I Have Officially Resigned From The Mormon Church

Holly3278

Hmm rick you obviously follow the christian concept to respect invidividual choices. nice one mate.

Oh, c'mon. Let's be real here. I'll respect anyones wishes to do as they feel they need to in their spiritual quest. I have to do that with my brother. But unless you've actually gone thru watching a close family member leave the church, you have no idea of the emotional drain it is on you. It took me a couple years to stop stressing over it, wondering what I, or anyone else could have done to help him see what he was doing. It's a very, very difficult thing to go thru.

So yes, I'd love to walk up to my brother, slap him up the side of the head, and tell him to REALLY think about his choice. And do it with all the love I have for him. Which is ALOT!

But I won't. I sit back, I keep quiet about it, and I hope him(and this person here) all the best. And hope and pray they someday realize the mistake.

Now don't EVEN tell me that's not what everyone here is REALLY thinking deep inside, but won't say it, because we're supposed to be all warm and fuzzy. It's what we Mormons do, right?

Now c'mon. Group hug.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holly:

I sorrow at your decision.

If I knew you and your circumstances better, I could give better "advice."

Heavenly Father honors our agency. When we choose to follow Him, we are blessed. When we rebel, He has no choice but to let us be exposed to those consequences. The choice is yours, but not the consequences.

I don't mean to sound threatening or harsh. I am matching my advice to the severity of your decision in forfeiting the blessings you've been given. Have you been to the temple yet?

God is faithful. When you are ready to return (I hope you choose to one day) He stands ready to forgive and welcome you back.

In my own personal life, I know for a fact that I have been "forgiven much." I had a season of neglect, for almost a decade, where it was rare to see me at Church on Sunday. God has forgiven that, and when I was ready, He welcomed me back. He'll do the same for you.

May God be with you.

Tom

Well, no, I do not accept those doctrines either. I reject most of the doctrines of the Mormon church.

So the ideas of Joseph Smith, (being a prophet), Receiving the Priesthood, and Revelation, Translating the Book of Mormon and resorting Keys to the earth, you have no problem with any of that?

For me growing up in the church I have always known just one idea. I can see how it probably is hard to change your line of thinking of who (and I guess What) God is! I well also agree that the LDS church probably does have the most unique view of God (I was going to say strange, but unique is probably a better word).

I would hope your study for God doesn't stop! (I hope you at least keep reading the book of mormon and remember what it teaches and how it makes you feel) I hope your study for truth (for who really God is) keeps moving forward. Obviously the reason you are leaving is because you think our idea is wrong. Thats fine, I think your idea is wrong. The fact is we both can't be right. Either God does have a physical body, or He doesn't. There really is no in-between area there. I would just hope God is something you can look to, and come towards. Not just some spirit that is there? With out body, parts or passions.

That would be too hard for me to understand.

Good Luck (your going to need it).

P.S. You well be back (in the church) at some point in time!

Thanks for wishing me luck but I must disagree with your P.S. I don't know how you can feel that I will be back some day. I honestly don't feel that I'll ever be back to the Mormon church.

Oh, c'mon. Let's be real here. I'll respect anyones wishes to do as they feel they need to in their spiritual quest. I have to do that with my brother. But unless you've actually gone thru watching a close family member leave the church, you have no idea of the emotional drain it is on you. It took me a couple years to stop stressing over it, wondering what I, or anyone else could have done to help him see what he was doing. It's a very, very difficult thing to go thru.

So yes, I'd love to walk up to my brother, slap him up the side of the head, and tell him to REALLY think about his choice. And do it with all the love I have for him. Which is ALOT!

But I won't. I sit back, I keep quiet about it, and I hope him(and this person here) all the best. And hope and pray they someday realize the mistake.

Now don't EVEN tell me that's not what everyone here is REALLY thinking deep inside, but won't say it, because we're supposed to be all warm and fuzzy. It's what we Mormons do, right?

Now c'mon. Group hug.

Uh, yes I do know actually MOST of my family have left the church, brother, sister, cousins, mum is shaky and of course I myself am having a hard time with the church and that then affects my husband. So yes I do know what a drain it is.

