almost a year, dont have priesthood

hey guys i joined the church almost a year ago, im 18 now, and im the only member in my whole family. ive recived alot of hostility towards it, and ALOT of things prevented me from attending church, and church people and missionaries deffinitley cant step foot anywhere near my house so u can see my dilema. im dying to get back to church, what im wondering is...can i still recieve the priesthood when i go back?

Guest Malcolm

hey guys i joined the church almost a year ago, im 18 now, and im the only member in my whole family. ive recived alot of hostility towards it, and ALOT of things prevented me from attending church, and church people and missionaries deffinitley cant step foot anywhere near my house so u can see my dilema. im dying to get back to church, what im wondering is...can i still recieve the priesthood when i go back?

You are 18 now. Are you moving away to school? Are you working? Can you get your own place? Have you considered a mission?

I think those are more pressing questions. The priesthood represents your willingness to serve beyond what you may have considered. It also implies a series of covenants and responsibilities that you will have to uphold. Start by discussing thsoe questions with your Bishop and see where it leads.

i have a job, and i dont think a mission is for me, i go to community college cant afford anything else, i see what your saying.

Well whatever happens to you, just dont ever give up for any reason! keep working at it, the path will be provided for you but you must keep working and sincerly trying your honest best, and please beleive me when i say to you that when its all done and said, you will be ever sssooooo happy you will then understand and be gratefull and thankfull for what the lord has offered you. its really wonderfull and beautifull beyond your wildest imaginations, the blessings are truely wonderfull for you and will be for your family as well. {it is true}:)

ask your Bishop and see what he tells you....thats the best way to handle that.

Missions are for everyone. If you have faith, God will prepare a way.

As for the Priesthood. Go back and talk with your Bishop.

Missions are NOT for everyone. I get really frustrated when I hear someone say this, people are constantly pressuring my fiance to go on a mission. Seeing as how he's got a child on the way, I fail to see how that is a path he needs to take.

Everyone is different, you can spread the gospel and serve God in many different ways. It doesn't just have to be a 2 year trip to a different state or country. However, it's something you should look into.

When it comes to the priesthood, it's really up to your Bishop. It may take awhile, but i'm sure it's something you can attain. I've seen return members get the priesthood in a matter of months, others it takes a year or two. It's all about the individual.

Even if the priesthood seems like it's going to be delayed for you for a while, don't get discouraged.

Missions are NOT for everyone. I get really frustrated when I hear someone say this, people are constantly pressuring my fiance to go on a mission. Seeing as how he's got a child on the way, I fail to see how that is a path he needs to take.

Everyone is different, you can spread the gospel and serve God in many different ways. It doesn't just have to be a 2 year trip to a different state or country. However, it's something you should look into.

When it comes to the priesthood, it's really up to your Bishop. It may take awhile, but i'm sure it's something you can attain. I've seen return members get the priesthood in a matter of months, others it takes a year or two. It's all about the individual.

Even if the priesthood seems like it's going to be delayed for you for a while, don't get discouraged.

The Lord has commanded every young man to be worthy and serve a mission. Not everyone follows this command. but it still is a command. And I am not going to pretend as though it's not for everyone when the Lord wouldnt provide the command if it wasn't.

The Lord has commanded every young man to be worthy and serve a mission. Not everyone follows this command. but it still is a command. And I am not going to pretend as though it's not for everyone when the Lord wouldnt provide the command if it wasn't.

Jeeze, there was no need to get so snippy. I guess what i'm saying is, what is a mission exactly? Does a mission HAVE to be a two year trip to Russia or whatever? In my mind, mission work is many different things.

I don't know why the Lord would command the sole breadwinner in my home to abandon me for two years when he can just as easily spread the gospel here. Which he does.

Yes, he SHOULD have gone on a mission prior to meeting me, but he didn't and now he has a partner and a child to provide for. What would you propose we do, seeing as how you obviously have a better grasp on our situation than we do? Should he jet off and leave us hanging without a provider?

I don't believe in a lord that cruel, i'm sorry that you do.

Guest Malcolm

Jeeze, there was no need to get so snippy. I guess what i'm saying is, what is a mission exactly? Does a mission HAVE to be a two year trip to Russia or whatever? In my mind, mission work is many different things.

I don't know why the Lord would command the sole breadwinner in my home to abandon me for two years when he can just as easily spread the gospel here. Which he does.

Yes, he SHOULD have gone on a mission prior to meeting me, but he didn't and now he has a partner and a child to provide for. What would you propose we do, seeing as how you obviously have a better grasp on our situation than we do? Should he jet off and leave us hanging without a provider?

If he is already married and has children there is no way that any Bishop would encourage him to go on a mission. His time for that has come and gone. He may have to wait until he is a senior and perhaps serve then.

RachelleDrew:I don't know why the Lord would command the sole breadwinner in my home to abandon me for two years when he can just as easily spread the gospel here. Which he does.

You are saying that you are living with this guy, are pregnent by him and he is thinking of going on a Mission.

Don't get all in a tizzy that he is going to leave you and go on a Mission. Will never happen. For one he is not worthy. No way is he worthy. How do I know that? Well, in your words: Seeing as how he's got a child on the way and sole breadwinner in my home to abandon me for two years and now he has a partner and a child to provide for.

You are not married and he is living with you- he got you pregnent. At least he is responsible and providing you with a home, food and essentials.

What does your Bishop say to this arrangement? Oh, and are we talking about the same church? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Back to the OP's issue.

Why isn't a mission for you? only you can answer that. But do not let money be the reason. There are ways that can be arranged without parents etc.

Does the college you go to have an institute class? Great way to get back into learning the gospel, and find a possible room mate to rent a place with. Then a lot of the turmoil would rest, and you could have visitis etc.

