• Protestant
    • Nondenominational Christian
    • Islam
    • Other (please post)
    • Jehovah's Witness
    • Southern Baptist
    • Pentecostal
    • Evangelical

I was looking at the poll again, and noticed the option atheist is italicized. I am pretty certain it was not done on purpose.

Elphie

It was done on purpose. It's pretty clear (or you could wade through the HTML) that if you've voted, your choice is italicized. I'm an Other (please post) and I posted to explain why I think Skeptic is different from the other choices, notably atheist and agnostic.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its a standard feature of forum voting lists but its sort of funny. Cause you would hope people would know which one they had chosen.

(In case some don't know, you can click on the numbers and they give you a list of some of whom have chosen which category.)

Edited by AnthonyB

No Pastafarian option??? Oh well, I guess I'll have to cast my vote for atheist then.

I heard a rumor that a certain candidate is a Pastafarian, though s/he's campaign adamantly denies this, and insist that they've been a respectable non-attending organized religion member for many years. :D

I recently left the LDS church (maybe 3 months ago). I think I have found a new church - it's called Disciples of Christ (same as Christian Church). I have been attending for several weeks and feel very comfortable with the beliefs, and how welcoming and open the church is.

I think it is also known as the "Church of Christ" and was originally started by Alexander Campbell. Sometimes also called the Campbellites. Campbell was evidently a pretty firey preacher. He is reported to have preached a number of untrue and slanderous sermons against Joseph Smith.

I am RLDS. And look! RLDS has 100% of the votes right now. B) :P

Jenda,

You count yourself as RLDS. A couple of years ago the RLDS Church broke up, the majority forming into a new organization called The Community of Christ. Not everyone changed over and some of the more isolated RLDS congregations choose to retain their RLDS status.

I was just wondering if you were part of one of the smaller RLDS groups who did not go with the larger part of the RLDS congregations who changed their name to the Community of Christ?

I think it is also known as the "Church of Christ" and was originally started by Alexander Campbell. Sometimes also called the Campbellites. Campbell was evidently a pretty firey preacher. He is reported to have preached a number of untrue and slanderous sermons against Joseph Smith.

Old Tex,

Coming from the same family of churches there is some difference. Disciples of Christ and Church of Christ splitt officially in 1906. DoC are liberal and ecumenical, CoC are conservative and non-ecumenical. (Aussie CoC are moderate and ecumenical)

Alexander Campbell has to be put into context, I think he viewed Joseph Smith much as today's LDS view the current leader of the FLDS. He was personally close to Sidney Rigdon and felt very betrayed by his conversion. People from the "restoration movement" that he was one of the leaders of formed probably the most fertile ground for LDS recruitment. Former "Disciples" account for the second highest number of the early LDS apostles (eg Rigdon, Pratt brothers, Eliza Snow), a percentage quite out of proportion to their numbers.

I have read Campbell's review of the BoM, he was the first non-LDS person to do so, he was scathing but not IMHO as unfactual as some anti-mormon critics today. Later he and JS developed a very adverserial relationship, they both at times but the boot into each other. In some ways he could be seen as the harbinger of a number of LDS doctrines and practices. Believers baptism for remission of sins, restoration of a true church, weekly communion as the central part of the service, LDS grace/works beliefs, rejection of the historical creeds. JS initally named the LDS, the Church of Christ and the conversion of most of Rigdon's former "Disicples" congregation was a major development in early Mormonism.

Here's a quote...."Was there ever such a craft as priestcraft? No, it is the craftiest of all crafts! It is so crafty that it obtains by its craft the means to make craftsmen, and then it makes the deluded support them!" I had never heard the phrase "priestcraft" until I came to this forum, and that quote sounds like something some of the LDS posters here would say but it's Campbell from 1823.

Edited by AnthonyB

I am investigating the LDS Church. I was going to the Church of the Nazarene which was a good Church. Upon seeking membership I found out that due to my Fraternal affiliation, I could not become a member of the Church. Dissapointed me, but I was not going to stop my affiliation, I thought that would be cowardice.