Baby Names & would this be cruel?

Elgama

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I would do that to a child of mine, but that's me. I have a cousin who named his son Ammon. My wife would like to name our baby, if it's a girl and if we have one, Mayleena. I guess I like the boring names. My son's name is Tyler.

I guess anything would be better than "Apple" :lol:

Funny you should mention Apple (I do know where that is coming from). I think I posted in another thread ages and ages ago about a friend of mine I grew up with. Her last name was Apple...and her first name was......drum roll.....Candy. So she was Candy Apple.

Funny you should mention Apple (I do know where that is coming from). I think I posted in another thread ages and ages ago about a friend of mine I grew up with. Her last name was Apple...and her first name was......drum roll.....Candy. So she was Candy Apple.

lol - that is fantastic, I actually quite like both Apple and Moses, my first pregnancy was called Apple and the name grew on me. Glad I didn't name Ellie Apple though as Gwyneth pinched the name a few months later

-Charley

• 3 weeks later...

Elgama just have to tell you how my kids got their names. My oldest son... Dad wanted Stian.. I touht it was ok... but we wanted an other name too.. so we red the namebook aloud... we got to Michael... and the baby was smiling from one ear to an other and kicking of enthusiasm... we red teh names again... quess what happened when we got to Michel... right he was sooo happy of that mane that he become Stian Michael. My younger... when dad tok him back from wash... that little newborn was already MAKING VOICES alike a baby of a few weeks... so I tought of a name of a person who was a good speaker.... I tought of Johannes døperen= John the babtist in norwegean. We had already decided for Martin who was my husbands grandfather form Mothers side. Fathers side was same as my husband and he said NO, not my name! Anyway so he become Martin Johannes.

Our baby girl is due in August and we are having a fun time finding a name. We think we have one picked. Aislin Rae. (Ace-Lyn Ray) My husband found it online and we both really like it. But we are not closing the book on names just yet.

I live in Utah, so I have heard kids named Nephi all over the place. If you don't live in Utah, then I'd say it's ok to name him Nephi. If we were expecting a boy, we have Liam and Oliver on our list.

Goodluck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I understand why someone might want to name there child after someone they admire from the bible or BOM. I personally find it cheesy. I love Nephi the prophet but would NEVER name my child that. I'm curious why members do this????? These names are sooo outdated and aren't really flattering in my opinion.

My little sister named her last child, "Hyrum Joseph" and no one has had a problem with it. Name your child what you like, after hearing names like Moon Unit Zappa and Dweezil Zappa, I think Society can deal with Nehpi. Besides he is being named after a wonderful person in history.

You know my Dad's parents gave their sons unusual and significant names: Parley, Parker, Marden (you could figure out that part of the family tree right there), Orin. He and his brothers mostly hated it because they got cruel nicknames in school (my dad was particularly enraged over "Snorin' Orin").

So he insisted on giving all his sons names that had obvious nicknames: Robert, James, Keith (OK, Mom got her way with that one).

And what did we do? I'm "R.O.", James is "Arlo" and poor Keith's main tormentors about his name were us (we were imaginative, but bad brothers, when all is said and done).

Naturally,

R.O.

PS. Keith named one of his kids "Pratt." OK here, but a slightly obscene insult in most English-speaking countries.

Edited by Captain_Curmudgeon
PS

• 2 weeks later...

I like Nephi Black, but I've known a lot of guys named Angus and none of them have really impressed me. My boys middles names are Magnus and Asa. They are family names so it's good, but in ways I still really feel bad for them. Asa should have been Verl, but I just couldn't do it so we went with my grandfather's middle name instead. Anyhow, I like Nephi. I also like the nickname of Nev.