Protection during times of social unrest

ComeComeYeSaints

During Katrina and Rodney King Riots I have often wondered what I would do in those

situations to protect my loved ones from people who wish to do them harm.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where everybody would join hands and sing

Kumbaya in times of distress, but unfortunately in the real world it becomes a dog eat

dog world with murder, assault, rape, and robbery.

I already know that one person on this board has tried to do a gun thread as a means of

preparedness but that thread was quickly closed.

I have always included firearms as a part of preparedness.

For the other Saints who do not believe in firearms, I am curious as to other means of

self-defense you might use in situations of total un-rest, or have you ever given any thought to it?

To those Saints who do have firearms as a means of self defense what do you use and what would you suggest to other people.

For me, I would like to say that I'd pack up my horses and head into the hills, but I know that that is not entirely practical. I understand peoples feelings about guns but I agree with you how do you protect yourself and family from people who just don't care!!!

Laws are for those who are lawful, but the criminal element will never follow the laws if they KNOW they can run roughshod over the law keepers!!

An understanding of self defence is necessary. My Dad was murdered by robbers leaving his 25 year old wife a widow with three children. I don't think he saw his killers coming, but his death is a reminder for us to be prepared.

I carry a loaded gun and an extra clip everywhere I go. I wouldn't exhort anyone to do so if they felt uncertain about the responsibility and hazards associated with it. If it were up to me, there would not be a single federal restriction on gun ownership or carrying. Individuals should be allowed to make their own decisions. For the record, our Church leadership does use armed gaurds. I own many guns.

Life insurance is something we need to be thinking long and hard about.

Avoiding debt will also help a family suffering from the effects of some violent death in the family. It would add much tragedy to the tale if the widow loses the house and the car because of the loss of the husband.

Avoiding displays of wealth is a good way to prevent robbery attempts. Regardless of what we may or may not have, looking like a million bucks can not only attract admirers, but it can attract admirers of your posessions willing to do you harm in obtaining them from you. Flashing a big wad in public is to be avoided. Keep the car empty. Items of value behind nothing but glass look good to thieves. A friend of mine with a car full of trash found his windows broken out by thieves who searched the interior only to discover that nothing of value was among all the junk, he keeps the car clean now.

Modesty can be important in protecting women from male attackers. Young women especially need to be mindful that showing off can attract unwanted admirers. Let us not become paranoid on this issue, our ladies should be attractive and should not live in fear, but following the prophets will bring safety.

Safety in numbers should be a matter of practice. Family members should always be courteous in letting each other know of their whereabouts. We should plan ahead to avoid situations where we can be found alone and vulnerable.

Alarm systems and security cameras can be helpful and in many places these items decrease insurance rates. However, they can be expensive at times.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. And, we should not fear man more than God. If you are afraid of guns, go take some classes. In my state, they are FREE. They even have FREE female only gun courses provided by the state. It is actually very fun, very safe, and even if you don't carry or own a gun, you could end up needing to know how to use one in a state of emergency some day.

-a-train

I've owned a gun off and on for over a decade, and I've had a conceal-carry permit from two states, and carried legally in five states.

When thinking along the lines of protecting your home, here's my list of priorities:

1) Lighting

2) Fence

3) A dog

4) Gun

The first three make every other house in the neighborhood more attractive than yours. The last two are for when that doesn't deter a bad guy.

A gun is not a magic talisman that wards off evil by its mere presence. You shouldn't have one unless you know how to use it, and spend some time preparing yourself to do just that. There are stories about how bad guys take someone's gun away and use it on them - if you don't know how you're going to avoid ending up having a similar story, maybe a gun is not for you. When a bad situation is happening, you don't rise to the occasion, you fall back on the training and preparedness you've put into place.

LM

Guest Username-Removed

For me, I NEVER run my generator in those times. Its like saying, Im prepared come and get my stuff. :D

But if they do find me, I've got a shot gun. Yep I do! My bishop supports the idea and I make no apologies for it.

My stuff is mine until I give it away - and thats for me and the Lord to choose, nobody else. Until then, you can find me at

PO box 1234, SLC UT 84321 --- ^_^ or was that Provo?

Our bishop read us three letters last week.

The first was the "come on folks, stop falling for scams" letter. (I believe the exact words used were "Be wise")

The second was the latest attempt to squelch the "a hush will fall in heaven and people will bow to you when they hear you were on earth under Pres. Hinckley" rumor.

I don't remember what the third letter was, but it was something we'd heard before, and it didn't have anything to do with preparedness.

LM

For me, I NEVER run my generator in those times. Its like saying, Im prepared come and get my stuff. :D

But if they do find me, I've got a shot gun. Yep I do! My bishop supports the idea and I make no apologies for it.

My stuff is mine until I give it away - and thats for me and the Lord to choose, nobody else. Until then, you can find me at

I agree with you about having a firearm and using it. If someone were to ASK for assistance or food, I'd certainly offer it, it's the right thing to do. However, if someone came to forceably TAKE what I have (especially when it comes down to provisions I need to survive) then they are basically threatening my existence and if I shot them, it's self-defence.

Hidden

I agree with you about having a firearm and using it. If someone were to ASK for assistance or food, I'd certainly offer it, it's the right thing to do. However, if someone came to forceably TAKE what I have (especially when it comes down to provisions I need to survive) then they are basically threatening my existence and if I shot them, it's self-defence.

Our bishop read us three letters last week.

The first was the "come on folks, stop falling for scams" letter. (I believe the exact words used were "Be wise")

The second was the latest attempt to squelch the "a hush will fall in heaven and people will bow to you when they hear you were on earth under Pres. Hinckley" rumor.

I don't remember what the third letter was, but it was something we'd heard before, and it didn't have anything to do with preparedness.

LM

Second paragraph dated Feb 27.

Expect something on tithing soon.

Guest Username-Removed

Something will be read this week in all wards during Sacrament.

HEMI,

Nothing was read that had anything to do with Emergency Preparedness or anything on this thread.

Hmmmmm ..... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I'm not suggesting that everyone should have a gun. I've rendered aid as a EMT on people for 23 years that have been on the opposite end of a gun, (intended or unintended). A gun makes the playing field more equal, and it's the only thing that a criminal considers when the end of that barrel is pointed at his chest.

• 2 weeks later...

A gun makes the playing field more equal, and it's the only thing that a criminal considers when the end of that barrel is pointed at his chest.

I completely agree. I carry a gun most everywhere I go and keep several in my house. For those trying to figure out if or what they should do to protect themselves, I wrote a post covering the different kinds of weapons for home protection a while ago. I'm new here and it seems that posting the contents of it would be frowned on so I'll link to it. You can find it here: Some Help for First Time Gun Buyers | Geeks-N-Guns

• 1 month later...

I completely agree. I carry a gun most everywhere I go and keep several in my house. For those trying to figure out if or what they should do to protect themselves, I wrote a post covering the different kinds of weapons for home protection a while ago. I'm new here and it seems that posting the contents of it would be frowned on so I'll link to it. You can find it here: Some Help for First Time Gun Buyers | Geeks-N-Guns

However I would add, that if you do plan on using a gun for self defense, you better ask yourself if you are willing to use it in such a situation- if you don't think you can, it might be wiser to look into alternatives.