Protection during times of social unrest

ComeComeYeSaints

As a teenager I went to visit an uncle in Guatemala City; he had guns everywhere, and even a live hand grenade in the desk, and he was a buyer for the government, and imported military equipment. So, I was there playing with an Colt .45 Automatic Pistol, my cousin removed the Colt Magazine, so I could play with the gun, then I lay it down, and my other cousin put back the magazine with bullets. I started playing with the gun, and it went off into some boxes where there were new television sets. They never found the bullet, but it left a bad impression upon my mind, and I have never liked guns since then. I, learned the hard way how dangerous guns are around the house, especially with someone like me, for I even played with the live grenade. When my cousin saw me playing with the grenade, he went into shock for he said it was a live grenade.

Also I was living in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, we left just in time, before the causeway got washed away, and lived at Panama City Beach for years, but my sister went back to rebuild her home, because her house insurance insisted that she have to put the money into the house, since she only owed 40,000. She had to put about 300,000 into the house, and I can tell you that it was just awful for people making six figures, and have to go back and rebuild their homes, good people who had to rebuild of their homes after Katrina went through hell. I mean the ones who had to go back and rebuild their homes, it was a dangerous time, many lawless people were coming out at night searching to see what you had, many had to have guns to protect themselves. I don’t like guns, so I prefer to run for the mountains, and I don’t like living where you always have to evacuate during a hurricane.

Does anyone here think that St. George, Utah, is safer than Cedar City, or Parowan? I am thinking of moving next month, but not sure which of the three is better. Any information you can give me would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Sunwalker

I completely agree. I carry a gun most everywhere I go and keep several in my house. For those trying to figure out if or what they should do to protect themselves, I wrote a post covering the different kinds of weapons for home protection a while ago. I'm new here and it seems that posting the contents of it would be frowned on so I'll link to it. You can find it here: Some Help for First Time Gun Buyers | Geeks-N-Guns

That website continues to spread the unscientific "hollywood" shotgun myths.

1. Shot will magically be stopped by sheet rock.

Posted Image

That is the 4th wall. (2 1/2inch layers of sheet rock per wall spaced 10 feet apart) shot with 00buck. Anything capable of penetrating a badguy enough to stop them will penetrate sheet rock. Physics 101.

2.Secondly, one of the most recognizable and frightening sounds in the world is a shotgun caulking - especially if you don’t know where it’s coming from - psyops at its finest

"I have a gun", flipping on the light switch etc will activate the "fight or flight" responses just as well. In fact the fight or flight response and the "decision" on what to do will be made faster then the persons brain can compute what the sound was.

3. with the wider pattern that a shotgun provides, you have better odds in a heated fast moving situation of acquiring and hitting your target.

Posted Image

12 feet, Typical across the room distance you have a small spread

to "not have to aim" and get a spread the size of your hand

Posted Image

you need about 20 yards.

Posted Image

If your living room or bed room is that big, you need to fire your personal security staff for letting the bad guys into your mansion in the first place.

Not to mention the fact every time you need to open a door or turn the corner you take yourself out of shooting position. You can't shoot from the hip

I'm sorry you had a frightning experience with a loaded gun. It sounds like your cousin did'nt know that you hadent been around guns or taught about weapons. Your experience would scare anyone. A gun used properly could make all of the difference in leveling the playing field for you and your family, against a bad guy that will take what ever you have if given the chance. My grandchildren are taught from an early age to shoot and handle a gun. Its a great sport. Hope you will give guns a second look with someone that can teach you properly.