How to Get Names Ready for the Temple

FamilyHistoryGeek

Does anyone know of a good source, book or site, of how to get names ready for the temple?

Say, for example, I have an ancestor, call him Fred Mertz (in honor of the guy from the I Love Lucy show).

I don't know if Fred's work has been done.

How do I find out if his work has been done?

If it hasn't been done, what info is required for submission?

Once I have all the info required, where do I send it to?

I'm looking for a book that answers these questions. Or maybe a website.

go to your nearest Family History Center........they have the programs that tell if his work has been done. They also have people there that can help you get names ready for submission. Right now the Church is changing the way you get names ready and some temple districts are online with that now, while others are still waiting. The new way will take about 5 steps, where the old way is about 15 steps.......

Before going to the Family History Centre to check if work has been done for particular people, is it enough to gather information from your Family Tree and the Family Trees of others who are related to you?

I have been a member of the UK website GenesReunited, and I have started to compile my family tree and have access to others' trees, some of which have shared relatives with me...

Does anyone know of a good source, book or site, of how to get names ready for the temple?

Say, for example, I have an ancestor, call him Fred Mertz (in honor of the guy from the I Love Lucy show).

I don't know if Fred's work has been done.

How do I find out if his work has been done?

If it hasn't been done, what info is required for submission?

Once I have all the info required, where do I send it to?

I'm looking for a book that answers these questions. Or maybe a website.

Be sure that you have the correct Fred Mertz. The one married to Ethyl and not to Evelyn. :lol:

Verify every piece of data you get. No matter 'how reliable the source'. Unless you witnessed it and wrote the information down as it happened, don't rely on it being correct.

Don't use Grandma or Mom as reliable sources either. Take their information and then get the official copies to back them up.

Here is a site that explains this better: My Plea for More Citation of Primary Sources

Some more web sites to get help and/or information:

Census Finder- Free Census Records: Census Finder - Free Census Records Online

Census Online: Census Online - 45,772 Links to Online Census Records

English Research on the Internet: Egnlish Research on the Interent

FamilySearch.org: FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

National Association of Counties|Find a County: NACo | Find a County

Land Record Reference: Land Record Reference

Go to your Family History Center and get their help. It is free, it is accurate and they LOVE doing it!