What do Mormons think of Catholics?

pammy

Here in Denver we have an Inter-Faith Choir made up of Catholics, LDS, and others. Also, Catholic Chairites came to us (the LDS Church) and told us they had 15 semis refers full of salmon. We donated our cannery, and the I believe the cans, and LDS and Catholic volunteered side by side to can all the salmon and it ALL went to the Catholic food banks. Now wouldn't Father be proud? Now it is a regular event, whether the Catholics have food, or we work together just canning dry or wet food stuffs we work together like true Chritians should.

At one time we had other church congregations coming into our cannery to do humanitarian aid canning for the churches aid programs worldwide. That was pretty cool to have other denominations working with us to feed the hungry.

THE
DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
SECTION 18

Verse 20-23

20 Contend against no church, save it be the church of the devil.

21 Take upon you the name of Christ, and speak the truth in soberness.

22 And as many as repent and are baptized in my name, which is Jesus Christ, and endure to the end, the same shall be saved.

23 Behold, Jesus Christ is the name which is given of the Father, and there is none other name given whereby man can be saved;

“Contend against no church, save it be the church of the devil”

I have been taught that the church of the devil, is satin himself. He does not want us to follow Christ. He will at every attempt try to guide us to him and away from Christ.

I came from a large family of catholic faith. My Grandparents and aunts and uncles are all of the catholic faith. My Grandparents had 8 natural and 6 adopted kids, which are all of that faith. Now I was baptized catholic and took 7 years of my childhood attending CCD. My parents did not like anyone of the LDS faith and I was taught that they were a cult of the devil. They believed that they were all going to hell. So I think all churches has those someone who thinks they know were everyone else is going.

I love my grandparents will all of my heart! And I know they are going to be with Christ when they retire. I know with every fiber in my body that Christ will accept them, he loves all, that his why he atoned for everyone’s sins.

"If thou wilt do good, yea, and hold out faithful to the end, thou shalt be saved in the kingdom of God, which is the greatest of all the gifts of God; for there is no gift greater than the gift of salvation" DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS SECTION 6 V-13

I just posted this thread on a catholic website. I just wanted to show the catholic apologists that mormons are very respectful toward the catholic church. On the catholic website forums section I defend the lds church. At times the catholic posts are very hostile toward the lds church. But I also know that such catholics are small in number.

The mormons who posted on this thread showed a christian spirit and understanding about members of the catholic church and also about the catholic church in general. I take my hat off to the mormons on this board. :detective:<<<opps it won't come off....

The website is catholic.com, non-catholic religion section of the forum.

I just posted this thread on a catholic website. I just wanted to show the catholic apologists that mormons are very respectful toward the catholic church. On the catholic website forums section I defend the lds church. At times the catholic posts are very hostile toward the lds church. But I also know that such catholics are small in number.

The mormons who posted on this thread showed a christian spirit and understanding about members of the catholic church and also about the catholic church in general. I take my hat off to the mormons on this board. :detective:<<<opps it won't come off....

The website is catholic.com, non-catholic religion section of the forum.

Good job! I guess it just goes to show that you never know who is watching or reading these posts... I'm glad I wasn't making a fool of myself :P I agree that it's probably just a small number of Catholics or LDS members that have that kind of hostility/misunderstanding... it's unfortunate because it gives everyone else a bad name.

Hello. Since I've recently moved to Utah and have had the opportunity to meet many many LDS people, I've gotten a variety of reactions from people who learn that I am a Catholic. I've heard everything from "That's wonderful. We share a belief in Jesus Christ." to "The Roman Catholic Church is the great abominable church which is presided over by satan and all its members are doomed to hell." I was told at the time that the latter was official LDS doctrine and that it had been revealed to a prophet at some point. So I am curious, are there any official LDS teachings about Catholicism? Does the church have a position on where Catholics go when they die? Is it to hell (as I was told by this person) or to the second best kind of heaven (as I understand from what I read)? Is it the church's position that the Catholic Church is "worse" than other denominations of Christianity? Just wondering.

On this one, I can only speak for myself. And I like Catholics and Catholicism. My grandmother is Catholic, she converted against her father's wishes when she was in her late teens. If I didn't know about Mormonism, I'd probably be a Catholic, because I've always liked the rituals, the piety, and the social strength of the Catholic Church. But, since I do know about LDS and know in my deepest heart of hearts that its doctrines and revelations are true, well, that leaves me no choice!

I believe there is truth in every religion, just not the whole truth. So I don't have anything against anyone of any faith, as long as they don't have anything against me and mine. :)