But you need to talk to your bishop, and at 18, the Elders Quorum president can also help. the three of you can make a plan,guided by the inspiration of the bishop. And soon you will be back in full throttle!

Do not get discouraged.

You are saying that you are living with this guy, are pregnent by him and he is thinking of going on a Mission.

Don't get all in a tizzy that he is going to leave you and go on a Mission. Will never happen. For one he is not worthy. No way is he worthy. How do I know that? Well, in your words: Seeing as how he's got a child on the way and sole breadwinner in my home to abandon me for two years and now he has a partner and a child to provide for.

You are not married and he is living with you- he got you pregnent. At least he is responsible and providing you with a home, food and essentials.

What does your Bishop say to this arrangement? Oh, and are we talking about the same church? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Well that got sideways:rolleyes: Since its a topic of its own... see "He made the choice to not go and that is up to him". The Lord DID command all young men to go on a two year mission in the service of God and the advancement of Zion. However, its up to him as to whether he will actually do it. By the post, its sounds like that choice has already been made and therefore the question is a mute point for him.

As for the original poster of this thread... Brother... I HIGHLY suggest that you go on a mission. I took the route that RachelDrews' guy did. I chose to not go and stay for a woman that I loved. I will tell you from experience and testimony... I SHOULD have gone instead. My marriage collapsed after 16 years and I blame that on the fact that I was not prepared for what I put myself into in life. A mission is no guarantee of a successful relationship that will last for eternities but you need in your life the lessons and strengths that the mission offers. Its a sacrifice to be sure but there is only one thing in life that I would go back and change if I could and that would be to go on a mission. I can't stress this enough. I really can't. You have so much ahead of you in life and this is the opportunity, right now, to gain the gifts that god wants to offer to you for your service to Him. Its your choice... but I would highly suggest that you pray about it. I'd throw it all away to do it over again.

Grant

Johnny:

Most likely you have not been given the priesthood because of regular attendance. I realize that it was because of your family situation, but now that you are 18, become active and follow your Bishop's council and you will receive it.

Rachelle:

Since your boyfriend has fathered a child, or at least one is on the way, he is excluded from serving a full time mission. His duty now, is to his child and you.

The Lord commanded many men to leave their families to preach the Gospel at the beginning of this dispensation.

The same Lord commanded Abraham to Sacrifice His Son Isaac to show His Faith.

The Same Lord gave His own Son for a sacrifice for our sins.

If commanding all worthy young men to go on a mission is cruel, then I thank God for being cruel.

However, I don't believe your story. Simply because if what your saying is true, it would be obvious to just about everyone and no one would be pressuring or even encouraging him to go on a mission because he couldnt even if he tried.

Hey Jonny...

Assuming there are not other extenuating factors and I can't speak to your specific case as I have no jurisdiction/inspiration there, but wanted you to know that there is no one year waiting period for receiving the Melchizedek PH any more. I promise you that if you are worthy, keeping your covenants, repentant, and obedient, you can receive the PH within weeks of being baptized. I have this from an Apostle. HOWEVER, be patient with those humans who are working wtih you. None of us is perfect. Also, if you inquire on this issue be loving and not judgmental. Someday, you may be in the Bishop's shoes and will understand more fully what he going through. Sometimes we are given tests, even inside the kngdom that prove and temper our mettle, as I am sure you have expereinced. Sometimes we can't see the wisdom in the work (See D&C 121 & 122) but the Lord loves you and will provide you will all you need. BTW - you have the key to the ministering of angles (I assume you have the AP). what else could you ask for? That should keep you busy for now. :-)

Your loving brother in the Gospel,

Abraham

Just to clarify the Church does not allow people with dependant children to serve a Mission-unless they're

serving as Mission President I believe.

I know of one missionary almost at the end of his mission who had a prompting that he had a child (he was a convert).

Made some enquires & turns out he did indeed have a child.He was sent home straight away.That's how

seriously the Church takes of a Father's responsibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

All worthy and able young men are commanded to go.

Who decides who is worthy?

Who decides who is able?

-----

I hope the best works out for you, Johnny. This could be a patience thing. But if you sincerely desire the priesthood, it'll be worth the wait, and you'll get it, and once you do it'll be all the more dear to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back. When you come to attend church plan on attending the priesthood (priest) quorum meeting. The Bishop is the president of the priest quorum - after priesthood tell the Bishop you are interested in preparing to be ordained to the priesthood.

The Traveler

Sister Drew: Your picture is lovely and your manner plesent. Thank you for shairing your thoughts. The greatest calling in this life is marriage. Marriage is a greater "mission" than a two year mission. If you have not done so yet - plan to serve an eternal mission with your loving husband and covenant before G-d in his temple.

The Traveler

• 2 weeks later...

Jonny, Don't give up. I don't remember who said it, but someone said, "Life is a series of problems. Either you are in one now, you're just coming out of one or you're getting ready to go into another one." That's why we consider our mortal life a test and we are measured by how we respond to our challenges. Obtaining the priesthood is a worthy goal and is worth the effort. Like many others have said, you need to see your bishop. He is the one who is called to help you with this and will be inspired to know how you need to proceed. Having the priesthood is a great privilege and gift given to us by the Lord, usually given when you are worthy and after some period of activity. Again, that is up to your bishop so set up a time and talk to him. :)

• 1 month later...

Please, show me where this is written? It is people like you that make this church difficult to participate in. A mission is NOT for everyone, I didnt go. I got married and started a family instead. How many young men who didnt go on missions remain active in the church because of this attitdude? Your elitist attitude is driving more people away from the church than you "saved" on your mission.

BTW. Thomas S Monson didnt go on a mission