Baby Names & would this be cruel?

Elgama

My family has this thing about having hard names to spell. I hate it, trying to remember how to spell their names on their Birthday's.:confused:

:lol: I know, that's the worst when you misspell a relative's name.

Oh yeah. I just remembered I like the name Amelia for a girl too. My friend keeps joking that we're going to name the baby Gertrude. She keeps calling my fetus Gertrude and I told her I'm going to name her that just to spite her. She said, "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" It's funny how some names become associated with old ladies. Ethell, Edna, etc. But my friend brought back the name Stella. It's hip again.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't name the kid Maher-shalal-hash-baz, okay?

I like Nephi, but I'm more for Lehi, myself. I think it's because I've for a long time wanted to name a son Levi, too.

I always like the idea of naming a child using names from Scriptures, Family, or ancestral history. (Such as... If you're Norwegian, using a Norwegian name.)

You could always name the boy after me ;) (My name's Grayson. It's pretty uncommon, though I think gaining popularity. Get it quick before it's trendy!)

i'd go with black before angus even as a middle name. unless you have a genetic history of an inability to gain weight. kids can be mean. i can just see the school yard now if you name him after a cow and he's chubby by any streatch of the imagination..... sorry not trying to sound negative or anything. by the way that's an awsome family history line.

i'm less than 2 months out and still working on a name. i've got a couple of ppl i chat with and run name ideas past. i recently got told "it's your kid" lol

one thing hubby and i have always done is wait till the baby gets here to tell anyone the name. we sometimes discuss potential name ideas to get a feel but we wait till after the birth to share the final decision. we find it helpful to keep other ppl out of it. also ppl react differently lol my sis confessed that if we had told her the name of our first when it was still "just a name" she would have critisized it but it was way different when we showed her a baby and said "meet elias". how do you says eww to that precious baby lol she also says she likes it now and it fits him perfectly, she just had to get used to it. lol

fortunately I am in Scotland so the Angus is kind of normal as a name (it and Fergus are also kind of trendy right now), place as well as a cow lol if we move to the US that could become a problem but I have already given up Jemima because of that.

Thanks MorningStar witter away I love names why my hubby and end up discussing at the mere whiff of a pregnancy lol My daughters name is Elana Clare - Elana is Hebrew for Tree and I wanted her to grow big, strong and wise, Clare can mean Clear and Bright and is also taken from my Father in Laws mn Clarence. My son is Gabriel MacRae, Gabriel is Hero or Strong Man of God and MacRae can mean Son of Grace which I like.

Thats my only thing with Nephi is lack of meaning and I have the same concerns what if he goes inactive he can always call himself Angus lol Our alternatives right now are Malachi (I like that it means Messenger of God and also has the Hebrew/Irish flavour that Gabriel has to it) and I love Abram or Abraham. Isaac is always on the list

Ziva is a keeper I think it means Gold in Hebrew and I love it more each time I say it and my husband loves the character on NCIS he says she is how he would love his daughters to turn out.

-Charley

I'm all about classics. I like that in the future, when ordering from Talbot's over the phone, DD can just say, "Catherine. With a C." rather than "No, no, it's K-H-A-T-H-A-R-H-Y-N-N-E."

Hey Siouxsie! Miriam! Medium! ;) LOL It's too late now, but had there been a surprise third child in our household, Miriam would be on the short list.

I like the idea of naming a baby out of the scriptures, however be prepared to use a middle name. I had a friend named "Craig" and later found out his first name was Moroni, but in kindergarden it was hard to pronounce and he was called macaroni...so he went by his middle name of Craig.

I tried to be slightly less common with naming my daughter Alice and ran into a friend from college with an Alice of her own. Great minds think alike.

It doesn't matter what others think is right for the kiddo, its not thier child. Besides if the name is horribly wrong, I am sure you will be prompted with a different name at the birth. Afterall, John the Baptist was a great example of going against tradition to be named through inspiration.

My husband and I have no children (yet) but have already determined names for our kids. We started talking about kids about three months after we met, so they have grown on us.

Constance Eileen (My Grandmother's name & My Grandmother's middle name)

Edward Lee (His Grandfather's name & My Dad's middle name)

Irish Katherine (His Grandmother's nick name & His Aunt's name)

Wanna stick with family names...

I'm also one for unusual names.It sucks when there are so many of you or of a friend lol.

My best friends name is Justine.Always thought that was a good name.i like the Nephi bit.I don't think he'd be teased.He'd be teased if he had...Theodore...although I always liked that name lol.

I have a slightly unusual name, which has become more common over time. I envy people with functional names whenever I have to spell it out umpteen times over the phone. Mostly I don't bother to correct people unless I absolutely have to. I don't mind. I also have an offbeat sense of humour, introducing myself rather quickly is a source of entertainment at boring social gatherings.

its supposed too lol - my husbands Gran was a rancher and they ranched Black Angus she is descended from the man who bred them originally (Hugh Watson) and the one that took them over to the US from the town my daughter now goes to school.

-Charley

Okay, great, so name him after your husband's GRAN, not after the job Gran did.

Ditch Angus. It would be unkind of you to give him that name. Keep Nephi if you want, but I'd use it as a middle name, especially because you have concerns about it.

Also, do not pressure your husband on what to name the baby. Husbands can be very thoughtful and come up with fabulous names. My husband came up with Hazel for our daughter, and it's a great name. It grew on my though, and the more I thought about it the more right it felt. I mention that so that you don't reject his thoughts off hand.

