Hey British type folks

Jbs2763

i know we have Linux it doesn't run for us either but looks like he is from near Plymouth in Devon you may get further back but unlikely it depends how well educated and prominent the family were - my illiterate farming lot I can't get past about 1700-1710. But I did want to say what a splendid Cornish name it might be great for you to look into Cornish Culture its quite distinct from the rest of the UK. There is a legend that Christ visited the area the Cornish Tin Miners had a chant about it and the legends are fabulous.

-Charley

They even had their own language Cornish which is still spoken amongst a few people.

The re are few records before that time & have you "proved" the connection?

So many people take for granted that we have the same name & lived innthe same place so we must be connected ain't neccassarilly so.

I always check what people give me back it up were possible & if there is no proof positive it's a "maybe"

I have been very lucky in that I have mainly Scottish blood.I also have a lot of documentation from my lines too.

The farthest back I have got with proof is 1750's with my ancestors living in a Bortriphinie,Banff(McKimmie) they were mainly crofters(farmers) not big -wigs just ordinary folk.

I was lucky though that they stayed there,the Parish kept good records & from a family bible I knew what one of the GGGGGreat-Granny was named.

B-G forums is a good one though I use it often.

A "crofter" is actually some one who made "thatched roofs", made with wheat and straw. They are are very rare today in England, usually only on some of the very oldest of homes.

Cornish is not a real language, is a way of speaking, like a regional accent. Though listening to it spoken today, you really would think it was a language!

"The agricultural system of Skye is crofting, and for the benefit of those to whom 'croft' is a new word let us explain. It is not a building or a house as is often implied, but a smallholding or a stretch of land ranging in size from 1 acre to 50 acres or upwards. The tenant or owner of a croft is called a 'crofter'. A crofter's son once defined a croft as a small area of land surrounded by regulations."

A Short History of Crofting in Skye

The Cornish language (in Cornish: Kernowek, Kernewek, Curnoack) is one of the Brythonic group of Celtic languages (Brythonic also includes Welsh, Breton, the extinct Cumbric and perhaps the hypothetical Ivernic). The languages Scottish Gaelic, Irish and Manx are part of the separate Goidelic group. Cornish shares about 80% basic vocabulary with Breton, 75% with Welsh, 35% with Irish, and 35% with Scottish Gaelic. By comparison, Welsh shares about 70% with Breton. Cornish continued to function as a community language until the late 18th century, and was revived early in the 20th century.

Cornish language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia