recipe ideas

Guest GhostRider

Guest GhostRider

that sounds good moksha! am gonna have to try that one!

one quetsion....white or red coolaid with that one?

I cant wait for oktoberfest here....lots of good german foods that isnt so good for the waistline!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GhostRider

Uh oh...lost one and cant find it!!

Need a good Marinade recipie....Cant belive i lost mine!

want to do some grillin and chillin next weekend! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Pam, here is my Great Grandma's Pumpkin Pie recipe..

Grandma's Pumpkin Pie

3 eggs
Beat until thick and lemon colored.

ADD:
1 Scant cup of sugar 1/2 Tsp Allspice
1 Cup Pumpkin 1/2 Tsp Cloves
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon

MIX well with electric beater until sugar is dissolved

ADD:
1 C Whole milk and mix well

Pour into unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie shell. *note:It is best to have a large crimped rim of crust- that is set on the rim of the pie plate, as the crust sometimes will fall into the pie filling. You want to fill as far to the top as possible.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 50 minutes, or until knife inserter near center comes out clean.

This pie doubles easily. Also, for some reason this is best made in a glass or ceramic bowl. For some reason metal or plastic bowls do something and the filling ends up tasting a bit odd. I have sprinkled a good size pinch of cinnamon sugar across the top of the pie when it had been in the oven for about 20 minutes - just to be a bit different.

Let cool to at least easy handling temperature and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Pie Crust
1 C All Purpose Flour
1/3 C Lard (or vegetable shortening)
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 C Cold Water

Sift flour and salt into bowl, add lard and cut-in until like course meal. Add water by the tablespoon and mix. Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead a few times, then form into small ball. For a single crust roll out all of the dough. For a two crust pie, cut ball into two un-even halves. The smaller of the two is the bottom crust, the larger the top crust.

*note: what I have found if you are doing an apple pie roll out the entire dough, and then fold the crust up over the apples, cutting off the excess. No coming apart at the joining of the top and bottom crust, no leaking either.

Edited by Iggy
spelling :(

I am going to try this Iggy. Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it. Okay thought I better ask a question. My ignorance will be showing but what is a scant cup of sugar? Can you tell I don't bake much? hahahaha

I am going to try this Iggy. Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it. Okay thought I better ask a question. My ignorance will be showing but what is a scant cup of sugar? Can you tell I don't bake much? hahahaha

Oh, I should have edited that out. My Great Grandma didn't have measuring cups for dry ingredients, she used the ones for liquid ingredients, so a scant cup would be to the 1 cup line and not to the very top of the cup.

If you use the dry cup measuring cups, then you want a level cup. She also didn't have the measuring spoons that we use today, so you can either use level measuring spoons or not level off the spices. I prefer a bit more spices so I don't level them off, I have them just a bit rounded (not heaped). I also add allspice to my whipped cream (made from heavy whipping cream) that I put on the pumpkin and apple pies.

Actually you probably haven't used a lot of very old recipes - my Mom loved to cook and she had recipes that she got from her Grandma, her mother-in-law and from old, old cookbooks.

I didn't bother to put the recipe for making pumpkin filling. I did that once, I couldn't use my hands for almost two days- it is really hard to cut the skin off of pumpkin before you boil it!! Not worth the effort!

Please don't ask for that recipe- the book is in a box somewhere in my store room, along with how to skin and clean nearly every edible animal on the face of the earth. :eek:

No that would be way too much work. Canned pumpkin is baking from scratch for me. lol I have a few recipes from my grandmother as well somewhere.

Guest GhostRider

I have tried a few of em...2 turned out pretty bad..but we will just say that it was um....Operator Error?

And to set your fears at rest. House still stands. Fire Department was NOT called.

But the cats seem nervous now when the stove is on....hmmm..wonder y that is?

Trying to see if any one has tried the "special" omlet one yet...lol cause if you did....got another that will knock ur socks off for breakfast!

My four year old wants to make heart shaped cookie that talk. So, just wondering if any of you have a good recipe for that. :)

:lol: Too cute!

I'm a sucker for new recipes and will pretty much try anything once..."except poison", as my nephew likes to say. The omelet recipe sounds awesome, and hot! Anybody know where to purchase the delectable mopane worms?

Here is a calorie laden treat:

Strawberries

Sour Cream (stir well)

Brown Sugar

Have everyone scoop some sour cream and brown sugar on to their dessert plate to avoid double dipping. Roll the individual strawberry in the sour cream and then the brown sugar. Yum.

That does sound good.

Guest GhostRider

So simple that even I can do it! lol

Oh...gonna try something in a few weeks! stuffed jalepenos! Growing my own. They are called Mammoth. 1.5 around and 4-5 inches long! num num num!

Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie

Baked 9 inch pie shell
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese (softened)
2 Tbls milk
1(3oz pkg) raspberry jello
1 1/4 c boiling water
1 (10 oz pkg) frozen raspberries (sweetened)
Whipped cream or whipped cream cheese if desired.
2 Tbls sugar (to sweeted cream)

Blend cream cheese and milk; spread over bottom of cooled baked 9" pastry shell. Add boiling water to jello, stir to dissolve. Add frozen raspberries; stir to break up the berries, add sugar to sweeten. Pour into pastry shell. Chill until firm. Top with sweetened whipped cream.

Edited by Iggy

Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie

Baked 9 inch pie shell

1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese (softened)

2 Tbls milk

1(3oz pkg) raspberry jello

1 1/4 c boiling water

1 (10 oz pkg) frozen raspberries (sweetened)

Whipped cream or whipped cream cheese if desired.

2 Tbls sugar (to sweeted cream)

Blend cream cheese and milk; spread over bottom of cooled baked 9" pastry shell. Add boiling water to jello, stir to dissolve. Add frozen raspberries; stir to break up the berries, add sugar to sweeten. Pour into pastry shell. Chill until firm. Top with sweetened whipped cream.

Okay this one I have GOT to try. I'm all about anything raspberry.

~~~~~~~~~~~PEANUT BUTTER CAKE~~~~~~~~~~

2 cups self-rising flour

1 & 1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

2/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup buttermilk

1 tsp. vanilla

~~ICING: 2 cups sugar

1/2 cup milk

1 stick margarine

2 heaping Tbsp. peanut butter

Grease & flour sheet cake pan.

Preheat oven to 350'

Mix cake ingredients; pour in pan.

Bake 30 minutes.

Remove from oven & poke holes in cake with a fork.

While the cake is baking, put icing ingredients (except peanut butter) in a heavy boiler.

Bring to a rapid boil & continue to cook for 1 minute on medium heat.

Remove, and stir in the peanut butter.

Pour over cake while hot.

Cool 4 hours before serving.

~~~~~~~~~~~PEANUT BUTTER CAKE~~~~~~~~~~

2 cups self-rising flour

1 & 1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

2/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup buttermilk

1 tsp. vanilla

~~ICING: 2 cups sugar

1/2 cup milk

1 stick margarine

2 heaping Tbsp. peanut butter

Grease & flour sheet cake pan.

Preheat oven to 350'

Mix cake ingredients; pour in pan.

Bake 30 minutes.

Remove from oven & poke holes in cake with a fork.

While the cake is baking, put icing ingredients (except peanut butter) in a heavy boiler.

Bring to a rapid boil & continue to cook for 1 minute on medium heat.

Remove, and stir in the peanut butter.

Pour over cake while hot.

Cool 4 hours before serving.

one of my daughters makes this.....good stuff