The Peacegiver--James L. Ferrell

mormongal88

This book is incredible! Here's the description from Deseret Book

How is Christ the answer to a strained relationship with child, parent or sibling? What if I am being mistreated-- what does the atonement say about that? How can I discover the desire to repent when I don't feel the need to repent? These are the challenging questions of daily life, the questions to which the gospel must provide an answer if it is to have living, cleansing, redeeming power.

The Peacegiver is a book about the answers to these questions. In both content and form it is unlike other books about the atonement, for it unfolds as compelling story in which the characters learn about the Atonement as they struggle over the problems in their lives-- problems we each share. The book therefore allows us not only to "learn about" the Atonement but also to have an experience with it.

"My peace I give unto you," the Savior declared. The Peacegiver explores in a deeply personal way what we must do to receive the peace he stands willing to give.

Even if you don't have issues, it really helped me better understand a way the Atonement can be applied in my life. My friend put it this way--"It's the only book I've ever finished and then started right over at the beginning again." It is really an amazing book that can change the way you live your life if you let it.

This is a great book and for the most part I enjoyed it. I do not think I would read the book a second time but I do keep the book and I have marked a lot of the better parts of the book for future reference.

Personally, I had a hard time with the grand on that did not seem to get the concepts from his grandfather. My wife thought that helped her understand better.

It is a book everyone should read including non-members. There are principles that every believer in Christ should understand.

The Traveler

• 1 month later...

I loved the Peacegiver. For me, it came to me during a time in my life where I had much to forgive AND be forgiven for!!!!

The Lord was able to ask me the same question He asked Jonah. I love my Jesus. I love the questions He asks me.

Waiting with baited breath to buy "The Holy Secret"!!

• 9 months later...

Oh man the husband in this book was me. I love this book. Everyone should read this book. I have never had a better understanding of how forgiveness and the atonement relate then after I read this book.

(I had to resurrect this thread because I just read this book)

Well dear checkerboy -- I'm the husband as well, but in reality, I'm a wife:eek:

Every step of the way I was right there with Rick(y) -- full of 'yeah, but, what about....'

I'm still struggling with getting to the supposed happy ending that Rick had. My marriage is no where near to distruction that Rick's was but I could see that it could get there if I don't stop being such a 'Jonah.' I pray that some day I will be able to be an Abegail as well.

Many times I got frustrated with the book (part of who I am:p) because I just wanted the answer -- I didn't want to try and figure it out for myself^_^:lol:

I think this book has answers in stages. Understanding the Atonement and what it means in our lives is definitely an ongoing process.