The Passion of the Christ

skalenfehl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one Jewish rabbi's take on Mel Gibson, and the Passion: Lifecodex - 08.01.2006 Mel Gibson and Me

Those are quite good comments. The fact is, as many posters here have also said, regardless of Gibson's outbursts, he's done much good. I defer to majority opinion in this case. He's an exceptional actor and movie-maker, no one can dispute that. If the movie moved millions to more faith, and a better understanding of the atonement of Christ, and no anti-Semitic incidents resulted from it - then all power to Gibson's movie.

I like movies to be as factual as possible IF they claim to be based on actual history, and my understanding is that this is the claim that was made (I do believe I read that), and the subtitles were in Aramaic to give this impression of dead accuracy. On that count the movie failed.

I like movies to be as factual as possible IF they claim to be based on actual history, and my understanding is that this is the claim that was made (I do believe I read that), and the subtitles were in Aramaic to give this impression of dead accuracy. On that count the movie failed.

I'm not sure what the historical errors were. Gibson based his movie on the gospels and on a writing by a nun. Like most historic dramas, there is a blend of fact, speculation, and "artistic license." The Passion is historic in genre, but it's not a documentary.

I'm not sure what the historical errors were. Gibson based his movie on the gospels and on a writing by a nun. Like most historic dramas, there is a blend of fact, speculation, and "artistic license." The Passion is historic in genre, but it's not a documentary.

Here is a link worth reading, and it will give you a better idea about why the movie generated so much discussion and controversy:

Mel Gibson Movie Passion of Christ

Here is a link worth reading, and it will give you a better idea about why the movie generated so much discussion and controversy:

Mel Gibson Movie Passion of Christ

It does not surprise me in the least that a fundamentalist Baptist would hate the Passion of the Christ. It does have Catholic influences in it. Fundamentalists do not beleive in associating with heretic Christians--and they definitely consider Catholics to be such. Therefore, they will label any Catholic element as "historically inaccurate." Further, my guess is that the same folks who lambasted this movie (from that site) would not have kind things to say about the LDS faith.

I was surprised by the charge that the Passion is historically inaccurate, because that is not the common complaint. Rather, it is the alleged anti-Semetism, and the inclusion of some Catholic ideas, and the lack of focus on the ressurection. IMHO, the first complaint is bogus, the 2nd is real--but does not detract from the movie's value, and the third is a criticism of what the movie is not, rather than what it is. You want a movie on the resurrection, make one--don't blame Gibson because he chose to do one on the passion--the suffering.

BTW, forgive me if I sound strident about this film. It is not Scripture, it is not any church's official teaching, and it is not perfect. However, I found it a powerful, anointed gift.

Maybe not made the people so angry and perhaps thrown in a song and dance number, like Look on the Bright Side of Life. :)

Its actually from Life of Brian but I grew up with that song I love it lol thanks though I am now listening to Monty Python songs I can't think of a nicer way to wind down before bed:)

-Charley

It does not surprise me in the least that a fundamentalist Baptist would hate the Passion of the Christ. It does have Catholic influences in it. Fundamentalists do not beleive in associating with heretic Christians--and they definitely consider Catholics to be such. Therefore, they will label any Catholic element as "historically inaccurate." Further, my guess is that the same folks who lambasted this movie (from that site) would not have kind things to say about the LDS faith.

The point here is not what a fundamentalist Baptist "would say", the point is whether the film is historically inaccurate. You'll have to forgive me for constantly giving links, because there are so many criticisms of the film, and not just from those with an antipathy to Catholics. This reviewer (yes, he's a Christian too) actually begins by defending Gibson:

Nearly all of the criticism of this movie from within some Christian circles centres around one fact: Mel Gibson is a Catholic (as is the lead actor, Jim Caviezel).

Then goes on to write:

Because my view of the movie is pretty high, I'm going to start by getting any negative comments out of the way first. Firstly, this film contains a small amount of information about historical events that is dubious, because it comes from dubious sources. Now, some people of course will think that the New Testament itself is dubious, but I do not. Like all Christians, I am persuaded that the New Testament accounts of the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus are true. The content of the other books that the film draws on however, takes away from the power of the film. Firstly, there is no need to exaggerate what happened to Jesus. It is already bad enough, and to make it worse could in fact have a detrimental effect on the way the message is received. One might respond by saying "nobody could endure all of that and live right up until the crucifixion was done." And maybe they would be right. It is quite possible that the additional torture and violence portrayed in the film would have killed Jesus before the crucifixion. Another might respond by saying, "well the movie just goes to show, Christians will change the historical facts to suit their position, why should we believe that the New Testament writers didn’t do the same thing?" Now, I don't think that would be a very good reason not to believe the Gospels at all, but why throw in extra hindrances to the message? If Gibson or anyone else thinks that including more terrible details about Jesus' suffering the movie might tweak the heartstrings enough to make some people cave in and believe in Christ, they are dead wrong. The message of the cross, says the Apostle Paul, is not enticing to unbelievers, or somehow a way of getting a foot in the door by being emotionally moving. On the contrary, he says: "the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18). There's no need to bend the story to win converts. The Gospel will win converts by the power of God's Spirit as he draws people to Himself (Romans 1:16; Acts 13:48). People who won't accept the Gospel certainly aren't going to accept it because of a few more bruises.

http://www.afterlife.co.nz/articles_and_reviews/passion_review.html

I was surprised by the charge that the Passion is historically inaccurate, because that is not the common complaint. Rather, it is the alleged anti-Semetism, and the inclusion of some Catholic ideas, and the lack of focus on the ressurection. IMHO, the first complaint is bogus, the 2nd is real--but does not detract from the movie's value, and the third is a criticism of what the movie is not, rather than what it is. You want a movie on the resurrection, make one--don't blame Gibson because he chose to do one on the passion--the suffering.

