By Learning to perfect Love in your life.....all the rest will take care of themselves.

The two greatest commandments that Jesus gave; is to Love GOD and to love our neighbours. All the other commandments given by prophets were subsets or lowers laws than these two. If we can keep these two commandments ...then we keep all the others.

Job was great in the eyes of God...and yet his fears was preventing him from being perfect in love for it is written....

Job 3:25 - For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.

So God used Satan...to make Job confront his fears. He did perfect his love for GOD in his trials....did perfect his faith...by his perfect love.

Let all your works be works of Love....

James 2:22 - Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

I hope this helps.

Peace be unto you

bert10

Wow, thanks.