Calling all dog lovers

Misshalfway

I grew up being afraid of and hating dogs. On my mission, two dogs peed on me. I hated the smell, the breath, the jumping the yapping! I disliked it all. And then I was in the hospital and a therapy dog visited my room. I was changed forever! I had to have a dog. And soooooooo, not knowing anything about dogs or puppies or training or anything, I bought a cocker puppy from a local pet store. The dog ended up biting my kids and drawing blood, and we gave her away. I bought another cocker puppy. But after 6 months, she wouldn't potty train. My H couldn't take it. The carpet was starting to smell. I sold her. But she was the perfect dog otherwise and I still have dreams she will come home. Pathetic, huh?

Anyway, now that I have had a little experience and have read up on dogs and breading etc, etc, I am wondering if any of you out there have any advice for me. How do you suggest I pick the right dog for my family. I am a little afraid of puppyhood and training. It is a lot of work. How do I go about adopting from a shelter and if I do go there, how do I know what kind of dog I am bringing home? I heard that perhaps I could get a dog that had gone thru the training to be a working dog but failed the final test. But I have no idea how to find these dogs and the people who sell them.

I want a relaxed, laid back sort of dog. One that will curl up by you and sleep a lot. I want one that will be good with kids and kid caos. I want one that is trained or easily trained and will not bark or be aggressive with other dogs.

Just for the record, I watch the "Dog Whisperer" faithfully!:)

Guest MidWestGizmo

I know you have started to read and are using Cesar as a guide, but there are a few questions one must ask before choosing a dog. I'll let you in on the things I know off hand.

1) First, Are the dogs physical attributes more important to you than their nature?(Sounds to me for some reason you have chosen cocker spaniels as your preferred breed. From my experience they can be hard to tame as a family pet, especially with kids. You can love a curtain bread all you want and it may never be a match for your life style.)

2) Does anyone in the house have pet dander allergies? (Some dogs are worse/or better in this department for those that do have allergies.)

3) How active are you, how much room would this dog have, is there a yard for it to play in? ( All things to think about. If all you want is a lazy, content "pillow" that doesn't make noise and is hands off, then I'd direct you to locate a cat and call it a day. Dogs are meant to be companions, to work, play and journey with us. To assign them the task of keeping us warm and looking cute is like robbing a child of all their youthful exuberance.)

4) Size matters! The smaller they get the more competitive they tend to be. Small dogs see anything bigger than them as a challenge for affection, thus why many smaller breads don't do well with children. Of course proper trainning and activity can help keep this in check. ( All in all, research different breeds and find one that meets your demands as well as one you are willing to commit to it's needs.)

That's all I have for the moment as for questions to ask yourself. I will say that Golden Retrievers are known to be the best "family" dog on the block. If you don't want to commit to the care of a long coated dog then try the short hared version or a labrador. This retrieving dogs are great with kids that want to play, and they want tire out as fast as more hyper small dogs. On the flip side they also require more activity because of this nature.

On the matter of puppies versus adopting (juveniles or adults) there are pros and cons. Like you said, "You never know what kind of dog they may turn out to be when adopting." While buying a puppy from a breeder (not a pet store) insures a clean slate. Going this route means you have the opportunity to train this dog any way you see fit. Also the transfer from one environment to your home is much smoother. The dog has not come from a situation where it has become accustom to being the alpha dog/ contender for attention.

Tips on training: Dogs attention spans are quite short, thus training sessions should take no more than 15 mins at a time. Look up or read about operant conditioning, or clicker training. (good ol' Pavlov and his dogs) If you keep to those guidelines, stay calm and give it time, you can train a dog to do/stop anything. Dogs are just like little kids, but they never really grow up. Good thing is they will do anything if they see that it pleases you!