The criticism about historical inaccuracy has been there from the start. If a Mormon film maker made a movie about Christ's appearance in the Americas, how do you think the public will receive that? When Gibson makes a movie with "strong Catholic influences" no one complains (except the critics and movie reviewers), maybe because there are only 13 million Mormons, but 1 billion Catholics? Maybe you don't see any comparison. Or what would the public response be if a Mormon movie-maker highlighted the suffering in Gethsemane, but not the cross? Weird, some would say, because the popular belief is that Christ's main suffering was on the cross, not in Gethsemane. That is not what Mormons believe.

BTW, forgive me if I sound strident about this film. It is not Scripture, it is not any church's official teaching, and it is not perfect. However, I found it a powerful, anointed gift.

And I've already said I have no objection to that - the purely emotional feelings. I found Jesus Christ Superstar very moving, but maybe it's because I like Andrew Lloyd Webber's music, and think he's a musical genius.

Guest Lexish

I recently visited Germany and was told that The Passion of the Christ movie was based on a traditional play in Oberammergau Germany. It has been performed there since 1643 and is called The Passion Play.

Just f.y.i. It's interesting. Plus it doesn't make Mel Gibson look quite as radical.

When we subject ourselves to "R" rated material, the influence may not be immediately felt, but it opens a door to the adversary. Then he can know where to hit you with his "fiery darts."

I would caution everyone to not rely only on what a movie is rated to determine if it is acceptable material to view or not. Most movies produced nowadays are not even worth watching. There are many movies that have material no good Latter-Day Saint should be watching.

I have not found any Satanic influences in The Passion of the Christ. I do not think it is acceptable material for a child to watch, but I don't think watching it pushes the influence of the Holy Spirit out of your life. I think it is up to the individual to pray and decide whether or not they should watch it.

Oh yes let's let a Church decide what we can watch. It would not be good to use our own judgment.

I don't think anyone argued that, Kona, if so, I stand corrected.

You guys argue way to much about stupid topics.

Maybe that's because it's a discussion board, and we don't have a life :lol:

Anyone hear that the Iranians have produced a film about the life of Christ similar to "The Passion"? It looks interesting -- you can have the choice of endings, one follows the Islamic view of Jesus in that God tricks the crowd and they crucify one of their own thinking they are killing Jesus (while God takes Jesus into Heaven directly), while the other ending shows the Christian view.

Posted Image

ABC News: Story of Jesus Through Iranian Eyes

Anyone hear that the Iranians have produced a film about the life of Christ similar to "The Passion"? It looks interesting -- you can have the choice of endings, one follows the Islamic view of Jesus in that God tricks the crowd and they crucify one of their own thinking they are killing Jesus (while God takes Jesus into Heaven directly), while the other ending shows the Christian view.

Sounds almost like going through Maccas and choosing which meal you want.

I like the MacUniversal Meal. No religious divisions or hatred. Just a common love of humanity, in all its various expressions. A world where we can live in peace without divisive dogma. Where we appreciate suffering and toil without giving favour to those who "think like us".

I recently visited Germany and was told that The Passihon of the Christ movie was based on a traditional play in Oberammergau Germany. It has been performed there since 1643 and is called The Passion Play.

Just f.y.i. It's interesting. Plus it doesn't make Mel Gibson look quite as radical.

Oh I am so jelous I have wanted to go that for years we watched on TV last time it was on - next time I want to take my kids.

-Charley

I can't watch it. I have heard a lot of people who felt strongly about it. And I appreciate that. I just can't bring myself to carry those images in my mind. I watched Saving Private Ryan on network television one night. Somebody told me how great it was.... and I hate myself for watching it. It was too powerful. Now I hate war even more...if that is possible. My feelings are too sensitive when it comes to Christ. I will just have to rely on my current knowledge and testimony.

Can anybody explain to me please what there was in the film which is specifically Catholic and not acceptable to other denominations?

Why don't we let the Catholics do that themselves? Here's an interesting perspective: The Passion of the Christ - Understanding the Catholic Meaning

I watched it once. We were invited to see it with a co-worker of my husbands, their church had rented out the entire theater and we were their 'guests'. I guess they were trying to 'fellowship' us. We went to dinner afterward and they wanted to know what we thought about the movie. I was visibly affected by the film so they were anxious to discuss. We started talking about the Atonement of Christ and about the movie... I got choked up all over again speaking... my husband got very doctrinal quoting scripture from the top of his head and they sat there with their mouths hanging open. Then they told us we aren't very good Mormons because we know and understood too much about Jesus Christ. I guess they thought they were going to teach us something about Christ by taking us to that film and instead learned that Mormons understand very well the life and purpose... the suffering and gifts that come from Jesus Christ. Interesting experience I gotta say. About the film.. it was so graphic... I was curled up in a ball on the theater seat... I wanted it to end. It was very hard to watch and I believe it was a fairly accurate depiction and portrayal of the emotion, and drama that surrounded the most incredible occurence in the history of the world.

Rebky's response is so perfect, imho. Maybe she did not need to see it. But she did, and she allowed it to impact her for what it was, rather than scrutizing it for what it supposedly should be. Additionally, she communicated with her friends in a way that allowed them to share common spiritual ground, rather than widening the divides.

I have no condemnation, nor even criticism for those who do not watch the film because of its rating. However, Rebky's choices and reactions seem spiritually choice and golden, in my humble estimation.

• 5 months later...

I didn't see it, my son saw it and he said it was hard to watch. I have a hard time watching the old biblical movies where Christ is crucified. I know I couldn't watch "The passion of Christ". I would probably get physically ill from bering upset and I'd cry for a long time.