What do you know about Argentina?

Argentina84

Argentina is a relatively wealthy nation, with rich natural resources. Also, the broadway play, and Madonna movie, Evita, was based upon Eva Piron--"Don't cry for me, Argentina!" Oh...oh! And, Argentinians speak Spanish, not Argentinian. :-)

So right, Prisonchaplin! Some details though:

1) Argentina is actually a "developing" country. Not because it's not a rich country, but because it's not very well administrated by our governments.

2) It's Eva Perón

3) And we speak Spanish, yes! hahaha It's a variety called "Rioplatense accent" in fact. We have changed some sounds, some verb inflexions, and the intonation, among other things...(I will not bore you with this stuff, unless you ask me)

:)

Hi there! I know that my friend Duane went to Argentina and really loved it there! ;-) I also know that there is a lot of European ancestry there. It's one of the few countries in central or south America that I'd like to visit, I hear the architecture is beautiful in Beunos Aires (sorry if I spelled that wrong)!

Hi there! I know that my friend Duane went to Argentina and really loved it there! ;-) I also know that there is a lot of European ancestry there. It's one of the few countries in central or south America that I'd like to visit, I hear the architecture is beautiful in Beunos Aires (sorry if I spelled that wrong)!

Hi! Very good! Yeah. we receive hundreds of visitors per year, which is great for me because I practice my English with them! LOL

Argentina received millions of Italian immigrants during the beginning of the last century. German and French people also came down here. So most of us have European ancestry. Many people study foreign languages as a result of this. There are lots of bilingual schools scattered in the country.

And the capital city, which is called Buenos Aires, like the most important province in the country, was built copying French architecture. So it's very nice. A friend of mine call it "Le Petite Paris" It's a beautiful city and the people are very amiable in general.

Thanks for participating in this thread! I am having a great time!

:)

I know that Tierra del Fuego is a stop over for Antarctica. I also know that one of the beloved professors at MAD has been referred to before as being Pampas, although I don't know what he has to do with the prairies of Argentina. ;)

Additionally, Argentina was involved in some sort of scuffle over the Falkland Islands, no?

The "Pampas" were the native inhabitants of the "Pampa" region of the country. It comprises the provinces of Buenos Aires, La Pampa, and the south of Córdoba. These native inhabitants were killed by the Spanish conquerors in the 19th century. (My information is not exact)

We had "The Falkland Islands" war with Great Britain in 1982. But I will not give my personal opinion because this is a very delicate subject. I can only say I would have been against it had I lived then. We call the islands the "Malvinas" islands.

Thanks!

Four of my coworkers are recent immigrants from Argentina and love drinking matte'. I love the slow pace of their conversation and speech.

My dad went on his mission there. While there he also learned to speak Italian and Portugese (he now speaks seven and is trying to learn gailic).

In South Korea, I used to purchase Argentine beef as often as possible because the flavor was superior to all varieties except Kobe beef which I couldn't afford anyway.

Dh served his mission in Argentina during the Falklands War. I know that the "ll" is pronounced "zh" instead of the usual "y" sound (for instance tortilla=torteezha). There's an area that serves grapes in and with everything. It's hard to keep the bugs out of chocolate (or it was 20 years ago).

I'll have to pick his brain some more.

Hahaha I am surprised you spell it "MATTE" with double T!

Boromir..Tell your dad I admire him! I wish I could speak as many languages as he does!

Thanks for posting! You know more than me! LOL

Abraham: Salta is a province located in the north of the country. It's very hot during the day and very cold at night. As Argentina is a looong country, we have a subtropical humid climate in the northern provinces and a very cold and dry climate in the southern ones.

Regards!

I do know that is bordered by (I think) 5 other countries...Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Brazil...and....hmmmm...I can't think what the other one is right now. I'm sure you can help me out with this. hehe

• 1 month later...

Diego Maradona... the red apples were extraordinary good when he won the World championship in forball (soccer) ... (Honestly this is fotbal the other is... rugby?)

I like the music over there. Beautyful sceenary. BYU dansers had a dans from Argentina... it was nice old kulture dance.

Diego Maradona... the red apples were extraordinary good when he won the World championship in forball (soccer) ... (Honestly this is fotbal the other is... rugby?)

I like the music over there. Beautyful sceenary. BYU dansers had a dans from Argentina... it was nice old kulture dance.

Glad you like the music. Do you like tango?

Thanks, Mailis!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kamperfoelie

i know the dogo argentino (see pic)... it was a mix of several breeds intended to be a sociable huntsman's dog. To stop hunters shooting their own dogs they mixed in a breed with a white pelt so they would stand out better against their surroundings. From personal experience i know they like to believe themselves lapdogs, despite being huge...

i also have a coworker who drinks an argentine drink made by stuffing a cup full of ground leaves and then pouring water on... is that the matte that was mentioned before?

Trabajé con una señorita de Argentina hace 15 años.

Me gusta el uso Argentino del lenguage - español con sabor a italiano. Usan "vos" en lugar de "tú", verdad? A mí, suena más bonito...casi colonial (el uso de "vos").

Argentina tiene una gran variedad de geografía: montaña, playa, bosque, desierto, nieve, calor...

Please feel free to correct my spanish! I need more practice.