As for me, I have a Yorkshire Terrier named Gizmo. He's nice and compact and the best companion. He's hyper-allergenic and doesn't shed, but does take a little more grooming than others. He can be a yapper at times, but that is my fault for not training him to control that. He is good around other dogs as long as it is on neutral ground and other dogs don't ruffle his feathers to much. (same goes for children, being that they don't rough him up to much) I think that Yorkies are great breeds, very adventurous and balls of love and loyalty, but the fact is they may not be great for everyone. That's what's great about domestic dogs, there are so many to choose from. There is even an African hunting breed, Basenji, that doesn't bark (but it's not mute). Maybe you could look into that one?

One last important point, always get your dog fixed when they come of age. This is especially important with males, and will reduce if not halt poor behavior such as; marking, aggression, etc. Also it is important to controlling population, saving dogs from ending up homeless.

I hope this has all been helpful and didn't come across to stern. I just believe it is our responsibility to care for these wonderful creatures and not sell them short. I wish you the best in your quest to find the right dog for you and your family. I also commend you for overcoming your long time fear of them! :) I'd love to hear back from you on any important updates, as you continue to search. Remember, just because you don't have a dog doesn't mean you can't consult a Vet. about them. They are wonderful resources to use when looking for a dog. (I highly recommend speaking to one, as well as finding one you like/trust)

Good Luck and Enjoy!! :D

I think maybe a rescue dog may be better for you one with its personality well established not sure how it works in the US I use a shelter that uses questions and a foster care situation for the dogs so they can find the right home for them - I had a Jack Russell for 16 years (she was 20-22 when she died) she was the worlds best dog with kids but not good with other dogs maybe now I have watched the Dog Whisperer I could have helped her out. Jack Russells need a ton of exercise though but are by far my favourite dogs they are big dogs in a little package,

I now have a lurcher (GreyhoundxAlsation) - she is fine with the kids but not as good as the Jack Russell was she is happy to walk over a baby, she is much better with other dogs its lovely I can walk her off the lead and not think about it. She also doesn't need much exercise because of the Greyhound in her 10 minutes running round a field and she is ready to spend rest of the day on the sofa

-Charley

Thanks to all of you! I think I did get caught in loving one breed. Someone told me that cockers were the best family dogs. And so I read up on it. I read that they were loyal and protective of the family but loved to be a part of family activities. I didn't read anything about the stubborn will and the competing for dominance over the children. I only learned that when I hired a dog trainer who taught me all about the dominance behavior and the structure of the pack. Wonderful information. But I think that I learned that perhaps I was attaching to the wrong breed.

I love Golden retrievers. Their size intimidates me. But I see them at the dog and walking parks and they always look so obedient and loyal.

Thanks for the advice. Does anybody know where I can get a failed therapy/guide dog?

I have asked myself all of the questions above. The only thing I don't have is a fence. We just bought our new home and just finished the landscaping when the winter hit. So the fence will come later. But I have great walking paths nearby and dog parks closeby as well. Right now it is so cold, the thought of walking a dog makes me want to buy a treadmill. I want a dog that can be inside and outside. But mostly outside.

Hi Miss Half,

I'm 52 years old and my entire life I have despised dogs. They bark, they stink, they stick their nose in your crotch, they poop and pee in the house even though they're potty trained, they bark, they stink, they stick their nose in your crotch, etc. I HATE DOGS!

Then I visited my brother a year ago and he had a Miniature Pinscher. I could not believe how I connected with this dog. I HATE DOGS!

Well, comes last Christmas and he bought me a MinPin puppy. And I have turned into one of those sad, pathetic old ladies with a dog standing in for her real human grandbaby, of which she has NONE!

I can't tell you how much I love this puppy. I don't understand it. I can't express this enough. I HATE DOGS!

I am not suggesting a MinPin for you. They are expensive dogs, and extremely lively, and very willfull. In other words, the absolute worst dog for me.:P

But he is so funny as a "prunces" (half prancing, half running). And then there are the times when we're lying in bed and he suggles on my chest like where you burp a baby. I am smitten.

