New Family Search program

darrel

Our Temple District is preparing to impliment the new family search program. I have been given access to it prior to the implimentation. You may have heard about it being implimented in various temple districts with Utah being the last to do it.

It really will save a lot of steps to getting names ready for temple work. It will also virtually eliminate duplication which has been a major problem in the past.

Members will be able to work their family lines to fill in missing information for Living and Dead and also merge duplicate names and information.

I really like it.:)

Darrel

It is truly a long needed blessing to have the ability to work directly on our family lines and input the missing information and correct errors. It will still require coordinating and confirming our input data but when we so it will be available to all registered members of our family line.

What temple district are you in? We are in Nevada Las Vegas and were scheduled to go on in February but have been set back several times.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just taken up a free 14 day trial at a UK based (although there is a US version of the site which shares my information) website called Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk I am having some difficulty with the search options as I can easily find some older relatives' details from census reports pre 1902 (1841/51/61/71/81/91 or 1901) but have difficulty finding birth/marriage/death details for anyone after this period, unless they were married from 1984 onward, or died from that year onward...

Sometimes I find the references for the documents such as marriage certs. and death certs. but it doesn't show the actual certificates, so gaining much information from them is difficult..eg. I can find details of my marriage, showing mine and my husband's names, but it doesn't give any other details such as in-laws names, our birth dates or anything like that. Does anyone know if we have to try to obtain birth certs. for people if we cannot gain that info from relatives?

Just how much detailed information is needed for ancestors, in order to have them fully prepared to submit to the Temple to see if work has been done for them already, or to do the work for them? Do the Family History centres have access to birth/marriage/death details that are normally not available via websites or without the documentation being sent off for?

Oh, Pushka, no, that is not the church program. That is a for profit company. You won't need a paid subscription for the NewFamilySearch software. You will need to register though.

Currently, unless your temple district is on line, or you are a registered Family History Consultant for your ward or branch, I don't think you can access NewFamilySearch yet.

The information on it will be what is on the current FamilySearch.org (the IGI, Pedigree Resource File, etc.) only it will be displayed in a family tree/pedigree chart format.

I discourage you from spending money on the Ancestry.com subscription. The UK has a tremendous Birth-Marriage-Death index that volunteers have put together, and it is FREE. ---> FreeBMD Home Page. You might also check your local library for advice on where to get copies of records for your family. They might have public records on microfilm right there.

added: Havejoy -- Have you been able to log on yet? - I was able to access it well before 72 hours had elapsed!

Oh, and Darrell, I am in Raleigh NC temple district. We are supposed to be on line "in April". Don't know if that means Tuesday!

Hi Alaska, thanks for the extra information regarding the Church based programmes for searching for family members. I haven't paid for the membership to ancestry.com, fortunately, although I have friends in my local ward who have paid £80 for a year's membership. They have found plenty of names, but I think they are finding the names from census reports rather than from Births/Marriage/Deaths records. Thanks for the tip to ask at the Library regarding access to these details, and for the homepage of the FreeBMD website. I have thought about approaching a local Roman Catholic Church which may have additional marriage records for some of my family members...

Tomorrow I may be going to the Family History Centre in Chorley, so hopefully they too will be able to advise me more clearly on how to search records without having to pay a fortune for it!!

I do enjoy searching for family members, but it has my head spinning lots of the time, lol :)

Over the weekend I went to my local Family History Center, and learned a bit about the new program that is coming. I'm not sure what I learned is accurate.

I had a family group sheet that I had printed from the IGI, that did not show any temple ordinances done for the wife other than sealing. I was going to arrange for the rest of the work.

I found the Temple Ready software and searched it, only to be told that the Temple Ready database they have is only local and it's 5 years old. They suggested I go buy PAF Insight from Ohana Software. I guess this software searches the IGI in a way that I can't even though I log in with my membership login.

So I'm supposed to run my Gedcom through their program (PAF Insight), then once I have done that, save it to a thumbdrive, take the thumdrive to the Family History Center where they will do something with it, then I take it to the Temple where they do a thing that results in little cards I can use to do the temple work.

They also told me that after the new program is available in Utah, I will still need this other program. ...

Anyone have any insight?

I can feel your frustration, Geek!

I had a family group sheet that I had printed from the IGI, that did not show any temple ordinances done for the wife other than sealing. I was going to arrange for the rest of the work.

Are you using PAF software, or are you working from paper only?

I found the Temple Ready software and searched it, only to be told that the Temple Ready database they have is only local and it's 5 years old. They suggested I go buy PAF Insight from Ohana Software. I guess this software searches the IGI in a way that I can't even though I log in with my membership login.

You can use Temple Ready, even though it is old. In fact, you HAVE to use it to prepare a disk/thumbdrive for the temple cards.

So I'm supposed to run my Gedcom through their program (PAF Insight), then once I have done that, save it to a thumbdrive, take the thumdrive to the Family History Center where they will do something with it, then I take it to the Temple where they do a thing that results in little cards I can use to do the temple work.

If you are only working on a small number of names, you do not have to use PAF Insight at all. You can sign in to the IGI at FamilySearch, and do your own search. I do suggest multiple searches - one with only a name and area (North America, etc), then only a name with a spouse name, then a name and a birth year, etc. Once you are SURE the work has not been done, then you can prepare a small file for the temple to use, on a disk or thumbdrive. Just export the 2 or 3 people from your PAF file that you want submit to the temple, and save them to a gedcom on a writeable disk or thumbdrive. Run the Temple Ready program using that small file. Then save an extra backup copy, and take it to the temple, where cards will be printed.

