Question

katej

Hi, so I have a few questions regarding the Church of LDS. I have been raised in a Church of Christ and haven't had much exposure at all to what Mormon's believe. One of my good friends is Mormon and I wanted to know some things to try and understand better what he believes. I know there are a lot of similarities and a lot of differences between the religions. You have the Book of Mormon, but believe in the Bible as well correct? I think my main question that he couldn't answer was that many times in the Bible it says that you should not add to or subtract from what is written in the Bible, yet that would be contradicted by following the Book of Mormon wouldn't it? I don't want to come across condeming, just honestly want to try and understand. Also, what are some of the other main differences between the religions? Thanks so much.

Katie

We believe the Bible as well, correct.

We do not believe that we are "adding to" the Bible, at all. God's word is God's word is God's word. He can bring about as many books of scripture as He desires. The Book of Mormon was not the first and it won't be the last.

From the LDS perspective, what sets us apart from the rest of Christianity is our belief in a Heavenly Father of flesh and bone, as Christ is also.

What also sets us apart is priesthood power. The authority of our leaders to act in God's name here on earth and to speak for Him as His mouthpiece.

Tom

Yes there is at least in two books of the bible the words of adding... they mean just those books or else most of the Bible is wrong as teh first time that thing is said in the old Testament..cant recall where. We have not added anythign to those books.

Christ and Father have a reurected body of flesh and bone... so probably not quite as ours then...

And ofcourse we believe that Josep Smith translataed the book of Mormon that is a history of a people of Nephi and Laaman...

Preast hood is a power not an occupation.

We dont have pay preasts.

How do you find the men who are your priests?

We don't "find" them, per se. The members of the priesthood in our church come from the rank and file (general membership) of the church.

Young men can be ordained to the Aaronic priesthood at age 12.

After that, normally the progression is as follows:

14 yrs old - Teacher

16 yrs old - Priest

18 yrs old - Elder

40 yrs old - High Priest

New converts also begin this way (I don't think they start right at Elder).

We don't "find" them, per se. The members of the priesthood in our church come from the rank and file (general membership) of the church.

Young men can be ordained to the Aaronic priesthood at age 12.

After that, normally the progression is as follows:

14 yrs old - Teacher

16 yrs old - Priest

18 yrs old - Elder

40 yrs old - High Priest

New converts also begin this way (I don't think they start right at Elder).

As I remember new coverts receive Aaronic priesthood - office Priest .

Another thing is that we believe on modern prophets . They receive direct revelation from God for us.

hi this is tina for all your questions and more go to the" truthisrestored.com" rusty curtis has all the questions and answers all ready lined out for those seeking gods truth. i am an convert to the church, i am 38 yrs old. i promise you ,,, you will be so blessed when you find the truth of where you came from ,where you are going and what you will be doing for eternity. as for the book of mormon...the bible is a library of seperate books written by men thru heavenly father(god)( the book of deuteronomy 4:2 says not to add or take away from his word that has been written so does revelations 22:18-19.) 2nd corithians11:4 says not to listen to some one preaching of a different gosple or jesus . the book of mormon speaks of the same jesus and the same plan of salvation it is in total compliance with the bible it is just another book that goes with the bible. god did not quit talking to his children after the old testiment ( in which deuteronomy was written) nor did he quit giving revelation after christ ressurected, he still talks to us today just as he talked to joseph smith in the 1800's . please go to the truthisrestored.com and then you will understand better. i hope i didnt confuse you,, tina

Hidden

Katie,

To compare the basic LDS beliefs to the Bible you might want to check out What Mormons Dont Tell

You'll find matter-of-fact brochures on a number of topics of interest to LDS and non-LDS Christians. There is a brochure explaining 3 attributes of God that LDS and non-LDS Christians use to share until they were changed by Joseph Smith. You can find it at Why non-LDS Christians can't accept Mormonism as Christian

I am not LDS but have been married to a wonderful LDS girl for 26 years. You may call me for additional information at 727-667-4112.

katej,

Welcome, I'm not LDS, I grew up in an Australian Church of Christ, which fits somewhere between Independent Christian Chruch and Disciples. (Imagine RM history but evanglelical outlook).

The historical links between our movement and the LDS are quite strong. A large number of influential early Mormon's Sidney Rigdon, Orson and Parley Pratt, Eliza Snow came from our movement. Alexander Campbell actually wrote the first reveiw of the Book of Mormon. One of the early derogatory phrases used for Mormon's were "ultra-campbellites". The first name Joseph Smith actually choose for his church was actually "church of christ".

You'll hear a number of phrases and ideas that sound similiar to RM ones but have different emphasises and outcomes. Apostasy, restoration, denying creeds, priesthood of believers, age of accountability, weekly communion as the central part of service, non-infant baptism by immersion for remission of sins. Of course you'll find there is just as much stuff that is different as is familiar.

Anyway I hope you find the info your looking for.

Hi, so I have a few questions regarding the Church of LDS. I have been raised in a Church of Christ and haven't had much exposure at all to what Mormon's believe. One of my good friends is Mormon and I wanted to know some things to try and understand better what he believes. I know there are a lot of similarities and a lot of differences between the religions. You have the Book of Mormon, but believe in the Bible as well correct? I think my main question that he couldn't answer was that many times in the Bible it says that you should not add to or subtract from what is written in the Bible, yet that would be contradicted by following the Book of Mormon wouldn't it? I don't want to come across condeming, just honestly want to try and understand. Also, what are some of the other main differences between the religions? Thanks so much.

Katie

If you have questions about the LDS Church, I strongly suggest that you discuss them with someone who IS LDS and not follow the advice of those that may persuade you to do otherwise. Discussing the matter with those who are not LDS will give you a distorted view of what Mormons really believe.

Just my .02...

I see it as not closing the Bible to new books. But rather it has to do with scribes not tampering with the book by adding to it, or taking away from the words. The Lord did not trust the scribes that preserved the Book of Revelation.

The author of Speaking the Truth In Love To Mormons Mark Cares feels the verse is a bad case for the closed to new books Bible. In his book he feels better that better scriptural proofs exist. He feels it had to do with the book only and is much like Deut. 4:2. I met him before and he is a nice Lutheran man. He has an outreach to Mormons. He pastors a local Lutheran church where i live. He was always decent to me when i met him.

I am not LDS, but Community of Christ which is related to the LDS Church. About 1844 we split and went off in different historical and doctrinal directions. While not the same denomination as LDS we both share a belief the Book of Mormon is scripture.

I am not LDS, but Community of Christ which is related to the LDS Church. About 1844 we split and went off in different historical and doctrinal directions. While not the same denomination as LDS we both share a belief the Book of Mormon is scripture.

Dale, you're right. And thanks to the joint efforts of the Community of Christ Church, the LDS Church was able to complete the critical text project of the Book of Mormon which is an invaluable resource. They could not have done it without the help of your faith...

Guest Malcolm

How do you find the men who are your priests?

Kate:

As stated previously, worthy male members of the church hold the priesthood. In the LDS church is not a rank or office of ecclesiastic authority. It is the authority to act and officiate for the congregation in the name of God. It may take a little bit of reading for you to understand but I know you will.

Are you asking for the priests because you want to have a conversation in your home? Would you like for somebody to visit you and perhaps try to answer some of your questions? Follow some of the links offered to you previously or post your questions online. There are lots of very enlightened souls in this forum that can help you.

Welcome and I hope you will find what you are looking for.