almost a year, dont have priesthood

hey guys i joined the church almost a year ago, im 18 now, and im the only member in my whole family. ive received alot of hostility towards it, and ALOT of things prevented me from attending church, and church people and missionaries definitively cant step foot anywhere near my house so u can see my dilemma. im dying to get back to church, what im wondering is...can i still receive the priesthood when i go back?

You will need to make that choice Jonny, on whether it is beneficial for you to attend every Sunday or listen to those within the family. If you go this Sunday, make a quick appointment with the local Bishop to determine if he fills you are ready for the priesthood.

Good luck...I do feel your pain.

Please, show me where this is written? It is people like you that make this church difficult to participate in. A mission is NOT for everyone, I didn't go. I got married and started a family instead. How many young men who didnt go on missions remain active in the church because of this attitdude? Your elitist attitude is driving more people away from the church than you "saved" on your mission.

BTW. Thomas S Monson didnt go on a mission

There are times when Heavenly Father has other arrangements or plans for that young man. In our family, they are given two opportunities: go on a mission for two years or serve four years in the military. Not hard to see which one wins in the end.

Beside President Monson there are a few exceptions [GAs] that did not serve a full-time mission. However, they did serve as Mission Presidents prior to their current callings. One requirement but not concrete, in order in becoming a GA today, one needs to serve as a Mission President.

President Monson served in the military during that time frame [WWII].

There are times when Heavenly Father has other arrangements or plans for that young man. In our family, they are given two opportunities: go on a mission for two years or serve four years in the military. Not hard to see which one wins in the end.

Beside President Monson there are a few exceptions [GAs] that did not serve a full-time mission. However, they did serve as Mission Presidents prior to their current callings. One requirement but not concrete, in order in becoming a GA today, one needs to serve as a Mission President.

President Monson served in the military during that time frame [WWII].

So there is no free agency in your household? I would still like to see in scripture, where it states that you MUST serve a 2 year mission. Any takers? I would love to know.

There is no actual scripture as you stated, which commands the youth to go on mission. However, do we always need written scriptures in being commanded or to be led? Or should we listen to the promptings of the Spirit when called upon?

Slim, you are right to call this one. Church leaders 'encourage' the youth to go on missions. The benefit I did see to two of my children is character growth. There are many benefits for that individual by serving on a mission.

Oh! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Hemidakota, Im trying to point out a little dilema there is here in "ZION", there are thousands of people like me, for various reasons didnt go on missions. They need to be accepted and welcomed. In my elders quorum here in utah, there are more non-missionaries that attend than returned missionaires, but everytime a lesson is taught "on my mission" is the only thing ever said. There is alot more to the church than missions, and those that didnt go begin to wonder if there is any point in continuing going to church. The most popular way to meet new people in the church = Where did you go on a mission? Lets be a little more open minded here people, and quit asking any new person you meet in your ward "so, where did you go on a mission", because they might not have.

Concur with the open minded when imposing serving a mission question...I find myself at fault on this one.

When I was converted to the church, I made an effort to fast and pray and ask Heavenly Father whether I should serve a mission, in the Celestial room of the Hawaiian Temple. The answer I did receive and confirm by the Holy Ghost was 'NO'.

There are times when we are called elsewhere to do HIS bidding.

I am amazed at the strength you have and others like you. I have never faced hostility from my family for my beliefs as they subscribe to the same. I have only received the hostility from others on the outside, who are also ignorant or critical of our beliefs.

You will receive the priesthood when the time is right. Continue to make that your goal. This will bless your life and the lives of others who will be the recipient of your priest hood power.

Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to us.

Jonathan

Thanks Hemidakota, Im trying to point out a little dilema there is here in "ZION", there are thousands of people like me, for various reasons didnt go on missions. They need to be accepted and welcomed. In my elders quorum here in utah, there are more non-missionaries that attend than returned missionaires, but everytime a lesson is taught "on my mission" is the only thing ever said. There is alot more to the church than missions, and those that didnt go begin to wonder if there is any point in continuing going to church. The most popular way to meet new people in the church = Where did you go on a mission? Lets be a little more open minded here people, and quit asking any new person you meet in your ward "so, where did you go on a mission", because they might not have.

