Coming back from excommunication

apache16

A few questions about returning from excommunication:

What would be involved? What would you need to do to get back? What's a reasonable time frame assuming you do all you're supposed to?

Also, what's the real down low on the doctrine of the state of your soul once you're "back"? Are you still capable of being "saved"? Are you saved all the way, or only partly saved? Is it truly like it never happened if you repent or are you "forgiven" with an *?

There is a book on that topic from a former excommunicant:

Amazon.com: The Worth of Every Soul: Gerald Curtis,Loanne Curtis: Books

I think it usually a few years.

Much depends on the excommunicant.

It is about your heart, not about a certain amount of time.

When the blessings are restored to you, they are restored to you. There is no exception or footnote or "except for...". Totally forgiven is totally forgiven. That is the reason why such great care is taken in letting an excommunicant come back. Those involved want to be sure that true repentance has taken place. That knowledge comes by the power of the Holy Ghost.

What would be involved? What would you need to do to get back? What's a reasonable time frame assuming you do all you're supposed to?

Also, what's the real down low on the doctrine of the state of your soul once you're "back"? Are you still capable of being "saved"? Are you saved all the way, or only partly saved? Is it truly like it never happened if you repent or are you "forgiven" with an *?

Welcome back and making that first step back on the path. I would make an appointment with your local Bishop to seek the appropriate answers.

Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, David Whitmer, all returned back to the church.

We are here to help.

Hi apache,

The answer to almost all of your questions are "It depends". People get excommunicated for different reasons. The path back will be different for, say, someone who broke marital covenants and cheated, and someone who committed a string of violent felonies.

Christ's atonement is infinite and eternal. Availing yourself of that atonement means the sin is completely removed from your soul. As far as Christ is concerned, once the repentence process is complete, it's over.

Now, being forgiven does NOT always equal complete removal of all consequences. For example, people who have molested a child will never be called to the nursery. If there was a crime committed, the church can't remove parole obligations. The church can't invalidate child support payments. That sort of thing.

Finally, other people might struggle with their duty to forgive. The church is full of imperfect people, and it's possible you'll encounter some old biddy or gossipy busybody who just can't let your past transgression go. That's their problem, and it shouldn't be yours. Moving away tends to solve problems like that.

The advice to meet with your bishop is sound advice. He will help you.

LM

Do not be concerned nor deceived. Satan wants you to think it is impossible to return. He wants you to think you cannot be forgiven.

'Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.' - Isaiah 1:18

It is the LORD's work and glory to bring to pass your immortality and eternal life. You still have within you every capability to be exalted in His Presence.

1. Call the executive secretary of your ward and set up an appointment with your bishop.

2. Confess and forsake your sins.

3. Meet with the bishop as regularly as he suggests (usually once a month).

4. Do all the bishop counsels you.

It may take more than a year to be rebaptized. Enjoy the process. Be ye healed. Come unto Christ.

-a-train

In General, the following should answer your question:

Let me start by letting you know that the Church Diciplinary Process is really one of Love. Keep in mind that the entire process is one which includes dicipline, love, forgiveness, restitution, and justice.

Excommunication is the most severe judgment a Church disciplinary council can take. Once a member is Excommunicated they are no longer members of the Church. As such, they are denied the privileges of Church membership, including the wearing of temple garments and the payment of tithes and offerings. They may attend public Church meetings, but, like disfellowshipped persons, their participation in such meetings is limited. Excommunicated persons are encouraged to repent and so live as to qualify for eventual baptism. (The length depends on the local/stake church authorities) Usually no less than a min. of 1 year must pass before one can be rebaptized.

(Of note is that decisions to disfellowship or excommunicate are generally not announced publicly unless the transgression is widely known).

Excommunication is not intended to be the end of the process—rather, it is designed to be the beginning of an opportunity to return to full fellowship and to the full blessings of the Church. Priesthood leaders try hard to be sensitive to the disciplined person’s needs for understanding, encouragement, counsel, and assistance. They work to see that he or she has regular visits with his or her bishop; that the person has mature, caring home teachers or other specially assigned individuals; and that his or her family receive the attention, counsel, and fellowship they need during this difficult time.

The desired result is that the person will make whatever changes are necessary to return fully and completely to be able to receive the marvelous blessings of the Church. When the person has progressed to that point, his or her current bishop or stake president has the authority to convene a new disciplinary council to consider what action needs to be taken—even if the person is now living in a new ward or stake or if a new bishopric or stake presidency is now serving.

After the rebaptism of a person who has not been endowed in the temple, his or her membership record shows the original baptism date, with no reference to the excommunication.

A man who previously held the priesthood but was not endowed should generally be ordained to his former priesthood office. Again, his membership record will show his original ordination date, with no reference to excommunication.

A person who was endowed in the temple before being excommunicated may regain priesthood and/or temple blessings only through the ordinance of restoration of blessings. This is a special ordinance performed by a General Authority as directed by the First Presidency. (This takes suffiecent time to allow one to truly display repentance.)

Afterwards, a new membership record is created, showing the original dates of baptism, endowment, sealing, and (if applicable) priesthood ordinations—with no reference to excommunication.

Our Father in Heaven is pleased to restore former blessings to his sons and daughters when they have demonstrated sincere and complete repentance and I am aware of several who have returned to the church and are great members today.

Latter-day Saints who are disfellowshipped, still maintain their church membership. Once disfellowshipped, persons may not take the sacrament or enter LDS temples, nor may they participate actively in (as opposed to merely attending and listening to) other church meetings, though disfellowshipped persons may attend most LDS functions and are permitted to wear temple garments. They can not offer prayers in meetings, participate in class discussions,.

Latter-day Saints who are disfellowshipped, still maintain their church membership. Once disfellowshipped, persons may not take the sacrament or enter LDS temples, nor may they participate actively in (as opposed to merely attending and listening to) other church meetings, though disfellowshipped persons may attend most LDS functions and are permitted to wear temple garments. They can not offer prayers in meetings, participate in class discussions,.

I am not a member of record of the church, but I was told by some LDS women that I could participate in discussions in Sunday School and RS. Were these women wrong?

I am not a member of record of the church, but I was told by some LDS women that I could participate in discussions in Sunday School and RS. Were these women wrong?

There was a sister in a Ward I used to attend who participated in discussions in Relief Society and Sunday School and offered prayers. I always assumed that she was a member until years later when she one day announced that she was going to be baptised! Her husband (who was a patient and faithful member all this time) had even served on our Bishopric. It was a wonderful day 12 months later when the whole family went to the temple to be sealed. Her son has since served a mission and served on the Bishopric. They are a lovely family.

It depends on the excommunication. In general there are two levels of excommunication. The first takes place at a bishop court the second takes place at a high counsel court. The reason for the two courts is the level of covenant that the member has at the time of excommunication. Those whose covenant is overseen by the Aaronic Priesthood will answer in a court with the president of the Aaronic Priesthood (Bishop) presiding. Those whose covenant is overseen by the Melchizedek Priesthood answer in a court with the president of the Melchizedek Priesthood (Stake President) presiding.

Although there are recommended outlines; there are no laws that govern the appointed judges (bishops and stake presidents) in Zion. They are appointed to that office to act as proxy for G-d (as are all priesthood holders acting within their office and calling).

It is always possible for those that wish to do so to return to G-d. This turning or returning to G-d is in part called repentance and the ability to repent is one of the eternal gifts which are included in the Atonement of Christ.

Those that complete the repentant process should be considered as thought the offense did not happen. This is according to the oath and covenant of the Priesthood as specified in D&C section 84.

The Traveler

Actually, in ending a excommunication, there five different level of ecclesiastical authority:

As Traveler mentioned:

1] Bishop

2] Stake President

then we have three more...

3] Branch President [Mission]

4] District President [Mission]

5] Branch or District Presidents [Mission - Melchizedek Priesthood holder exc from MP]

More clarity on what transpires [generalize without detail]:

a] Review the proceedings of the initial Council

b] Interview the person

c] Determine Status of Civil/Criminal Court [if necessary]

d] Contact the Presiding Officer, previous action taken

e] Contact the Priesthood Leaders of aggrieved victims [if necessary]

f] Then, give notice of DC

g] Convene & Conduct the Disciplinary Council

h] Complete & Submit a report

On special circumstances, apply for FP Approval

i] Give written notice of decision

j] Readmitting Excommunicating Person [baptism & confirmation, Priesthood]

k] Member Records updated

One of the five presiding officers I had mentioned will have a checklist to ensure the member has completed the above process.

Hopefully, adding more clarity to Travelers list, this helps.

• 2 years later...

