3 to 12 month supply

Guest Username-Removed

Guest Username-Removed

Ok this is something that I've thought about but dont know a ton about it. I realize food storage for 3-12 months consists of grains beans and that sort of thing. I have a friend that wants me to meet her father who is really into wheat storage. So it begs the question.... whats a good wheat mill/grinder? I want a quiet one if possible - living in apartments it might be wierd making a ton of noise grinding wheat unless i have the neighbors some whole wheat flour! LOL

Any ideas on wheat grinders would be helpfull.

Thank you

I just have an inexpensive cast metal grinder that is manually cranked; it looks similar to a meat grinder that my grandmother used to have. It clamps on to the edge of a table or countertop. I only grind up enough at one time to fill a regular flour cannister, as I have heard the nutrients degrade rather quickly once ground. It can be used for several different grains and nuts. Mine was a gift, but I think it cost about $30 at someplace like Harbor Freight.

We have a magic mill but it sounds like a small jet engine when it is running. I have friends who have Bosch grinders and mixers. I have seen a manual model like mentioned above at Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage or Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage same company just two different ways of getting there. I order a lot of stuff from them. You can get a pallet of wheat or a mix of products on a pallet delivered to your house for $12 shipping in the US.

Read up on how to store that whole grain wheat first. It needs to be up off the ground. Like on a pallet or wheels. Doesn't matter what kind of a container it is in,it can pull the moisture from the ground.

My friends lost 500 pounds of wheat that they had stored in 5 gallon containers sitting on their cement basement floor. It was rotten/mildewy. Ick, Ick, Ick!:mad: One container was chewed through by a rat too!

Guest Username-Removed

I will probably get the electric simply because I do have a backup generator, and fuel. But to be honest, Power is rarely out for more than a week anywhere in the USA, and when it is, the last thing we do is ... well grind wheat! LOL. I also have a pretty heafty power inverter for my vehicle - I get really decent 110 volts when I need it. But I do understand the back up concept here and the purpose of a manual grinder when all else fails. The fact is, the manual ones are pretty cheap to so why not have both?

Read up on how to store that whole grain wheat first. It needs to be up off the ground. Like on a pallet or wheels. Doesn't matter what kind of a container it is in,it can pull the moisture from the ground.

My friends lost 500 pounds of wheat that they had stored in 5 gallon containers sitting on their cement basement floor. It was rotten/mildewy. Ick, Ick, Ick!:mad: One container was chewed through by a rat too!

I sure hope they used that "bad wheat" as compost (or at least gave it to someone for their garden). So long as the "bad food" isn't meat or dairy, you can till it into a garden to enrich the soil. Wheat will sprout and if you don't want to grow the wheat (because you'd prefer your usual garden), you can then let it grow a little and re-till it under as "green compost".

I will probably get the electric simply because I do have a backup generator, and fuel. But to be honest, Power is rarely out for more than a week anywhere in the USA, and when it is, the last thing we do is ... well grind wheat! LOL. I also have a pretty heafty power inverter for my vehicle - I get really decent 110 volts when I need it. But I do understand the back up concept here and the purpose of a manual grinder when all else fails. The fact is, the manual ones are pretty cheap to so why not have both?

If you're into electricity, it would probably be best to have one electric mill, and two handcranked ones. The reason to have two handcranked ones is so two people can share the work, and in case there was some type of civil unrest where power was out longer term, you'd have a backup grinder in case the first one broke. Also, you could help out someone else who had no mill by borrowing them one of the handcrankers.

Guest Username-Removed

C'mon, be an overachiever :)

If you buy me the electric one of my choice, I'll be happy to buy two manual ones - and you can borrow one of the manual ones when there is a disaster? Ok with you?

By the way, how is your 72 hour kit?:rolleyes:

Guest Username-Removed

Frank,

You're a good man. You understand the reason behind having one. That’s more important that what you put in it.

If a man can have faith to prepare for a rainy day, he can also have faith for much higher and nobler leaps.

• 3 weeks later...

HELP!!! I'm ordering some supplies for my really long term storage and need to know...

How many POUNDS does a #10 can of Salt weigh?

You think they'd tell you, but they don't.

Also, if anyone knows how many pounds a #10 can of honey weighs, I'd appreciate that info, too. I could buy honey in a superbucket, but think it might be more convenient to have a #10 can (Just because honey is so gooey and messy, it's easier to just pop a can open each year than ladle out of a bucket and have to mop up any mess).

I just have an inexpensive cast metal grinder that is manually cranked; it looks similar to a meat grinder that my grandmother used to have. It clamps on to the edge of a table or countertop. I only grind up enough at one time to fill a regular flour cannister, as I have heard the nutrients degrade rather quickly once ground. It can be used for several different grains and nuts. Mine was a gift, but I think it cost about $30 at someplace like Harbor Freight.

I remember as a boy cranking out lots of wheat the old fashioned way on my dad's manual grinder. Got a good workout too! :lol:

A few years ago, my stake got very energized about food storage and gave everyone formulas to go by (I lost it sorry). It was pretty nice. Someone told me it was actually an official guideline from the church. I decided to do it and I was glad I did for when I went back to school (I still have the powdered eggs).

