Ancestral File

FamilyHistoryGeek

Is Ancestral File the same as Ancestry.com? In looking through the IGI, I see this message often:

Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church to request LDS temple ordinances. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.

By "Ancestral File" are they referring to the database at Ancestry.com or is there yet another database somewhere I should access?

Ancestral File is not any part of Ancestry.com.

Ancestral File is a family tree database made up from contributed information, not necessarily contributed for temple purposes. While Pedigree Resource File is a collection of unlinked family trees, Ancestral File is a giant linked tree, similar to the WorldConnect project at Rootsweb, or One World Tree at Ancestry.com.

You can search Ancestral File at no cost, at familysearch.org. Click Search, and click Ancestral File on the left.

Happy hunting.

Is Ancestral File the same as Ancestry.com? In looking through the IGI, I see this message often:

Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church to request LDS temple ordinances. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.

By "Ancestral File" are they referring to the database at Ancestry.com or is there yet another database somewhere I should access?

It is part of the LDS database. IIGI is what you are looking for. To get there, you have to go to lds.org, familysearch, sign in and have your membership number. Get this number from your Ward Clerk.

Have you visited the Family History Center in your stake yet? IF not, you really should. You should also see if they give any classes in how to do your geneology. If it is held at the church, then it shouldn't cost any more than a couple of bucks to offset the cost of the paperwork. These classes are well worth the time to go to.

• 3 years later...