Best Parenting Advice

NateHowe

wow...i'm joining this late in the game...but here's my advise.

Talk to your son everyday. Be actively engaged in what they've done that day. They just love to tell you all about what happened at school. And if you start that when they're young it will stay with them in to teenagerhood :)

Have fun with him. I try to make sure that even though I'm Mom we can still have fun together.

Every stage is a great one! There's nothing to be scared of! oh! one more thing...Have family home evening! It will keep your family close :)

~~~pam~~~

My best advise. Kick them out before they reach the teenage stage.

:lol::lol: Do you know someone who wants a teenager??? A 15 year old male? Just for a few years; I do want im back.

~~~siouxz72~~~

Every stage is a great one!

And if you start that when they're young it will stay with them in to teenagerhood :)

No! :lol: Every stage is NOT great. They morph into sullen, non-communicative, strangers. :eek: Or angry aliens.:eek:

(Not all...but a lot...;)) And if yours did not...WOW! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Don't beat yourself up when you can't fix their problems or make their life easier. I've found that when i'm upset with myself because there is something wrong with my son, then i'm too depressed to handle the situation correctly or enjoy being a mother.

You cannot fix everything. I don't know how many times it's been told to me and it's completely true.

• 1 month later...

I've got a 20 year old someone can have. She seems pretty convinced that I am a failure. I eat meat, watch Glenn Beck and think that there isn't anything cooler than Dean Martin. So, in her eyes, I am an inadequate parent. Please send her back when life has punched her in the teeth a few times and she realizes that all of the "pie in the sky" p-o-o-p that she's been fed in college doesn't work in "real life".

O43

I've got a 20 year old someone can have. She seems pretty convinced that I am a failure. I eat meat, watch Glenn Beck and think that there isn't anything cooler than Dean Martin. So, in her eyes, I am an inadequate parent. Please send her back when life has punched her in the teeth a few times and she realizes that all of the "pie in the sky" p-o-o-p that she's been fed in college doesn't work in "real life".

O43

Just get her married off to a guy who is a younger version of you (the father).

The funny thing is...that's usually the kind of guys alot of girls like her marry. Guys just like her father...they just don't realize it at the time.

She's lucky she's in Provo. Friday I had $500+ in my checking account which would be plenty to get us through to my wife's next pay day (I get paid once a month...). My wife gave her her debit card to fill up for the trip back to Utah. Today we had a negative balance in the account. I am ready to blow a gasket I'm so mad.

O43

//I am ready to blow a gasket I'm so mad.//

Solution.... punch your wife in the teeth.... Just kidding!!! What I meant to say is... Good luck. 20 year old's should be earning their own money I say, and mother's should have facilitated that ideal long before 20 yrs old.

I'm just a mother talking, in general, since this is parenting advice and all. No digs meant.... except for the back flip of the teeth one :)

//I am ready to blow a gasket I'm so mad.//

Solution.... punch your wife in the teeth.... Just kidding!!! What I meant to say is... Good luck. 20 year old's should be earning their own money I say, and mother's should have facilitated that ideal long before 20 yrs old.

I'm just a mother talking, in general, since this is parenting advice and all. No digs meant.... except for the back flip of the teeth one :)

You are right, she should have a job. She spent two months of summer break sleeping in, and then dining on Vegan Thai food on her boyfriend's account. I'd say, Why don't you get a job?" Her excuse was that no one would hire her for two months. I know that is horse poop. I have come to grips with the fact that I have a just plain lazy kid. And my wonderful wife, for whatever reason, just enables her at every turn.

O43

O43

O43- Thanks so much for that one- I just sprayed my monitor with Crystal Light! Eeewwww- sticky. I was just like your 20 yr old is now. After life had kicked me not only in my teeth buy also all over the body - I was pretty humbled when I went to my Mom and asked her to forgive me.

Isn't there a saying: Parents get smarter as teenagers get older?

Nate- some advice for you: If your little one has night terrors/nightmares, have him draw pictures. If he if afraid to, assure him that with you, Daddy, standing right there, the dream and the dream picture can not harm him - ever!

I had night terrors nearly all my life. It wasn't until I was around 6 that Daddy had me draw the dream. It didn't stop the terrors, but it did stop the dreams from repeating themselves. Also, because Daddy said the dreams couldn't hurt me - cause bruises, draw blood or break bones or kill me - I wasn't afraid to go to bed at night.

After my fathers funeral, as Mom and I was going through the trunks of stuff Dad had saved, there were all of my dream pictures. As I looked at them, I remembered each one! Out of 7 kids, I was the only one who experienced night terrors.

I am 56 now, and from the time I married my second husband (both of us endowed members of the church) I have never had a night terror!!

Play with your children. Get down on the floor or ground and join in with their games. Daddy would sit on the ground with us and make mud pies, he would sit in a lawn chair and actually nap while we played house around him, laying our baby dolls and the pet cat on him to nap too.

When your son gets old enough to stand on a chair at the kitchen sink and wash dishes, then stand there next to him, rinse and dry the dishes and talk to each other. Daddy used to tell me about when he was in the Army- his favorite duty was KP duty. You were always warm, and you got the best food to eat.