recipe ideas

Guest GhostRider

Guest GhostRider

Well I thought that after we swap alot of recipies in chat i would start a thread here (hope its in the right area) so we can share our great recipeis.

From Jello salad to the really good stuff...DESERT! lol

mine is not for the faint of heart...more for the ones with no taste buds left

Habanero Omlets

Things u need

Fresh Habanero

1 egg per person

Pepper jack and Chedar cheese

jalepenos fresh are better

your choice of spices..i use cumman and fresh parsley salt and pepper

veggies of your choice

meat of your choice.

slice and de-seed habanero and fresh jalepeno. take out the thin membrane inside also..may want to wear gloves for this as the juice can become an irratent for some ppl..and wash your hands right after your done.

prepare as you would an normal omlet.

put the shedded pepper jack and cheddar on top

for those brave souls...put fresh peppers on the top...

For the really brave souls..ad a drop or3 of death sauce to it..will deffanatly give you a wake up kick! lol

enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GhostRider

Looking for a recipie for some good homemade bicuits..so far cant find any. I already have a sourdough one. looking for a good buttermilk one. Any ideas?

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon soda
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoon butter, melted to brush the top
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~Preheat oven go 400 degrees~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda in a medium bowl.
  • slice cold butter into cubes and use a pastry knife to cut butter into dry mixture until no large chunks of butter remain.
  • add buttermilk and milk and stir until a dough forms.
  • roll out on floured surface - to desired thickness
  • cut biscuits using a floured biscuit cutter or use a large mouth drinking glass.
  • arrange on lightly greased baking sheet
  • bake 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown
  • remove biscuits from oven - cool for a few minutes, then brush with melted butter.

Guest GhostRider

THANKS! Am trying the recipe tomm night for dinner...will let you know if I made them right. As someone getting used to cooking on a stove instead of fire should prove interesting....lol

• 3 weeks later...

Masonja

The main ingredient is Mopane worms, a delicacy Yummy

2 kilograms dried mopane worms

1 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons cooking oil

1 onion

1 tomato, peeled and cut in small pieces

1 tablespoon peri-peri sauce

Soak the dried mopaneworms in warm salt water till swollen. Drain.

Now boil the worms in a little fresh water and drain again. Now fry the worms in some oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, tomato and peri-peri sauce and simmer till the tomato is cooked. The dish is especially tasty if served with hot mealie porridge.

The koeksister syrup:

· 4 cups sugar

· 1 cup water

· 1 tsp cream of tartar

· ½ tsp tartaric acid

· 1 tsp vanilla essence or 1 tsp grated orange rind or 1 tsp ground cinnamon or 1/3 tsp ground ginger

Add the dry ingredients to the water and bring the mixture to the boil.

Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes or until syrupy.

Set the syrup aside to cool.

It is advisable to make the syrup first and to leave it in the fridge overnight.

The koeksister batter:

· 1 egg

· 2 cups flour

· 6 tbsp milk

· 6 tbsp margarine or butter

· 2 tsp baking powder

· 1 tsp salt

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.

Cut or rub the margarine or butter into the dry ingredients.

Beat an egg thoroughly and add it to the milk. Add this to the flour mixture, taking care to handle as little as possible.

Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.

Roll out the dough to a thickness of ¼ inch.

Cut into strips that are approximately 31/2 inches long and 1 inch wide.

Cut each strip into three lengthways, leaving one side uncut, and plait the pieces, pressing the cut ends together firmly.

Pre-heat vegetable oil in a deep pan and remove half of the syrup from the fridge.

Deep-fry the koeksisters in the oil until golden brown.

Drain them for a few seconds on absorbent paper.

Dip the koeksisters into the cold syrup, for a few seconds, whilst they are still hot.

This will seal the syrup outside and leave the inside of the koeksister dry in contrast.

The syrup will gradually become hot, so when you have done about half of the koeksisters take the remaining syrup from the fridge and use this for the balance of the koeksisters.

Koeksisters are a favorite of all South Africans who have a sweet tooth.