I am a convert and so naturally I haven't went on a mission. That said, I thank Heavenly Father every day for sending young men and women out to preach the Gospel. I have immense respect for them. If there were not those who heeded the call, even in difficult situations, my family would not have had a chance to hear the truth.

Friends, I do not desire to be critical or confrontational. I feel for those that have ben dealing with this issue of not serving a mission. I must, however, as a convert share with you also my feelings and perhaps some perspective in the matter.

Young men born and raised in the Gospel, they had all opportunity to learn, grow in the knowledge of the word of God and with an anchor (family) to ground them against the overwhelming pressures of the world. The Lord no doubt blessed them beyond measure and He in returns asks that the young men heed to the call to share this great blessing with the rest of God's children. I understand that WE create circumstances in our lives that prevent us from answering that call. Or, WE make a decision that whatever it is we are engaged is is more important or relevant than answering the call to serve. And because agency is also available WE opt for that and remain home.

Well, from the other side and with no desire to hurt or deride, I must say that not going on a mission speaks volumes about this young man. We must avoid rationalizations and self justifications here. Just the same way you feel hostility and displeasure when people talk about their mission or tend to shun you (that is just wrong however) to the point where you even question if it is worth going to church, they in the other hand treasure the experience of being away and in the service of God. If they are young and they live in Utah (I hear there is not much missionary action in Utah) their mission is the only point of comparison, and real life experience as it relates to the lessons!!! The most important aspect of living the Gospel is sharing it!!! If they did that for 2 years, night and day and met thousands of people and change the lives of countless, friends that is and experience without equal. I am truly sorry that it causes pain and discomfort when other ask in regards to your mission and you can not respond in the affirmative. Again, with great love but attesting to the truth, pain and regret are sometimes the price tag for cashing out our agency.

It was the faith and testimony of a couple of young men that brought the Gospel to my door. One of them weighted down by diabetes but with a faith that not only helped him overcome his condition, but to receive a blessing of health that allowed him to remain symptom free and help convert dozens onto the Gospel of Christ. For that I am eternally in his debt.

I hope that the above shed seem light from the other side. I also hope that your resolve to serve Him now will help you find comfort and peace about your past choices.

Edited by Islander

I'm still confused... people who know RachelleDrews fiancee (sp?) are pressuring him to go on a mission?? Even though he's got her knocked up and they're living together? Like another poster said, "Something smells fishy."

BTW, I served a mission and look at the awful heretic I've become. :)

But I would recommend going, it's a great experience.

• 1 month later...

I guess what i'm saying is, what is a mission exactly? Does a mission HAVE to be a two year trip to Russia or whatever? In my mind, mission work is many different things.

Yes, missionary work is many different things. However, when we talk about the Priesthood responsibility to "serve a mission", that does indeed mean a two-year trip to Russia or whatever. That's what the missionary obligation is for men of our generation.

Not all men are physically or emotionally able to serve such a mission; such are honorably excused from the requirement. Other men (such as your fiancè) put themselves in a position where serving a mission is impossible. They have not forfeited all their eternal blessings or anything like that, but they have made it impossible to fulfill that particular duty they have. But these things do not change the duty that all Priesthood holders have to the Lord to serve a mission (meaning a two-year trip to Russia or whatever).

I don't know why the Lord would command the sole breadwinner in my home to abandon me for two years when he can just as easily spread the gospel here.

The Lord does not command any such thing today (although in the not-too-distant past he did exactly that, calling married men with children to leave their family for two, three, or five years or more to serve proselytizing missions). A young man with a child or a pregnant girlfriend will never, ever be called on a mission while he is a young man. He has other, more important duties that preclude him from being able to fulfill the missionary duty.

But that doesn't mean the missionary duty doesn't exist. It does.

Yes, he SHOULD have gone on a mission prior to meeting me, but he didn't and now he has a partner and a child to provide for. What would you propose we do, seeing as how you obviously have a better grasp on our situation than we do? Should he jet off and leave us hanging without a provider?

That would never be allowed. I taught at the MTC, and one day a missionary simply wasn't there in the district any more. Turns out that he found out his girlfriend was pregnant.

I have been told that if a young man impregnates a woman, he will not be called to serve a mission under any circumstances, even if the woman miscarries or (God forbid) aborts the baby. I have also been told that if a young man engages in homosexual relations, he will also not be called to serve a mission under any circumstances. I do not know that this is true, but I have been told it is. Take it for what it's worth (which is to say, absolutely nothing).

I was told by a former stake president that even a young man who has fornicated in the past with a woman is not likely to be called on a mission, although it's possible, especially if he was not a member when he fornicated. The instruction to "raise the bar" has been taken very seriously, as far as I can tell.

• 6 months later...

Answering the original thread

Dont let others bring you down.THe spirit is with you still it seems. Pray about what you should do but if those that seek to bring you down dont understand the church,start standing up.Just as all the old prophets did and apostles did. Still respect your parents though. No one says that joining the church makes life easy.LIFe is LIFE no matter what religion your in. My mother joning and her dad disowned her but she kept living it and stood by it and then she got the respect. having the true gospel makes it easier and peaceful but remember that to get close to God means Satan will try to grab you away from god. You have a decision to make but just remember to keep reading and praying that you will receive the strength to endure and receive the priesthood.

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious to know that if an individual for what ever reason is unable to serve a mission in the traditional way, if being a missionary later on in life with satisfy that commandment. I forget what they are called because it has been some time since I have been back to church (finally returning this sunday :D). Are they stake or ward missionaries? I forget. But I know they exist and it seems they are normally older couples.

When I first truly considered going on a mission, which I never did by the way, I didn't think it possible because of my financial obligations. At 19 I had gottem myself into a terrible financial mess. However, my bishop at the time told me that if I truly wished to serve a mission, a way would be provided and that I should not base my decision on finances. I truly did want to serve a mission. Still do. There's a long story as to why I never had the chance to serve a mission back then, but I do look forward to that day that my wife and I can do so together.

I am curious to know that if an individual for what ever reason is unable to serve a mission in the traditional way, if being a missionary later on in life with satisfy that commandment. I forget what they are called because it has been some time since I have been back to church (finally returning this sunday :D). Are they stake or ward missionaries? I forget. But I know they exist and it seems they are normally older couples.

When I first truly considered going on a mission, which I never did by the way, I didn't think it possible because of my financial obligations. At 19 I had gottem myself into a terrible financial mess. However, my bishop at the time told me that if I truly wished to serve a mission, a way would be provided and that I should not base my decision on finances. I truly did want to serve a mission. Still do. There's a long story as to why I never had the chance to serve a mission back then, but I do look forward to that day that my wife and I can do so together.

Welcome back into the fold! May we worship together with you for the rest of our lives.

You ask if being a missionary later in life will satisfy "that commandment" of serving a mission. I would suggest that perhaps you should look at the situation differently.

None of us earns his exaltation. All fall short of God's glory, and all are dependent upon the grace and mercy of Christ to be saved. If heaven consisted solely of those who kept their second estate perfectly, without error or sin, then it would hold only the Father and the Son. Such is not the case, however. Even though we have made errors, foolish choices, and rebellious decisions, we can still repent, become sons and daughters of Christ, and be received by him into exaltation.

For whatever reason, you did not serve a mission as a young man. That time in your life is now past, and that duty unfulfilled. You can't go back and refill that hole -- but you can move forward and do what's required of you now. It will not consist of going door to door asking to teach the gospel; it's more likely to consist of keeping your wife safe and happy, raising your children, earning a living for your family, doing your home teaching, and teaching in the Primary (or whatever calling you're given).