I know this an old topic...but if someone can answer this question for me.....

from what i have read, If someone is Excommunicated due to adultery ... but repents and gets baptized again..he keeps his original baptism date, same thing with his sealing date etc....

if that person does not repent of adulterty ...gets excomunicated then many years later repents ...gets rebaptized ..this time around does he get new baptismal dates...and he does he have to be resealed to his parents or family again right....?

I know this an old topic...but if someone can answer this question for me.....

from what i have read, If someone is Excommunicated due to adultery ... but repents and gets baptized again..he keeps his original baptism date, same thing with his sealing date etc....

if that person does not repent of adulterty ...gets excomunicated then many years later repents ...gets rebaptized ..this time around does he get new baptismal dates...and he does he have to be resealed to his parents or family again right....?

If a person is excommunicated and re-baptized, their records are made so as if there never was an excommunication. All the original dates, persons, places are restored. But they have not had their blessing restored, so they're not sealed nor endowed. After about a year is when they can petition to have their blessings restored. It is then that all the original endowments, sealing, priesthood, etc. are made so as if there never was an excommunication.

There is one exception. If a person was excommunicated for offenses to minors, a mark is placed in their record to show they are not to have callings directly tied to the youth program.

Here is a talk about this subject that may help.

Another talk

Do a search on LDS.org and you will find more information.

There is one exception. If a person was excommunicated for offenses to minors, a mark is placed in their record to show they are not to have callings directly tied to the youth program.

And I'm just fine with that. I will say they've been forgiven, but common sense says you don't put them back in temptation's way.

And I'm just fine with that. I will say they've been forgiven, but common sense says you don't put them back in temptation's way.

It's interesting you put it like that. Shows a sense of sympathy for the transgressor. Makes me like you even more :)

There are generally four reasons for that policy:

1) To protect the Church from litigation and other issues.

2) To protect the children/youth from possible harm.

3) To protect the member from being put into a situation where they may either relapse or being in an improprietary position.

4) To give the parents a choice as to whether they would permit someone with that type of past to closely interact with their children.

I've heard of people who have come back into the fold from these types of crimes and they are never put with the youth or children. Instead, they are given other things to do for which I knew of one who was flourishing in his calling (lost track if him).

No. Disfellowship is a form of disciplinary action for those who have broken covenents to some degree. If you aren't a member then really the only way of getting yourself removed from a meeting is if you perfsist in actions that disrupt the spirit or the meeting (like ranting against the church, or something). So since you have not made any covenants that you have to uphold, you can't be punished by the church for breaking something you don't have. Edited by Blackmarch

It's interesting you put it like that. Shows a sense of sympathy for the transgressor. Makes me like you even more :)

There are generally four reasons for that policy:

1) To protect the Church from litigation and other issues.

2) To protect the children/youth from possible harm.

3) To protect the member from being put into a situation where they may either relapse or being in an improprietary position.

4) To give the parents a choice as to whether they would permit someone with that type of past to closely interact with their children.

I've heard of people who have come back into the fold from these types of crimes and they are never put with the youth or children. Instead, they are given other things to do for which I knew of one who was flourishing in his calling (lost track if him).

Oh, thanks. I once heard from a woman who was in a way defending a lifelong friend who, sadly enough, had pedophiliac thoughts. She did not approve of his desires, but did point out that pedophilia is one of those things our society does not like to fix. We would rather just lable the person a criminal. It sort of changed my view. Doesn't make me in any way support pedophilia, of course, but made me think about people who have to deal with those type of thoughts.

I think it's best to keep them away from lots of children exposure. It's just too tempting. It's rare anyone overcomes things like that.

As for the Church's use of Scouting... a convicted pedophile wouldn't get past the background check, anyway.

I am currently disfellowshipped and would like to clarify somethings. I can not offer public prayers in church meetings, take the sacrament, attend the temple, administer priesthood ordinances, give talks, home teach, or have a calling.

However, I am allowed to read scriptures if I am asked to in Gospel Doctrine. I am allowed to ask questions and participate in discussions during gospel doctrine or Elders Quorum. I am at the half way point (officially I have been disfellowshipped for one year.. just means that a council will review my progress and possibly reinstate me into full fellowship).

PoD, you are a much better person than I. I did enough to get X'ed. It took me over five years to realize I need back into the Church, another one to mess up a chance of returning, and waiting and behaving for another year before I can have a chance to try again (May or June of this year). I do hope 7 is a lucky number for me.