What are your guidelines for purchasing modest clothing?

RachelleDrew

What this forum has made me recognize is that it appears we are not providing adequate information in the young women's programs for young women to recognize what going to the temple is all about. In addition, it sounds like we are neglecting to help them build an identity centered on the fact that they are daughters of God. They recite a Young Women's theme weekly but do they believe it? Are we missing the mark? I know I felt like these young women did, I went to the temple out of obedience and I really didn't understand all the covenants and promises. It has come with time. Had I been more prepared, I think I would have felt so much more confident and prepared! I also really didn't understand the garments and it took a few times talking to other sisters and going through the initiatory part of the temple to really start to "get it".

Lee Anne, I hope I did not offend you or make you feel bad. Life is a learning experience. Making mistakes is part of the journey, not the end of it. We have each other to learn from and the Lord expected us to struggle with certain things. It sounds like you are open to learning and trying new ways and that will be a huge benefit to you. Wishing you all the best!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Leeanntheonetwo

What this forum has made me recognize is that it appears we are not providing adequate information in the young women's programs for young women to recognize what going to the temple is all about.

You are right, we need a more in depth young women's program to help us to understand the truth about going to the temple.

In addition, it sounds like we are neglecting to help them build an identity centered on the fact that they are daughters of God. They recite a Young Women's theme weekly but do they believe it? Are we missing the mark?

This is also true, I recite the young women's theme and yet I still don't think I believe what I am reciting. Help!

I know I felt like these young women did, I went to the temple out of obedience and I really didn't understand all the covenants and promises. It has come with time. Had I been more prepared, I think I would have felt so much more confident and prepared!

Exactly, more time to understand so that we can properly prepare.

I also really didn't understand the garments and it took a few times talking to other sisters and going through the initiatory part of the temple to really start to "get it".

I still don't quite understand the garments. I guess that is why I have not taken wearing them more seriously. One of the girls who posted in this thread really helped me. She said what is a little more material over the shoulders and the legs going to matter. She was right. Today I am wearing my garments and it is not that bad. I must say it felt a little weird putting them on after a long time of them hanging in my closet.

Lee Anne, I hope I did not offend you or make you feel bad. Life is a learning experience. Making mistakes is part of the journey, not the end of it. We have each other to learn from and the Lord expected us to struggle with certain things. It sounds like you are open to learning and trying new ways and that will be a huge benefit to you. Wishing you all the best!

Oh Busy Mom you haven't offended me, you are helping me to understand my place as a daughter of God. I am feeling so much better about myself because of you and the others who are willing to counsel me. I am so grateful for the advice that I have received, I feel like a new women, like a heavy weight has been lifted off me.

The only question that remains is what are we going to do about all the other girls who like my self didn't understand and still don't understand everything. Something has to be put in place or these girls when they start family's of their own are going to miss something. And everything they miss they will pass down to their daughters.

I am still hoping for a women's only category. I need someone I can feel comfortable with when I talk about these type of things. I have always felt closer connection to a sister. I find that I can be more open and honest about who I am and where I am at. There must be others just like me who feel the same way I do.

I feel that I have grown more in my faith on this forum then anywhere. As you say Busy Mom, we have much to learn from each other. I look forward to learning more from my sisters just like you Busy Mom.

Busy Mom, you have hit me spot on in your observations. I think you are on to something very big when you say we have a problem with teaching our young women. The problem is not just me and that's nice to know.

Much love,

Your sister,

Leeann

Edited by Leeanntheonetwo

What this forum has made me recognize is that it appears we are not providing adequate information in the young women's programs for young women to recognize what going to the temple is all about. In addition, it sounds like we are neglecting to help them build an identity centered on the fact that they are daughters of God. They recite a Young Women's theme weekly but do they believe it? Are we missing the mark? I know I felt like these young women did, I went to the temple out of obedience and I really didn't understand all the covenants and promises. It has come with time. Had I been more prepared, I think I would have felt so much more confident and prepared! I also really didn't understand the garments and it took a few times talking to other sisters and going through the initiatory part of the temple to really start to "get it".

I agree with BussyMom. With no intent to hurt or criticize, I would also like to point out that we must teach our young girls how to dress since a very early age. I have 4 girls (do not tease me about the drama in my house...hehehehe) and since they were born they have always dressed the way they will dress when they marry at the temple. My oldest is 11 and she understand perfectly why we do this. My wife is a young 32 and quite hot I might add, but she has dressed modernly but modestly since becoming a member of the church. My girls all know what garments look like and they know that although others may dress as they wish, that is not the way WE dress. On the appointed day, I hope that they will go to the temple to receive their covenants and it is going to be second nature to slip into the garment of the priesthood. I have seen some of my friends' daughters marry and make this transition without a glitch.

I suggested talking to the sisters at the temple. It may be a good place to start also. I would go for the "younger" ones since it may be easier to empathize and relate to on these issues.:)

Edited by Islander

Maybe she cant remember. I certainly cant. I keep being told I made all these covenants and promised to do this that and the other-As far as I know I never did anything like that I just went and did what I was told. It was so long ago now tho that I cant remember. In fact its 3 years a week today!!

Aphrodite,

I just had a thought!!! you know that we made covenants to wear our garments as a protection to us right.

Well it really is such a simple request isn't it?:D We should not have any problems with it.

I am very happy to do this small task with no complaints than be asked to sacrifice my child or to give up all of my family or my worldly things.

If we can't do such a small request of our father than how do you or I expect to be able to complete the really hard tests. Doing these simple things really prepares us for the hard trials to come. That is why Our Father in Heaven asks us to follow his comandments. Doing the simple things the Lord has asked of me has helped me to understand some of the trials that I have been through. (Like the loss of my son, and helping to take cre of my now physically and mentally handicapped father.) Remember we are all here for each other. I hope you are not offended by this I really do not wish to offend anyone.

:DThank you for all of your comments

Edited by kishtakaye

Guest Leeanntheonetwo

Aphrodite,

I just had a thought!!! you know that we made covenants to wear our garments as a protection to us right.

Well it really is such a simple request isn't it?:D We should not have any problems with it.

I am very happy to do this small task with no complaints than be asked to sacrifice my child or to give up all of my family or my worldly things.

If we can't do such a small request of our father than how do you or I expect to be able to complete the really hard tests. Doing these simple things really prepares us for the hard trials to come. That is why Our Father in Heaven asks us to follow his comandments. Doing the simple things the Lord has asked of me has helped me to understand some of the trials that I have been through. (Like the loss of my son, and helping to take cre of my now physically and mentally handicapped father.) Remember we are all here for each other. I hope you are not offended by this I really do not wish to offend anyone.

:Thank you for all of your comments

Ok Aphrodite, it's your turn.

Our sisters helped me. I encourage you to listen to our dear sister Kishtakaya's testimony.

I am wearing my garments for the first time in a long time and I have a great peace about it. It's is a small sacrifice to have peace within. Deep down inside you know it's the right thing to do just like I knew. Just do what I have done.

Try going to work with your garments on even if you don't want too. See if you don't feel the difference. It's a little hotter but it's worth it.

PS. Please let me know if you feel any thing different.

Your loving sister,

Leeann

altho this thread is in the relief society forum group it shows under new posts to everyone. when i read thread titles under new posts, if the title interest me i read the thread without paying attention to what forum it is under.

modest clothing is NOT a women only issue. men should be concerned about their own modest clothing, too. also, as i previously posted, i have a daughter who just turned 5 yesterday. i am very frustrated by lack of modest clothing for a 5 yr old girl. the pants they are making for them are the lowrider style that teen girls like.

how would this not be a legitemate concern to me?

True - men should be modest too. Most of all, the boys should stop wearing their jeans around their knees. I was driving down the street one day when this kid at the side of the road had his pants falling down to his ankles while displaying his boxer shorts. He pulled them back up to right above his knees and kept going.

lol...sure it wasn't on purpose? maybe he knew you were looking!

just kidding, of course.

as to something you don't want to share with mean, start a new thread in this forum and title it "women only, please". might be something to keep men out by the title, but then you never know.

Aphrodite,

:DThank you for all of your comments

Aphrodite is away. But lets just say I know her very well so I can answer on her behalf :D

Kishta, your comments have been right on the mark for me in the past. I appreciate your polite, loving post. I understand your logic, I really do, but it doesnt work for me. Number one, I generally deal well with the trials in my life. I have been through a lot in my own personal life the last 4 years or so-my parents divorce, brothers drug problem, DHs Dad being disabled and bedbound, deaths, financial problems etc. But I cope with them. It can be hard but I know that IS LIFE. So I deal with it

Im really sorry to hear about your own personal circumstances. You must be a strong, wonderful person to deal with such tragedy.

Ok Aphrodite, it's your turn.

Our sisters helped me. I encourage you to listen to our dear sister Kishtakaya's testimony.

I am wearing my garments for the first time in a long time and I have a great peace about it. It's is a small sacrifice to have peace within. Deep down inside you know it's the right thing to do just like I knew. Just do what I have done.

Try going to work with your garments on even if you don't want too. See if you don't feel the difference. It's a little hotter but it's worth it.

Your loving sister,

Leeann [

/QUOTE]

Leann,

I do actually wear my garments on occasion. Sometimes I think, maybe they're not as bad as I think they are. I wore them today for work which meant I had to wear an extra layer to cover the garments. It was hot and they showed so I took them off an hour after getting to work :mellow:

Im afraid I felt no difference whatsoever. What sort of difference should I feel?? I never do when I wear them, just uncomfortable and unhappy. :( I personally feel God is happy with whatever underwear I choose to wear. I mean seriously there are bigger fish to be frying right now than my underwear ^_^

I hope Aphrodite will be back soon :D

I do actually wear my garments on occasion. Sometimes I think, maybe they're not as bad as I think they are. I wore them today for work which meant I had to wear an extra layer to cover the garments. It was hot and they showed so I took them off an hour after getting to work

I do not understand why you would need an EXTRA layer to cover the garments? I put on my garments, put on my clothes. What extra layer is there?

If my garments were to show, that means I am not dressed appropriately. Honestly, it is only a bit extra material at the shoulder, with a bit of length on the legs. :confused:

What little bit of discomfort might arise from the wearing of my garments, the blessings received more than make up for it...IMO :)

Aphrodite-

Why did you go to the Temple in the first place?

Because thats what Id always planned to do. Its what DH wanted too so I just went forward with that plan.

Was it because thats what was expected of you? Yes, that too. Was it because that was the only way your husband wanted to marry? No, he would have waited but I felt guilty at wanting to wait so I went ahead so as not to cause any more problems in my already complicated personal life.

Sorry, but I'm curious. As someone who moved away from the church as a teen and then finding my way back to it 20 yrs later, I find peoples excuses for forgetting their covenants interesting. Me too, I often want to know what leads people to feel the way I do. That is part of my motivation for being here.

If you just did what your were told, you'd have been back to the Temple by now. No, that doesn't work. I did what I felt was expected of me by my family, the church ets. I did not like it so I did not go back. So I guess you listen to the parts that only make sense to you or that sounds good to you... and everything else is just poppycock right?!?! I don't know why people think that having your own thoughts and opinions about something is looked down upon with contempt, which is what you have just done. I am a very strong willed person (in case anyone hadn't noticed :D) and when I hear things that dont sit right, I think, 'WHAT?!' Thats just the way I am.

Let me suggest again, go back to the temple... pay close attention, learn what is expected of you... are you will to follow that counsel that you receive in the temple? Whether I am or not is irrelavant as I dont have a temple recommend. It aint as easy as that in the church utcowboy. Anyway, Im not really willing to follow the counsel. Its just not for me.

Last question..... you seem to dislike the church or at least some of the things taught by our Prophets and Apostles, why do you continue to come to sites like these that promote that counsel?? Yes, you're right I do dislike some of the things as I feel they are contradsictory, confusing and offensive....AT TIMES. Not everything of course. I suppose I just tend to respond to the threads where I feel angry and feel the need to say something. This is how I am in real life too. I am a bit gobby and it has got me into trouble in the past...as it has now here too.

Why punish yourself with having to hear others talk about how their lives have changed from following counsel, when ever time its mentioned you seem to have something negative to say about it. Im not sure if I can answer that question. Its complicated. The church is still part of who I am and what I have become so I feel a connection. I think maybe I feel I need to see all the things I dislike about the church in action here on this board so I can convince myself Im doing the right thing by not living thje church.

I see that people dislike and leave the church, but they cannot seem to leave the church and its people alone.Just my humble opinion...... I think Leann is right, that maybe very very very deep in me locked away I am worried of doing the wrong thing in church so I fight against it. I do like to be right and have the last word. I am also extremely stubborn and I dont like to 'give in' to things like feelings. As my husband would say, Im a stubborn old cow. Im sure you all agree :)

Im sorry if I have come across badly on this board in the way I project my feelings. Im not a bad person really. Im just feisty and opinionated :)

Edited by Loopy_Lou

" Anyway, Im not really willing to follow the counsel."

that sums it up right there.

Definately

I was not ready to live the gospel at first then i realized that I would never be ready if i didn"t follow the prophet's (President Kimball) advice and "Do It". You will always find an excuse if you can't control your own will power. That's one of the reasons why we have Fast Sunday to learn how to control our will power. See even here is such a little task to teach us to be ready for the harder trials that are sure to come. Yes trials are just life but why not make them as easy as possible!!!

Guest Leeanntheonetwo

OK Aphrodite, it's your turn.

Your loving sister,

Leeann

Leann,

I do actually wear my garments on occasion. Sometimes I think, maybe they're not as bad as I think they are. I wore them today for work which meant I had to wear an extra layer to cover the garments. It was hot and they showed so I took them off an hour after getting to work :mellow:

Im afraid I felt no difference whatsoever. What sort of difference should I feel?? I never do when I wear them, just uncomfortable and unhappy. :( I personally feel God is happy with whatever underwear I choose to wear. I mean seriously there are bigger fish to be frying right now than my underwear ^_^

I hope Aphrodite will be back soon :D

My dear sister Aphrodite, I hope that I haven't put you on a guilt trip.

You are right!

My garments also showed. My boss Ann called me into her office and brought it to my attention. I was so embarrassed. I work for a law firm. Our image reflects the company. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't adjust the creases that my garment was creating in my skirt. Also, my garment was revealed in my blouse. You could see the shoulder part of my garment under my blouse.

My boss asked me what the lines are showing in my skirt. I had to tell her the truth. I told her that it is part of my religion. We believe we are protected when we wear this type of underwear. I was asked to go to the ladies room and take them off or find another job.

My boss is right Aphrodite, I can't represent my company looking weird. I mean everyone could see the new lines through my clothes that was caused by my garments.

I think I felt better because everyone says that I should were my garments so I did. The guilt left me because I thought I was doing the right thing.

But what I have learned is God is still protecting me or I wouldn't be here. I mean people live into their nineties with out wearing garments. God love's you Aphrodite just the way you are. If any change is required He will tell you Himself. Jesus saves, not holy underwear.

In my opinion,

Leeann

Edited by Leeanntheonetwo

True - men should be modest too. Most of all, the boys should stop wearing their jeans around their knees. I was driving down the street one day when this kid at the side of the road had his pants falling down to his ankles while displaying his boxer shorts. He pulled them back up to right above his knees and kept going.

This reminds me of when I was getting new glasses at the Mall back in 2003- There were three teenagers walking towards me, two boys and a girl. One of the boys was wearing the low baggy pants, but he wasn't hanging on to them. Each step he took the pants drooped a bit more. When he was about 7 feet from me, those pants drooped clear to his feet and he fell flat on his face!

At first everyone started laughing, until we saw the blood- his face hit so hard he broke his nose, jaw and several teeth.

I always wondered if after he got all put back together he continued to wear the droopy jeans!

I am tempted to walk around with a can of spray rubber- the kind that you can spray on the handles of tools, etc. When I see bum crack on the guys and gals I would then spray the rubber to cover it all up!

Or I could use spray glue and slap on a rectangle of stiff fabric. Yep, I like that one the best!

My bosses sister has a product out that she created- Butt Bibs. Butt Bibs - the fun fashion accessory to cover "rear cleavage"

I like my idea better- spray glue and stiff fabric!:lol: