• Jehovah's Witness
    • Southern Baptist
    • Pentecostal
    • Evangelical

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like being called a "Mormon", but I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The reason I don't like being called Mormon is because I am not a follower of Mormon. I am a follower of Christ. Mormon was a prophet I have great respect for, but my salvation lies with Christ being my Advocate on Judgment Day.

I prefer to call myself a "Latter-Day Saint Christian" or "Latter-Day Saint."

My church is the Assemblies of God. We are Protestant and Evangelical, but most distinctively Pentecostal. I consider most of the labels above to be praise-worthy, btw. :-)

I was thinking I've probably split hairs that weren't meant to be split :) But I'm assuming you can one of the above without the others, right?

I was thinking I've probably split hairs that weren't meant to be split :) But I'm assuming you can one of the above without the others, right?

All evangelicals are protestants, but not all protestants are evangelical.

All pentecostals are evangelical, but not all evangelicals are pentecostal.

So I am protestant, evangelical and pentecostal. However, pentecostal is the most descriptive, so I chose it.

It seems to me that very little is even knowable in this universe. I consider this an informed opinion (full minors in Math and Physics) and not just cowardice.

It also seems perfectly acceptable to say "I'm undecided and awaiting further evidence" when that's the case instead of taking sides.

As for values, I'm heavily influenced by my multi-generational Mormon heritage but my beliefs are different.

As you all know I am new here.

Sometimes it gets a little confusing reading everyone's posts since some people I'm not sure if they're mormon or not.

So, please post your religion as well as answering the poll.

That way I can just know and therefore have an idea of what to expect. :)

Thanks!

I am LDS ( "Mormon" )

Tom

I'm LDS. I don't mind the Mormon label because of the strong pioneer connection. I'm proud of my pioneer heritage and hope that if I had to make their choices I would make the same choices and sacrifices.

Ever since I read this talk I've been happy to be called Mormon :)

LDS.org - Ensign Article - <i>Mormon</i> Should Mean “More Good”

I'm guessing that to be called "Mormon," is akin to people calling us Pentecostals "Holy Rollers." (FYI: the term applies to an caricature of our altar services, where people sometimes are filled with the Spirit, go to the ground, and in a few extreme cases, shake with emotion). Many Pentecostals bristle at the label, but some take pride in their willingness to let God take total control, even if it sometimes doesn't look too dignified.

The one difference is that when people say "Holy Roller," they are almost universally intending to be derogatory. When non-members of your church call you "Mormon," the term itself is nuetral. If the speaker is anti-Mormon s/he will be just as easily anti-LDS. My humble opinion, of course. :-)