If you like sweet things you will certainly enjoy these

Masonja

The main ingredient is Mopane worms, a delicacy Yummy

2 kilograms dried mopane worms

1 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons cooking oil

1 onion

1 tomato, peeled and cut in small pieces

1 tablespoon peri-peri sauce

Soak the dried mopaneworms in warm salt water till swollen. Drain.

Now boil the worms in a little fresh water and drain again. Now fry the worms in some oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, tomato and peri-peri sauce and simmer till the tomato is cooked. The dish is especially tasty if served with hot mealie porridge.

Worms?

Guest GhostRider

I have heard of the Mopane worms. Even seen It made. After some of the things Ive eaten on dares at rodeos and scouts....as the saying goes...never knock it till you try it.the koeksisters sounds alot like glazed donuts. Will deff have to try that one! Those sound so yummy! .to me its sometimes humorus what some ppl call hot and spicy and all that. A neighbor wanted me to make them some of my famous jalepeno burgers. Well...I am happily munching away. they are looking for a fire hydrant to dowse out the flames coming from thier mouths. But they got me back with a Thia dish the next week. WOW! talk about hot! it was awesome but I was the one looking for a hose!

Worms...wellllll you might also like this one:

Green Ants

Find a green ant nest...they live in trees and mesh the leaves together. Be careful. Getting covered in a swarm of angry greenants is not fun. This is one of those great organic healthy real rawfood recipes.

1. Locate a straggler.

2. Pick up carefully...they will try to bite you.

3. Bite off lime green bottom, making sure that they don't get the opportunity to bite your lip. This is very unfortuneate when it does happen and it may turn you off this delicacy for life.

4. Enjoy the bursting bubble of lemony lime deliciousness.

Why stop at one?

Tim Tam Slam

*2 chocolate biscuits preferably tim-tams

*one cup of cocoa

nibble chocolate of width end of biscuit.

nibble chocolate of other end of biscuit.

Drink chocolate drink through the biscuit like a straw.

Tip:

A true pro will never have the biscuit collapse into the chocolate milk and render it into biscuit porridge.

Guest GhostRider

Wander....you had to bring up Tim Tams! Love them but cant find them here in the states!

Oh well...here is one for the campers and outdoorsy ppl here. Depending on the famly member or Friend and where its made it has 2 different names....Tinfoil dinners made at a camp fire/grill or....If made inside My Friends in Texas dubbed it Redneck Stir Fry when made on the stove!

Tin Foil Dinners/Redneck Stir Fry

Ingrediants and supplies:

Hamburger

Potatos

carrots

onions

Peas

Mrs Dash (or you fav seasoning)

Alumunum Foil for Tinfoil Dinners (TFD)

Prep:

Mix Seasoning with hambuger

Slice Carrots, onions, and corrots

For tfd use about a third of a pound of burger and make it into 2 bowls.

put veggies in Burger Bowl. then wrap foil around it. poke a few holes in the foil.

Cooking Said concoctions:

TFD is pretty easy..just put in coals and turn every 2 minutes or so. depending on the heat of the coals sshould be done in about 5 to ten min. just open and cut the burger a little to check and see if its done...the good thing is that you dont need a plate or bowl...clean up is sooooo easy

As for the Redneck Stir Fry:

Brown burger in a skillet. and drain.

at the same time....Add a little oil to another skillet and just throw in all the veggies and fry.

after burger is drained throw in the veggies. let simmer for a little bit or till veggies are cooked to your taste.

A pound and a quater usually feeds 4 ppl...or in my case...I used about 2 and a half for 3 hungry bull riders and a third of a pound for me!

TFDs are perfect for a camping meal.

Tim Tams! How I miss them! I can get them at a few specialty stores, but they cost too much for me to indulge frequently.

Anyway, here's a recipe tip thing:

Most of us should eat more fish for good health, but less expensive white fish (like Tilapia) is painfully bland.

Next time you are cooking white fish, try baking it in a sauce made of honey and balsamic vinegar. I use about equal amounts of each, but you can adjust proportions to taste. Pour it over the fish fillets and coat the bottom of the pan well. Bake as usual. You can also throw some sliced onions, bell peppers, or other vegetables into the pan. They really take on the flavor of the honey/vinegar sauce.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm going to submit a recipe, and ask a question...