Ziva is pretty cool, but it rhymes with Diva. I can see children calling her Ziva Diva.

Names have power.

If you are having difficulties naming your child, ask Heavenly Father. He'll help you find a good name.

Okay, great, so name him after your husband's GRAN, not after the job Gran did.

Ditch Angus. It would be unkind of you to give him that name. Keep Nephi if you want, but I'd use it as a middle name, especially because you have concerns about it.

Also, do not pressure your husband on what to name the baby. Husbands can be very thoughtful and come up with fabulous names. My husband came up with Hazel for our daughter, and it's a great name. It grew on my though, and the more I thought about it the more right it felt. I mention that so that you don't reject his thoughts off hand.

Ziva is pretty cool, but it rhymes with Diva. I can see children calling her Ziva Diva.

Names have power.

If you are having difficulties naming your child, ask Heavenly Father. He'll help you find a good name.

li

My Childrens names have both been revelation - we are not struggling yet lol

I don't think Angus is unworkable as just a middle name or unkind have decided to keep it I like the idea that it is a family connection for my husband that has come full circle - Kinloss near where we live in Scotland is where the herd of cattle that Richard's Gran ranched came from their descendent's are still in the family - for my husbands Gran her ranch wasn't her work it was her life and much more part of her identity than Elizabeth or Wright would be - she went by Mom, Grandma etc mostly. My husband has grown to the idea - and in my area Angus is no more unworkable than Hazel would be - here Hazel was popular 30-50 years ago so all the Hazel's are middle aged so its frumpy rather than old lady chic like Mabel, Ethel, Margaret and Sylvia, I like Hazel because of people I went to school with but its a bit like Gillian, Julie, Joanne and Jennifer nice name for a Mum or Aunty. When we move to the US he will just have to deal with it - some kids are bullied some aren't - we chose Kansas partly because it has an easy Homeschooling option.

Our concerns are resolved with Nephi and it will go on the shortlist - Nephi Angus Smith - my only slight concern left is not knowing its meaning but I think it must have a good one given its bearer. Isaac Angus is number 2

Ziva if I can talk my husband into it is staying along with Jemima both feel right and that they would belong to the same child.

LOL Although yesterday my daughter looked up from playing the DS and said to me Mummy we are having 2 boys soon Moses and Joseph (our surnames Smith lol) given my daughters ability to be right with these things they are being added to my list despite my huge doubts about Joseph.

-Charley

fortunately I am in Scotland so the Angus is kind of normal as a name (it and Fergus are also kind of trendy right now), place as well as a cow lol if we move to the US that could become a problem but I have already given up Jemima because of that.

Thanks MorningStar witter away I love names why my hubby and end up discussing at the mere whiff of a pregnancy lol My daughters name is Elana Clare - Elana is Hebrew for Tree and I wanted her to grow big, strong and wise, Clare can mean Clear and Bright and is also taken from my Father in Laws mn Clarence. My son is Gabriel MacRae, Gabriel is Hero or Strong Man of God and MacRae can mean Son of Grace which I like.

Thats my only thing with Nephi is lack of meaning and I have the same concerns what if he goes inactive he can always call himself Angus lol Our alternatives right now are Malachi (I like that it means Messenger of God and also has the Hebrew/Irish flavour that Gabriel has to it) and I love Abram or Abraham. Isaac is always on the list

Ziva is a keeper I think it means Gold in Hebrew and I love it more each time I say it and my husband loves the character on NCIS he says she is how he would love his daughters to turn out.

-Charley

Hey Charley,

So far, judging by your daughter's and son's names I have to say you have great taste.

But in my personal opinion I don't like Nephi. I live in Alberta, Canada and we have a sizeable Mormon community. I of course am familiar with BofM character names, so when I found out my son's elementary school classmate's name was Nephi; my first thought was "he must be Mormon". Now of course there's nothing wrong with being Mormon but I don't know if it's fair for the child to be initially noticed based on his religion. I am not sure of the Mormon community in Scotland, but I would take that into consideration when picking a specific name from a specific book. Now of course Angus is a perfect name and since it is a family name that makes it even better.

I wasn't sure at first what I thought of Ziva, but since you mentioned NCIS the light bulb went on and I have to say it's a wonderful name. Did you mention that the girl's name would be Ziva Elizabeth? If so, an even better combination would be Ziva Elspeth. If I was younger and could have more children Elspeth would be my choice.

Good luck with the names!

M.

Hey Charley,

So far, judging by your daughter's and son's names I have to say you have great taste.

But in my personal opinion I don't like Nephi. I live in Alberta, Canada and we have a sizeable Mormon community. I of course am familiar with BofM character names, so when I found out my son's elementary school classmate's name was Nephi; my first thought was "he must be Mormon". Now of course there's nothing wrong with being Mormon but I don't know if it's fair for the child to be initially noticed based on his religion. I am not sure of the Mormon community in Scotland, but I would take that into consideration when picking a specific name from a specific book. Now of course Angus is a perfect name and since it is a family name that makes it even better.

I wasn't sure at first what I thought of Ziva, but since you mentioned NCIS the light bulb went on and I have to say it's a wonderful name. Did you mention that the girl's name would be Ziva Elizabeth? If so, an even better combination would be Ziva Elspbeth. If I was younger and could have more children Elspeth would be my choice.

Good luck with the names!

M.

one advantage of living in Godless Scotland is most people assume Nephi and Mosiah are biblical lol they have to be LDS to know where it came from.

:) thanks i may change my mind lol

-Charley