They also told me that after the new program is available in Utah, I will still need this other program. ...

No, you will not need PAF Insight after the new program is in use in your temple district.

Anyone have any insight?

I have a bit of insight, but no Insight. :P

Once the new program is online in your temple district, most of this maze of confusion will be eradicated!

If none of this makes sense to you, or if I can help you get your information ready to take to the temple, feel free to email or PM me! I love this stuff. . . .:)

My mom is a Family History Consultant... So I have got to see how the new programme works... I must say that I am really excited about it & really keen to get going on it... Would so solve a few of my family history issues... hehe

Let's just say that it hasn't been easy getting genalogy out of my family - both members & non-members...

Oh, and Pushka... Have you tried MyHeritage - Free Family Tree - Genealogy ? This one is very different to ancestry.com & it is mostly free - as in no subscription fee... I rather enjoy using that one...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just taken up a free 14 day trial at a UK based (although there is a US version of the site which shares my information) website called Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk I am having some difficulty with the search options as I can easily find some older relatives' details from census reports pre 1902 (1841/51/61/71/81/91 or 1901) but have difficulty finding birth/marriage/death details for anyone after this period, unless they were married from 1984 onward, or died from that year onward...

Sometimes I find the references for the documents such as marriage certs. and death certs. but it doesn't show the actual certificates, so gaining much information from them is difficult..eg. I can find details of my marriage, showing mine and my husband's names, but it doesn't give any other details such as in-laws names, our birth dates or anything like that. Does anyone know if we have to try to obtain birth certs. for people if we cannot gain that info from relatives?

Just how much detailed information is needed for ancestors, in order to have them fully prepared to submit to the Temple to see if work has been done for them already, or to do the work for them? Do the Family History centres have access to birth/marriage/death details that are normally not available via websites or without the documentation being sent off for?

I worked for Ancestry in the states for a while.........one reason for not finding newer census info could be that those documents are still held as private. The US holds census for 72 yrs to protect privacy. And finding actual certificates (birth, death, marriage etc) costs money. You have to order them from the county or registration office. The same holds true in the US. Finding out what county someone is from can be the basis of the hunt in many cases. Another big reason could be that Ancestry hasn't been able to purchase the information you are seeking. All the records on their site are bought from that country, and not all documents are sold. As I see the New Family Search taking form, I am so excited...one day it will surpass the amount of information Ancestry has, but not yet. Ancestry is the largest genealogy source online, but by no means the only one.

One site I really like for a lot of genealogy website listings is About Genealogy - Learn How to Research Your Family Tree.

Hope this helps a little.

SusieSA and SundaeSarah, thanks very much for the extra website links you provided. I will check them out asap!

I've been told that the UK keeps Census reports private for around 100 years, so obviously that source is not going to be of much use for me for aunties/uncles/cousins etc. born in the 1900's, but I will try my best to keep searching on the other sites available, and to keep checking out others' trees on GenesReunited..I've managed to trace family relations on my mother's father's side of the family back to 1776, but obviously I don't have all the birthdates for those people, mainly just their year of birth or circa year of birth..

Thanks for all the help everybody! :)

Is there a webpage I can go to to read more about this? Yesterday our HC rep came and talked about this (we are going to implement it very soon here in Western NY), and I never got a chance to follow up with him on website info, etc. He mentioned that he was helping to input names from the microfiche and other data, and that it was easy to sign up to do it (apparently, you get a file with some names on the pdf, and you input the names in a spreadsheet below and send it back. This will help people find records via the internet without having to order any files).

It sounds very easy to use, and I'm excited to see it.

Thanks.

Is there a webpage I can go to to read more about this? Yesterday our HC rep came and talked about this (we are going to implement it very soon here in Western NY), and I never got a chance to follow up with him on website info, etc. He mentioned that he was helping to input names from the microfiche and other data, and that it was easy to sign up to do it (apparently, you get a file with some names on the pdf, and you input the names in a spreadsheet below and send it back. This will help people find records via the internet without having to order any files).

It sounds very easy to use, and I'm excited to see it.

Thanks.

Six, sounds like he is talking about the Indexing program: FamilySearch Indexing: Preserving Our Heritage

This is a separate project from the new FamilySearch program, which is a collection of family tree/records/genealogies.

Indexing is providing a source for researching existing records that have been microfilmed and digitized - in essence, providing an alternative and eventual replacement to ordering microfilms from SLC to your local Family History Center.

If you have 20 to 30 minutes to spare a day or every other day, why not give it a go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We got the email yesterday to say new fs will be going live in our temple distriict (Preston) in 4 months time. I haven't yet been onto the site to have a look, though.

I've been researching my genealogy seriously for 30 years (actually I started aged 8, but that's another story) and at Christmas my kids bought me an ancestry subecription. it has been amazing, I have to say, I have found so much through searching the census records, although I was deeply cynical at first.

beware genes reunited though. I know some who have had great results with it, but others on it on my lines are peddling trees I was working on many years ago which seem to have been passed from pillar to post ever since- and I know now contain many errors. However no-one seems to be bothered about that, just how many names they can get and how far back they can go.

• 2 months later...