I am going to start again soon now that I've deserted all educational options until my boys (and possibly daughter if she decides to go) finish their missions. Here is my advice regarding mills: don't get one. In fact don't get wheat at all. When I was a kid in Lawton Oklahoma, the ward did a limited lock-in. Eight families stayed in the church for a week eating only what was in their year's supply. The only thing people brought was wheat. It was so disgusting. I was sick after the week was over.

Here are my recomendations:

1. Buy a year's supply of TP. Do you have any idea what that much wheat is giong to do for you.

2. Buy a year's supply of old National Geographics (the DI sells tons of it). You will be doing a lot of reading after eating all that wheat sitting on the pot.

3. Buy a year's supply of air freshener (no explanation needed).

Okay all silliness aside:

4. Buy a year's supply of your favorite candies.

5. Buy a year's supply of your favorite juices (I like WalMart's great value diet juice mixes).

6. Buy a year's supply of cookie making supplies.

7. Buy a year's supply of easy bake cake mixes.

8. Buy a year's supply of hot sauce (canned goods often start tasting gummy after a while).

9. Buy a year's supply of kosher salt and pepper corns with a grinder.

After pretty much living on my year's supply for two years (I still had to buy fresh meat and produce) I discovered that Mac and Cheese and Ramen were satan-inspired, anything the stores keep on the shelves to dusty stages can be kept on yours for the same amount of time (except canned poultry), and that the TP thing is no joke--buy lots and lots.

Here are my recomendations:

1. Buy a year's supply of TP. Do you have any idea what that much wheat is giong to do for you.

2. Buy a year's supply of old National Geographics (the DI sells tons of it). You will be doing a lot of reading after eating all that wheat sitting on the pot.

3. Buy a year's supply of air freshener (no explanation needed).

<<snip>> I discovered that Mac and Cheese and Ramen were satan-inspired, anything the stores keep on the shelves to dusty stages can be kept on yours for the same amount of time (except canned poultry), and that the TP thing is no joke--buy lots and lots.

You are so so funny! I laughed so lound I woke the cats and my Husband. Now I have to close the door and be extra special quiet. :roflmbo:

Thanks Iggy, I appreciate it.

I am looking for that flier I got from that 5th Sunday class. I was about five years ago, but I keep stuff like that. I'll post it later.

About the jokes, all I can say is avoid wheat based years supplies unless you love flatulence related humor (I am sure that would get as old as the National Geographics).

Thanks Iggy, I appreciate it.

I am looking for that flier I got from that 5th Sunday class. I was about five years ago, but I keep stuff like that. I'll post it later.

About the jokes, all I can say is avoid wheat based years supplies unless you love flatulence related humor (I am sure that would get as old as the National Geographics).

Slicky pages from cataloges and magazines (National Geographic) make really rough tp! Telephone book pages are way better.

Wheat doesn't bother me that way, it does my husband though, that is why I laughed so loud. Now, popcorn, that does me in. Each kernel creates its own little blast. Yep, Popfarts away. :devious::combust:

Is that flier about 1 years food storage on $5 a week?

Oh - Mac n Cheese, top ramen, rice a roni, any boxed dry goods. Bugs get into them. Get yourself a seal a meal with or without vacuum and seal those items up. Box and all.

My wife and I have reserached in detail almost all the grinders on the market and will give you our take, though of course it is arguably just our opinion.

I do not like the desgin of the formerly called Whisper-Mill now named something new as it was bought out, and I can't remember the name. HOWEVER, you can go on the WALTON FEED site and it has a very nice comarison of electric and hand grinder, e.g., how long does it take, sound, etc.

We absolutely love the new Nutri-Mill that came out a couple of years ago. You can load it up with 10 cups of wheat before turning it on as it has a pre-burst chamber. Others you have to feed in an on-going basis.

In my humble opinion, don't try to get a grinder which can be used for both electric and hand crank (bicycle crank adapted). Get one for the kitchen and another one for hand, Again, IN MY OPINION - do not get one of these small 2" X 2" or so hand grnders. They show you how simple it is to grind wheat BUT BE CAREFUL AS THE WHEAT THEY OFTEN GRIND IS MERELY CRACKED AND NOT GROUND INTO FLOUR. Of course you can put it back in and regrind it two or three times but that is a major pain. There is no EASY way to hand grind wheat, there simply easier ways then compared to others. I have a top of the line hand grinder with a 12" adapter wheel that multiples my grinder effort by 400% since it has a large radius. It did cost nearly $275 but it is very cool. On another point be sure you know what you are getting yourself into. I have heard other boast of a hand grinder and it would take 4 hours to grind 10 cups for baking. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. However, take my word and look up the specs on a Country Living hand grinder. It is pertty big but not huge, The grinding wheels can be adjusted to make flour, crack, or any other texture you want. (BTW - did you know you can grind pop-corn coursely into corn meal for corn bread, the corn meal is great. We have a recipe for Marie Calendars corn bread that is llike cake yummm.)

One more thing. Get a roller/cracker. you can take Oat groats and roll them through the roller/cracker and you have rolled oats or in the vernacular 'oat meal' that is terrific, delicious, and easier to store than oat meal.

Give those sites a try and I am sure you can come to your own conclusioin. It does not matter to me which you buy, just wanted to share.

Abraham