The recipe: FryBread

You need:

6-8 cups flour

2t salt

1t baking soda

1/4-1/2 cup powdered milk

4-6 cups warm water

6-8 cups veggie oil (or canola, lard, whatever) for frying

Put the oil in a pot or pan with high sides and warm to medium high heat.

Using 6 cups of flour mix in the rest of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add warm water a little at a time until dough is like a soft and kneadable bread. Dump the dough on a clean counter or table and knead the dough until you are satisfied that the dough is of a consistency that is easily stretchable. You may need more flour or water to reach this point. Separate the dough into pieces about the size of a golf ball or just smaller than your fist. You'll cook them one at a time, so stick the balls where they won't dry out, I usually just flip the bowl over and put them underneath. Take one dough chunk and flatten it with your palms, then with the dough on your fingers use your thumbs to stretch it at the edges and turn it to keep it round as you stretch. (If authentic methods aren't a concern you can use a rolling pin. ;)) When the dough is about 1/4 inch thick put it in the hot oil. Be careful not to splash: lower it in slowly, putting the far end in first and the edge closest to you last. Let it cook until golden in color, then turn it with tongs or a fork and cook the other side likewise. I put mine on a cookie rack to drain with paper towels or newspaper underneath to catch the oil drops. You can eat it with honey and butter, jam, or go all out with the taco stuff: beans, meat, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese, onions, whatever sounds good.

edit: I should add that this recipe is very flexible. I sometimes use more powdered milk. One could even try other types of add-ins, like cinnamon and sugar.

Now for the question: what does one do with cheese rinds? I heard once that you can use them for some recipes, but I can't find any.

Edited by BandNerd
adding a cooking tip

We do tin foil dinners with chicken and cream of chicken soup instead of hamburger.

1 chicken breast

handful of carrots

1 potato

1/2 onion

salt and pepper

1/2 to 1 can cream of chicken soup

Wrap in tinfoil and the rest is the same is pretty much the same as above....I make them at home too, but then I'll add broccoli, corn...whatever I want.

Easy and yummy! These are the best type of recipes.

I make a mean (tasty!) grilled cheese!

All you need is a hot pan, some bread, some cheese (not just American!), and butter!

My trick to making it extra tasty? I butter BOTH sides of the bread. Nice and crispy and artery-clogging. ;D

It's a really great and simple food thing. You can had ham, turkey, whatever. Get a little Béchamel sauce and gruyère to make a great croque-monsieur.

Grilled PB&J is great, too. Plain peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can get rather boring. Grill them and enjoy. Throw in a little honey, or banana, too!

Guest GhostRider

Junior....I would hate to see your chalesterol reading! lol

here is a quick one for ya/

Home Made Made Energy Drinks

Pretty Easy.

Fruit:

Strawberries

Bananas

Kiwi (Shave the little things first)

Any other fruit that you like blended together

a bit of gensing...(the actual "energy part besides Kiwi)

Ice

Mix it all in a blender with some sugar to your taste. Hit the button and watch the Techocolor rainbow swirl. Blend till all the ice is gone and all you have is a nice thick bunch of "goop" (Little nephews technical terms here).

Pour (like I need to tell ya that one eh? lol)

I've found Kiwi to be a really big energy booster for me. Esp When I couldnt have my daily dose of java long ago in basic training. Get the little guys. cut em and dowse them in sugar then Whatch Ex bounce off the walls!

An here is a question...anyone try any of the recipies so far? may try a few this weekend. and dont worry..the Fire Department will be on standby!

Try putting finely grated parmesan on the OUTSIDE of the bread stuck to the butter before you grill any grilled sandwich. The parmesan forms a nice crusty surface on the outside of the bread and adds that nice tangy salty parmesan flavor. I like it on grilled ham sandwiches or on patty melts and its awesome on a tuna melt.

Fettuccine Interneta

1 lb. Fettuccine Noodles

1 package (19oz) Bratwurst

1 jar Bertolinni (or store brand) roasted garlic & Parmesan Alfredo Sauce

1-2 diced bell peppers

1 lb. frozen snow peas

boil fettuccine, bratwurst, bell pepper and snow peas together

drain, put back in kettle and blend in Alfredo sauce

ready to serve