Baby Names & would this be cruel?

Elgama

OK not even sure I am pregnant but I just love names and it takes my husband and I ages to decide.

Would calling a baby Nephi be too cruel I know I have asked before but its growing on me.

Also I like Ziva for a girl what do you think? any other short Hebrew names would be welcome as suggestions.

-Charley

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nephi to me would be excellent, and Ziva to. i named my daughter KEELEY thinking there was no one with that name, after the fact i was standing in the check out line at walmart and picked up a baby name book and keeley was in it and means "beautiful" and now ive discovered several people with that name. i like very rare first names, it makes the individual stand out. happy hunting , let us know what you decide. best wishes , tree

I'm glad you responded Willow good to have a British view, my husband has always said no way before but this time he didn't - when I posted it on a UK names board most assumed it was Biblical lol they all loved Mosiah and one very Non LDS lady went on to use it - but Nephi is more obviously LDS I feel. Do you think it would be horrendous if went inactive?

-Charley

Someone here on this site has a sibling with the name Nephi :) Angus reminds me of steak

its supposed too lol - my husbands Gran was a rancher and they ranched Black Angus she is descended from the man who bred them originally (Hugh Watson) and the one that took them over to the US from the town my daughter now goes to school.

-Charley

I think it's a great name. I don't know if I could do it though. LOL. I used the BofM names for middle names. I have a Cameron Moroni and a William Ammon. My husband's grandfather and great grandfather were named Moroni. My dad's grandfather was named Helaman and his other grandfather was named Brigham Young - Brigham was his first name and Young was his middle name. I guess they really liked the prophet. :lol:

I'm trying to think of names too! :D I'm almost 14 weeks along now, I have three boys, and if we have to figure out another boy name, it's going to be hard!

I do like the name Nephi, but for me personally, I would worry about what if he left the church someday and he had one more thing to be resentful about - giving him a Book of Mormon name. On the other hand, he might think it's super cool. My dad is an Atheist now and his middle name is Christian. I wonder if it bugs him. :D

I think unique names are cool, but I have decided not to torture my kids by making them have to spell/repeat them over and over again. My name isn't unusual at all, but still this person from tech support drove me half insane last night when I had to tell her over and over again how to spell it and say it.

When my aunt had a baby boy with her 2nd husband, we came to visit them at the hospital and they said they were torn between Caelyn and Devin. Everyone said, "Devin!" Well, her husband was very annoyed that no one liked Caelyn, so just to spite everyone, that's what they named him. Now my aunt regrets naming him that because no one can spell it and everyone thinks it's a girl name.

When I choose names, I like them to have cool meanings. I'm considering the name Carmen for a girl. There are two definitions I found - a song and garden or orchard. I like both of those. My husband and I both love music - he plays drums and guitar, I sing, play the piano, and I dabble in guitar. I thought it would be so cool for our daughter's name to mean "a song". Her middle name would be Elizabeth.

With girl names, I try not to go for anything too cutesie because someday they'll have to put their name on a resume and unfortunately, people do take that into consideration sometimes. My mom had a foster sister named Bunny.

I'm also not into names that will become nicknames people want to lose. I've met too many people who have grown up and are still trying to get people to stop calling them Tommy, Bobby, Timmy, Jimmy, etc. I remember when my friend Suzy suddenly wanted to become "Suzanne". It was a hard transition for me. I'd been calling her Suzy for over a decade.

Then there's the issue of names that would be perfectly good if someone hadn't ruined them for me.

And I don't like names that sound snooty.

Some names I can't imagine calling a baby for some reason.

And I don't typically like one syallable names.

So as you see, I'm pretty picky and will probably have a heck of a time picking out a name for this one.

Other girl names I like:

Marion

Miriam

Shannon

Eleanor (we could call her Ella while she's little and I think it would still be good as an adult)

Meredith (I don't know why I like it, but I had an acquaintance when I was a kid with this name. She was beautiful, quiet, and shy. She seemed like a really nice person.)

Lauren (but I don't like it with our last name, so that one's probably out)

There are more, but I've forgotten at the moment.

Boys:

Uhhhhhhhh .....

Well, we have a large family with lots of boys and we're trying not to duplicate names. This is difficult. Then there are names that carry negative memories for my husband or me. Any names he loves and I hate we have agreed he can name the dog (if we ever get one). He loves the name Linus. There is no way. If he had taken my maiden name, then maybe. It sounds ridiculous with our last name.

I considered the name Jay after my grandpa, but my brother-in-law would freak out because there is this guy with that name that got too flirtatious with my sister and it made him really mad.

I don't know why, but a lot more boy names have been ruined for me than girl names. I tossed the name Evan around for a while, but I'm not loving it. I had such a hard time naming my second son, it took a dream to choose it, which really helped actually! :)

Ok, I'm done blabbing now. I could talk forever about baby names.

I'm not sure I would do that to a child of mine, but that's me. I have a cousin who named his son Ammon. My wife would like to name our baby, if it's a girl and if we have one, Mayleena. I guess I like the boring names. My son's name is Tyler.

I guess anything would be better than "Apple" :lol:

Hey, I think I like the name Tyler! Would you care if I stole it? I'll definitely have to put it on a list of possible boy names.

I think I might like the name Brady too. We had a neighbor friend named Brady growing up and I remember him being a pretty nice kid.

Hey, I think I like the name Tyler! Would you care if I stole it? I'll definitely have to put it on a list of possible boy names.

I think I might like the name Brady too. We had a neighbor friend named Brady growing up and I remember him being a pretty nice kid.

Sure, you can send the royalty checks to......:lol:

Brady? I have a niece named Braelynne, but everyone calls her Brady.