What are your guidelines for purchasing modest clothing?

RachelleDrew

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Wonderer,

Thank you for your words of wisdom,

The next day after my post I went to the store and bought some stockings to wear to work for the next day. My boss Anne, called me into her office to remind me of the company dress code for female employees.

She told me what was expected of me and then told me that it was nice to see me wearing stockings to work and to keep it up. I was then told what a great job that I am doing and that I will see a increase in pay on my next check.

What's next see through skirts and a promotion?

I will keep you posted,

Leeann

I'm confused. Aren't stockings generally considered professional wear for women? I don't understand what would be immodest about them, or what you were wearing before. Tights, perhaps?

Guest Leeanntheonetwo

I'm confused. Aren't stockings generally considered professional wear for women? I don't understand what would be immodest about them, or what you were wearing before. Tights, perhaps?

Hey Traela,

Yes, stockings are generally considered professional wear for women. For me wearing stockings has nothing to do with being immodest. I simply feel unconfortable wearing them. At the end of the day I can't wait to take them off. I am sure that I am not just speaking for myself here.

Leeann

Hey Traela,

Yes, stockings are generally considered professional wear for women. For me wearing stockings has nothing to do with being immodest. I simply feel unconfortable wearing them. At the end of the day I can't wait to take them off. I am sure that I am not just speaking for myself here.

Leeann

entirely with you on this one - tights and makeup are plain uncomfy and icould hapilly live without em

-Charley

I haven't come across the head, shoulders, knees and toes thingy..that's brilliant, I'll be using that one : ) . The knees one I already know well : ) (old school uniform check/kneel and see if your hem touches the ground).

I loathe stockings. This is probably the effect of wearing them as part of a school uniform. Tip: It's good to keep a spare pair on hand for ladders and snags and some stocking fix in your purse. (I think you can probably buy little bottles of stuff to halt ladders in your part of the world/clear nail polish was the old-fashioned way).

my wife and i were talking about how difficult it is to buy clothes for our 5 yr old...well almost 5. most of the pants for even little kids are now the low rise in fashion...it disgusts me. i hate to walk up behind a gal as she bends over and have to see her thong out the top of her pants, and i dont like it on my 5 yr old either.

and to the powers that be on this board, it tends to be annoying that i get logged out while reading threads and have to log in again because i tried to post and wasn't loggen in suddenly

A suggestion -- invest in a sewing machine and fabric instead of ready-made clothes. And tell your local retailer that you won't be buying the products they have in their store because their children's clothing is not acceptable to you. If people don't buy the stuff, they will eventually stop carrying it.

Guest Leeanntheonetwo

my wife and i were talking about how difficult it is to buy clothes for our 5 yr old...well almost 5. most of the pants for even little kids are now the low rise in fashion...it disgusts me. i hate to walk up behind a gal as she bends over and have to see her thong out the top of her pants, and i dont like it on my 5 yr old either.

and to the powers that be on this board, it tends to be annoying that i get logged out while reading threads and have to log in again because i tried to post and wasn't loggen in suddenly

I think that there is a good reason for that, in my opinion.

Leeann

Even Wal-Mart carries straight up NASTY clothing for little girls. My dad is quite lenient, but even he would have died if he had seen me in some of the stuff they are passing off as "clothing" for children.

My guy and I are glad our first child is a boy. Lol, so we can push off the fun that comes with clothing a girl. I'm giggling at the thought of the first time hearing "but MOM, everyone else is wearing this! Why can't I???"

Guest Leeanntheonetwo

Sorry, I did it again. I have had a x friend break into my email account so I made it much harder to get into. Long story short, I forgot my password. Dumb me.

So here is my new email address,

[email protected]

One thing that I think is must-have is a long white tank top that you can wear under a shirt that might have a neckline that goes to low and is also long enough to add length any shirt that is too short. I have a couple of these and I wear them all the time. This way, I didn't have to throw out all my shirts that were too short or too low after I got endowed. I highly recommend that.

When I shop, I go to all the regular stores and just look for things that will cover my garments. That head, knees, and toes thing is important. I hate it when I bend over and my garment top pops out. But that's also where the long undershirt comes in...it's so handy.

