Promoting home food storage

havejoy

Last August we did a survey in RS asking several questions about home food storage. While going over the results we realized most people had money and room for food storage but they didn't have the time to go to the cannery (it's a 3 1/2 hour round trip for my ward) and actually can the food.

We found out that most, if not all, canneries have a portable can sealing machine and a portable pouch sealer. We've brought pouches, cans, lids, O2 packs and a bunch of bulk food to our area 3 times since November and our members have stored nearly 6,000 pounds of food.

We also have a few "young grandma" types who are willing to go to the cannery with the smaller orders of the young families in our ward and do the canning up there. We have also had great response to this.

Thought I'd pass these ideas along in case someone else could do this.

You can now order some food storage online.

Home Storage

Pinto beans, quick oats, wheat, white rice, all precanned. You can also get a "starter kit" containing:

Two #10 cans of hard red winter wheat

Two #10 cans of white rice

One #10 can of pinto beans

One #10 can of rolled oats

Time to go back to Relief Society and call these ladies' bluff. They got the money, they got the room, and now they don't even have to get up out of their chair.

LM

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are so many places on the internet where you can order for emergency food storage that there are really no excuses for not preparing little by little. I have the Fedx and the big brown truck stopping here often. The internet removes all excuses. Even shipping charges are very low especially when you consider the cost of gas.