Just wanted to let you know that people can change about their feelings about dogs, because I HATE DOGS!!! But if you go into my profile, you'll see my sweet Xander, whom I love like a baby.

Eww. That is so gross.

Elphaba

Misshalfway, the only dog I've really had years of experience with was my Springer Spaniel, Spike..he was soo gentle, he loved to snuggle up all the time, he slept in the bedrooms protecting me and my husband, then the kids in their room.

He was medium sized, so obviously needed exercise to keep him trim (unfortunately ours developed arthritis and we had to put him on a diet!! He was greedy, lol).

During the day when I wasn't working, was looking after my baby daughter, I could leave the front door open with Becki in her high chair, and Spike would sit in the yard in front of her, and bark whenever anybody passed..nobody was gonna harm his Becki!! He loved it when Daniel was born too, he and Becki took turns playfighting with and riding on the back of Spike..

In all, Spike was a wonderful pet, he'd been born in a litter which my husband's family dog had given birth to, so we knew him from day 1 and continued to let him see and play with his mother when he came to stay with us. When his mom died and my in-laws bought a Cairn terrier, they used to play together for hours too..I never had a problem with Spike and other dogs, except for the time when some idiot allowed his pitbull type (not a pitbull, I don't think, just similar) attack him and nearly bite his ear off and his throat!! That was really upsetting, fortunately Spike survived the attack.

I'm the same way. I want a dog really bad! I had a greyhound who was a retired racing rescue. I trained him to be a therapy dog and he was great with elderly people at the rest homes we visited. Then I had a baby. When my son was one year old, my dog bit him and I was heartbroken that my perfectly laid back dog could have done such a thing. I called in a dog behaviorist/trainer to come to our house and work with him. But the next day he snapped at my child again, when he just leaned down to give the dog a hug and kiss. I immediately called the rescue that placed him with me and got them to find him another home... never have I cried so much as when I was driving him to his new home! Although he was placed in a wonderful home with no children, I was heartbroken. To this day, 4 years later, I still get teary eyed thinking about my dog, as I loved him so much. Oh he's a happy old dog now, living with a very wealthy family who still takes him on visits as a therapy dog. He gets weekly chiropractor and massage visits... something he never would have gotten with me. But I miss him so.

Now that my child is older, I often think of getting a dog. We have actually done trials with a couple of rescue dogs and they were just too hyper. One chewed the wall up in the bathroom, totally ruining it and causing hundreds of dollars worth of damage! Like you, I want one that is calm and loving, and of course good with kids. We also have a cat, so that's a consideration as well.

My husband really wants a chihuahua, as that is what he grew up with, but I'm partial to large dogs. Anyone have personal experience with those little ratty looking dogs?

Good luck to you in finding the perfect dog!

Elphaba, yours is absolutely adorable!

Yesterday we got a little 7 week Bichon puppy... his name is Teddy. He looks like a stuffed animal and is so much fun. My father's neighbor has a Bichon and whenever we go to visit, that dog has so much fun running and playing with my child. I did the research and found that this is the breed for us. Like poodles, they don't shed, so are good for people with allergies like my husband. I had to drive a total of 4 hours yesterday to find him.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

IMG%5DIMG%5D

Yay! puppies and dogs are great!! My husband and I had a tough time finding the right dog for our family too...part of the problem was that we just weren't ready for a puppy for a long long time. That all changed almost two years ago when we decided that maybe a chocolate lab was the dog for us. A couple of days later our kids came home from a fireside with the business card of a breeder living close to us so we called. They had one puppy left! I was thinking...uh oh! last dog! what's wrong with him?! As it turns out...nothing! He's the bestest doggie in the whole wide world and I love him to bits!! He plays with the kids, loves to sleep with whomever he can and will protect our house with his very life to whatever perceived threat comes in to his little doggie mind. I especially love it when he tries to protect me from the vacuum cleaner! If you go to my profile you can see a picture of him with my youngest daughter. Good luck in finding the right dog for you!!