LOL Why the hatred of make-up and tights?? I have an entire drawer full of make-up and feel a million times better with make-up on. I dont have a problem with tights although stockings??? I didnt think people wore them any more.

Layering-racheldrew was wondering about summer clothes-How you can you wear three layers of clothes plus garments in the summer??? Thats pure misery. Is there not a way around that to keep cool? Im praying we have a good summer as last year was so bad I wore my coat the entire year round. The year before that I was still wearing my garments to a point. But this year I wont be and Im looking forward to all the sundresses ( IF the English weather holds!!!). Roll on a hot summer!!!!

Guest Leeanntheone2

Mr. Nice guy, please tell me that you didn’t know that this is a women’s forum. For women only!

Your loving sister,

leeann

Guest Leeanntheone2

I thought Relief Society& women’s issues meant Relief Society & Women’s Issues.

Maybe we should change the thread to: WOMEN’S ISSUES, WITH MEN’S PERSPECTIVES ADDED.

Written with great respect and love for Charlie,

Leeann ;)

its not been a huge concern for me lol - just like the men haven't complained about Sisters or the Youth when older people post on the Youth and Seminary if you have a problem suggest it to Heather and she will deal with it.

Personally I have always found it funny when men sneak into Relief Society its done a lot less now but there was a period when I remember Priesthood Holders always seemed to find an excuse... maybe priesthood lessons have got more fun lol

I also think it does husbands good to read forums like this gives them a better perspective on what their wives are thinking and doing.

-Charley

Guest Leeanntheone2

Sorry Charley, you are right. I just love your point of view. I think maybe I just need to break out of my female religious box. I do apologize also to Mr. Nice guy too.

Love,

Leeann

i'd wait and hear other views I suspect we are at opposite ends of the spectrum, my best friend is a man and the one I gossip with and have lunch with lol I have no hang ups with who I am and I know I get accused of flirting because I treat men the same way I would treat a woman and speak to them in the same way. Just because it doesn't bother me doesn't mean it shouldn't and it bothers you so thats important. I am sorry if my post sounded belittling it wasn't meant to it was more trying to explain what has always happened. Like Mark Twain said (paraphrasing) - When you find yourself on the side of the majority its time to stop and think. And maybe it would be better if this area of the forum is where Sisters could ask about the value of a Diva/Moon Cup without feeling they were being watched:)

Like I say to my Mum if she wanted feminine and elegant she shouldn't have called me a name that means Little Man or Little Free Man/Woman

-Charley

Sorry Charley, you are right. I just love your point of view. I think maybe I just need to break out of my female religious box. I do apologize also to Mr. Nice guy too.

Love,

Leeann

apology accepted...things discussed here i can pass to my daughter. alth she is not yet 5 i will certainly teach her the head shoulders knees toes tip when appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leeanntheonetwo

LOL Why the hatred of make-up and tights?? I have an entire drawer full of make-up and feel a million times better with make-up on. I dont have a problem with tights although stockings??? I didnt think people wore them any more.

Layering-racheldrew was wondering about summer clothes-How you can you wear three layers of clothes plus garments in the summer??? Thats pure misery. Is there not a way around that to keep cool? Im praying we have a good summer as last year was so bad I wore my coat the entire year round. The year before that I was still wearing my garments to a point. But this year I wont be and Im looking forward to all the sundresses ( IF the English weather holds!!!). Roll on a hot summer!!!!

Lol, In the USA we sometimes call stockings pantyhose and pantyhose stockings, they are interchangeable. I think maybe you were referring to me when you said why the hatred for make-up and tights. I do not hate pantyhose or make-up. I like the way I look with make-up on, I just don’t like to be told that it’s part of my job description. And the same goes for pantyhose. I am a very simple woman who up until just recently has wore hose and dresses only on occasion, like when I go to church. I am just saying I wear skirts six days a week now because I have to and I don’t like it all that much. That’s all.;)

Leeann

LOL leanne it wasnt just you, there were a few ladies on here who mentioned they dont wear make-up-each to their own of course! Im not the sort of person who has to have a full face on to step out the front door to take the rubbish out, but I do love to wear make-up, and the thought of life without it was making me break out into a cold sweat!!! lol