What you said isn't quite right

checkerboy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pushka I have no idea when to use then or than, maybe you could enlighten me?

Also I was hoping we could get back to just posting pet peeves and not going off on wild tangents about dictionaries and grammer.

Thanks a bunch.

Don't you see that the tangents about dictionaries and grammar are pet peeves!

By the way - Why can't you all use the spell check?

Quote by Gwen: i'm sure i hit on most ppl's anoyances, starting with the never using caps. oh well. lol

Yes, your habit of not using upper case in the appropriate place is very annoying. It isn't nearly as irritating as when one uses chat room abbreviations in the forum.

Hidden

In speech we slur words when they do not begin with a constant sound so that they sound like one word.....could've and one'nd'only.

(Does my overdoing of ellipsis and various types of punctuation and incorrect useage bother anyone........? Or should three dots be mandatory!!!!!!!!!! Should words that end in 'ly' be eliminated?).

Jason *yep* : ) .

Punctuation and speechmarks...this depends on your location. The rules differ. I assume that John Does is correct in his application of punctuation for the U.S.

I claim the status of my punctuation and spelling as an occupational hazzard. I teach eight year olds. Elphie I'd love to send you an hour or two of marking : ))))).

Checkerboy there are only two possible *extreme doh* moments in terms of forum etiquette:

the zero replies thread poster and

the thread ender.

I claim both *grin*.

Writing G_d is annoying.

More pet peeves:

Those posters who use: lol- What gives here? Lots of laughs or Lots of love. So many times a smiley would be better.

Why do you end sentences with more than one exclamation point (!) or question mark?

Those who put a line-up of smilies or use just one smiley for a post. To me that is a waste of band width and is a lazy attempt to bolster your post count.

More pet peeves:

Those posters who use: lol- What gives here? Lots of laughs or Lots of love. So many times a smiley would be better.

Why do you end sentences with more than one exclamation point (!) or question mark?

Those who put a line-up of smilies or use just one smiley for a post. To me that is a waste of band width and is a lazy attempt to bolster your post count.

We do it cos we're as excitable as little puppies Iggy!!!! :D

Hidden

Pushka, his other quote refers to people who use multiple exclamation marks as people who wear their undies on their heads. *Checks*.

I'll admit it can make the text dance around a bit in front of your eyes to have to wade through exessive punctuation.

But really! It's a line with a dot underneath it.

You know what Wanderer? I LIKE YOU!

I know, I promised not to come back, but you have brought out the beast in me, and I just can't help myself! :rolleyes:

In speech we slur words when they do not begin with a constant sound so that they sound like one word.....could've and one'nd'only.

Absolutely!

My daughter, on the other hand, pronounces the word "something," "sumpin." She knows I hate it! It has occurred to me she does it on purpose, but I just can't imagine such a thing. Can you?

(Does my overdoing of ellipsis and various types of punctuation and incorrect useage bother anyone........? Or should three dots be mandatory!!!!!!!!!!

Nahhhhh.....!!!!!!! :animatedlol:

First, three ellipses, which is usually used to show the deletion of one or more words in condensing quotations, text and documents. For example: What would happen if we . . . and then go home?

The three ellipses also shows a pause; however, most writers avoid using them this way. But Wanderer . . . I enjoy your ellipses, so I say pause all you want. :P

Next four ellipses show the deletion of one or more words at the end of a sentence. For example: Carl tends to go off on a tangent about. . . . Notice the first period is placed immediately after the last word, in this case the "about."

Should words that end in 'ly' be eliminated?).

Perish the thought!

These are adverbs that we use all of the time. Just remember to never use a hyphen after any adverb that ends in "ly." But get rid of them? Not in this lifetime. Sorry Wanderer.

I assume that John Does is correct in his application of punctuation for the U.S.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but if it's what I explained above, it's where we discussed the "state of Utah," vs. the "State of Utah." Otherwise, I'm sure John is correct as well.

I claim the status of my punctuation and spelling as an occupational hazzard. I teach eight year olds. Elphie I'd love to send you an hour or two of marking : ))))).

Is that a threat? :animatedlol:

Your attitude is really fun Wanderer. I bet your 8 year olds love you!

Elphaba

Hidden

Elphie: I may have missed the general idea there.

the "State of Utah." vs the "State of Utah".

A closing quotation mark should appear before a punctuation mark, unless the punctuation mark forms part of the quotation itself. At least in this part of the world ; )

Elphie: I may have missed the general idea there.

the "State of Utah." vs the "State of Utah".

A closing quotation mark should appear before a punctuation mark, unless the punctuation mark forms part of the quotation itself. At least in this part of the world ; )

Hi Wanderer,

Here in the US the second version is always incorrect (period and comma behind QM). Question and exclamation marks depend on the sentence.

However, because you and John seemed to think otherwise, I decided to go searching, and voila, I did find an exception:

Exception:

In legal writing, the usual practice is to put in quotes only the exact words quoted, and to place any needed punctuation outside the quotes.

This makes it clear that the punctuation was not in the original term being quoted. For example:

This treaty was to be in force "for as long as the grass shall grow", but it was soon violated.

Notice the comma is behind the quotation marks. I had no idea this was ever allowed.

So thanks to John Doe and Wanderer for teaching me something I did not know!

Elphaba