American Idol LDS contestants

I have never followed this program in the past, but this year, my wife has brought to my attention 2 contestants to keep an eye on. They are Brooke White from Mesa, AZ, and David Archuleta from Murray, UT.

I was pleased to see Brooke stand up for her standards in the face of slight ridicule. And the YouTube videos of David Archuleta singing "Mary did you know", were especially enjoyable for me.

We really enjoyed reading the comments below these videos. I hope they continue to represent their standards and help rescue our culture from complete decay.

For those here who have no idea who I am talking about, you can check these clips out.

Brooke:

YouTube - Brooke White Hollywood Week American Idol Season 7

YouTube - American Idol - Brooke White - You're So Vain

David:

YouTube - American Idol - David Archuleta - Shop Around (HQ)

YouTube - American Idol - David Archuleta - Imagine - 2/27/08

YouTube - David Archuleta - Christmas - Mary Did You Know

Boring and useless show. Leave the singing to the professionals.

How do you think professionals get to be that way? Are they born professional? No, they strive to gain recognition by sharing their talent and hope to be "discovered" by somebody in the business. Go back 150 years and there were no "recording artists", and no such sharp distinction between "amateur" and "professional". Just good singers who entertained people. In other cultures where music still belongs to the people, where they aren't told to "leave the singing to the professionals", almost everyone can sing. Singing is part of everyday life. It's never entered their mindset that only a small number of special people can sing well, so there's no reason for them not to. Personally, I'm pleased to hear anyone who sings harmoniously and with feeling. It is a gift from God and should be passed on to the world, not kept to one's self, regardless of professional status.

The professional singers didn't start on American Idol that you can be sure of. All it is is a show to get ratings for Fox. It's very boring and a waste of programming time.

You do know that previous winners are being dropped from their record labels right?

It doesn't matter to me whether they are being dropped or not. I don't buy their albums. I barely even watch the show. I'm not defending the show or the singers in any way; I simply take umbrage at your implication that only "professional" singers can be any good, when nobody starts out professional.

I loved them both! Thanks for the links... keep me updated. How many are stil in this thing? I LOVE his voice and hers is good too. Kona can think what ever he wants, I like those two... not sure I like the show though... Thumbs up for both of them!

I am not sure that Brooke is LDS or not... If she is, she hasn't been to the temple. Unless she takes off her "g's" to 'dress up' for the show. I dunno. ( i don't wanna turn this into whether it's wrong or right to wear your "g's" for American Idol..that's none of my business)

I know she doesn't watch R movies, smoke or drink...Could it be possible that other Christian religions promote such things too? Either way, she is my fav. LDS or not.

I am not sure that Brooke is LDS or not... If she is, she hasn't been to the temple. Unless she takes off her "g's" to 'dress up' for the show. I dunno. ( i don't wanna turn this into whether it's wrong or right to wear your "g's" for American Idol..that's none of my business)

I know she doesn't watch R movies, smoke or drink...Could it be possible that other Christian religions promote such things too? Either way, she is my fav. LDS or not.

Did you see Marie Osmond on "Dancing with the Stars"? She wasn't wearing her's some nights either.

Did you see Marie Osmond on "Dancing with the Stars"? She wasn't wearing her's some nights either.

I didn't see all of the Dancing With The Stars episodes, but I did notice some of Marie's costumes were a little risque for a church member...I did spot her garments underneath the clothes she wore for rehearsals, however. :)

It is not unusual for an LDS performer, especially a dancer, to remove their garments for the duration of their performance. LDS athletes do it all the time. Sometimes dance or performance clothing, while still somewhat modest, may reveal more than what the garment covers. Mostly the outfits that are cut in such a way so that there is less restriction in their movement, and the garment would show under it. I see no problem with removing the garment for the performance as long as the overall performance outfit is still generally modest.

Now, if Marie Osmond were to perform in the type of 'clothing' that Britney Spears wears, then I think I might have a problem with that.

The professional singers didn't start on American Idol that you can be sure of. All it is is a show to get ratings for Fox. It's very boring and a waste of programming time.

You do know that previous winners are being dropped from their record labels right?

While some of the singers from Idol are being dropped, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are very popular and have won Grammys.

I have never followed this program in the past, but this year, my wife has brought to my attention 2 contestants to keep an eye on. They are Brooke White from Mesa, AZ, and David Archuleta from Murray, UT.

I was pleased to see Brooke stand up for her standards in the face of slight ridicule. And the YouTube videos of David Archuleta singing "Mary did you know", were especially enjoyable for me.

We really enjoyed reading the comments below these videos. I hope they continue to represent their standards and help rescue our culture from complete decay.

For those here who have no idea who I am talking about, you can check these clips out.

Brooke:

YouTube - Brooke White Hollywood Week American Idol Season 7

YouTube - American Idol - Brooke White - You're So Vain

David:

YouTube - American Idol - David Archuleta - Shop Around (HQ)

YouTube - American Idol - David Archuleta - Imagine - 2/27/08

It's too bad two of them were removed due to violation of terms of use. I would have liked to have seen them.