My suggestion is that you do what you're given now, rejoice in the opportunity to be a living part of God's kingdom, and accept the responsibilities and blessings God has for you NOW, as opposed to worrying about what you didn't do THEN. Who knows? Maybe one day in the not-so-distant future, you will serve a mission and preach the gospel. That would be wonderful. But whether you do or not, seek to build the kingdom in the situation you're in now. Don't waste time regretting opportunities lost. I strongly believe that God will not condemn us if we give honest effort, even if that effort isn't what we had hoped.

PS The stake missionaries were renamed "ward missionaries" several years back, while I was one. I think that they were actually originally called ward missionaries lo these many years ago. Anyway, if you're interested in being a ward missionary, you could always let the bishop know of your desire. He may or may not call you to that position, but at least he'd be aware of your interest.

Edited by Vort

Thanks for the advice Vort. It's so easy to get caught up in the past and even spend more time dreaming about the future, while losing site of what's important now. I've always been a dreamer. Right now it's important for me to fulfill my comittment to attendance church on sunday with my two sons (5 and 6 months). What an experience this will be! I think it's fast sunday this weekend. What a time to come back to church.:)

Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

Johnny:

Most likely you have not been given the priesthood because of regular attendance. I realize that it was because of your family situation, but now that you are 18, become active and follow your Bishop's council and you will receive it.

Rachelle:

Since your boyfriend has fathered a child, or at least one is on the way, he is excluded from serving a full time mission. His duty now, is to his child and you.

Who is it exactly, that "gives" the priesthood????

• 2 months later...
Hidden

I could be wrong here, but if he has a kid on the way and you guy's aren't married then I guess a mission isn't for him, after all you do need to be worthy to serve a mission, right? He's lucky to still be a member of the church, some Bishops would have kicked him.

• 2 weeks later...

I am kind of in a similar position. I was baptized then I was 21. When researching the Church I was shocked to see how much my family was against it. We were not raised with any religion so I figured they would not be against any, but they were.

Anyways, I got baptized when I was 21 when I went into the army as I could not do it at home. Anyways, I actually moved around A LOT while I was in the army so I attended Church when I could but that was about it. Now that I'm back in my home city I am wanting to get into the priesthood and talked to my Bishop about it and he said it would come in time, just keep attending Church and I am keeping the commandments, now I am not perfect, no one is, but i think I rarely slip up.

Of course my main issue now is attending Church, my work has me work almost every Sunday, it's been 3 weeks since I got to to, Luckily I get to go this sunday as they made the schedule and released it and forgot to put me down on it for Sunday, so they asked me if I would and of course turned it now.

So I hope it will come soon for me, the main issue is work though, and getting that time off, they know how extremely important it is to me but that does not seem to make much of a difference. Also deciding which ward to go to! I sometimes go to the regular ward up the street, other times the singles ward, I am wondering if I should stick to one or not and if that might help?

Guest mormonmusic

Who is it exactly, that "gives" the priesthood????

The priesthood is given by the laying on of hands by an Elder or High Priest in the Church, often suggested by the person receiving the Priesthood. Usually it's someone he or she respects or has some other kind of relationship. Often, it's the father of the person receiving the priesthood, if that father is an Elder or High Priest.

Before ordination, the candidate priesthood holder (called a "prospective elder") goes through an interview with a Priesthood leader (I think it's the Stake President ultimately) where they talk about how well they are living the gospel and answer a few questions. If the Stake President's inspiration leads him to believe the person understands what it means to hold the Priesthood, and the prospective Elder indicates they are living the fundamental commandments, then it's put to a sustaining vote to the membership at one of our regular priesthood meetings.

If there are no unresolved objections at the sustaining vote, then the ordination to the priesthood happens by the laying on of hands.

After ordination, the person who receives the priesthood also gets a line of authority that shows the priesthood passed on from priesthood-holder to priesthood-holder, starting with Jesus Christ and ending with the person who just received it.

Edited by mormonmusic