Of course we're not warm and fuzzy all the time. But the bluntness of your post abpout smacking someone round the head does kind of give off a certain message about you....:o

Dale, for all my grand advice, I'm still working my way through the Sacred Works...so you're definitely a few up on me. :-)

I only have tried to get important books around to be informed of the basics. A lot of the scholarly issues i have not made an in-depth study of. I look through the books and return to stuff that is important to study again. I do a lot of topical study in the scriptures. But reading scripture from beginning to end has never been easy for me. Every time i read my books i see stuff i wish i knew better. So that motivates me to study harder on those topics that i feel are important to understand.

Holly,

Your profile says you are Baptist. Is this the church you are leaving the LDS one for? If so, then I understand why you would go. They are very good at denouncing other religions and planting doubt. I've had my experiences with the Baptists..... Anyway.... keep an open mind in all things. Good luck with your decisions!!

Also, just curious, but how long were you a member??

What happened Holly? You seemed to be doing ok with your testimony in all your posts. Did everything change in just the last few days?

Were you able to see general conference? It was amazing how they seemed to answer a lot of the concerns I've seen on this forum.

Unfortunately, the person who leaves the LDS Church over the concept of Trinity vs Godhead, really doesn't understand the history of the Christian Church.

Those I've known who have left for this "reason" in the past, almost always had underlying reasons that were the real clinchers. Some decided that to be a Mormon is too difficult, and so it is easier to blame it on doctrinal issues. Others have had disagreements with Church members or leaders, and used this as a reason to leave. Then there are those entrenched in sin, who want to be good Christians and have their sins at the same time.

Given that Holly hasn't held a temple recommend in some time, I would suppose there are other reasons for her falling out with the Church.

What is the Trinity? I'm a Preist and I don't think I've ever heard of it.

I have a grandson Jonathan that is your age!

The Trinity is a belief that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one being of substance, manifested in three persons. It was one of the early beliefs of what the Godhead was, and was made "official" at the Council of Nicea in 325 AD.

Those who are proponents of the Trinity belief, believe it answers how God can be one God (monotheism), and still have the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. The Trinity is viewed as outside time, and is made of a divine substance that is unlike anything created. We are not of the same substance as the Trinity, but God offers to make us as much like him as possible, through Christ.

The LDS view is that the Trinity is based upon a mixture of scripture and Greek philosophy. Some early Christians adopted Greek ideas, such as God is not human-like, they are not 3 separate beings, etc. The LDS belief in the Godhead is similar to another ancient belief, known as Origenism (named after the early Christian apologist, Origen). So, while both ideas are ancient, only the Trinity is traditional, as it is the one that has been passed down through the centuries. LDS belief is that the concept of Godhead had to be restored. This also restored our understanding of other key ideas: the premortal existence, knowing that we are literal spirit children of God, the concept that we are here to learn through our experiences in order to be more like God, the three levels of heaven, etc.

Even though we disagree as to what makes up God, all Christians agree that Jesus has saved us from hell and promises us salvation if we follow him.

I think that there's more we have in common than we have different in the Christian religions.

Unfortunately, the person who leaves the LDS Church over the concept of Trinity vs Godhead, really doesn't understand the history of the Christian Church.

Those I've known who have left for this "reason" in the past, almost always had underlying reasons that were the real clinchers. Some decided that to be a Mormon is too difficult, and so it is easier to blame it on doctrinal issues. Others have had disagreements with Church members or leaders, and used this as a reason to leave. Then there are those entrenched in sin, who want to be good Christians and have their sins at the same time.

Given that Holly hasn't held a temple recommend in some time, I would suppose there are other reasons for her falling out with the Church.

Some decided that to be a Mormon is too difficult, and so it is easier to blame it on doctrinal issues.

I think this is a common perception by LDS when ever someone leaves. I heard it quite a bit. "Oh they think it's too difficult"... or..."they are weak in their faith they just need to read the BoM more" When maybe the real reason they are leaving is God revealed to them the contradictions in the teachings. Or maybe you are right in some cases, maybe it is too difficult to believe the teachings of things like, God was once a man like us and worked his way through ordinacnes of the church and died and continued to progress until one day he was exalted into god. I can understand how some of those doctorines would be "too difficult" to believe.

One more comment and then I'll stop before you bash me for being anti mormon.

Then there are those entrenched in sin, who want to be good Christians and have their sins at the same time.

I'm not sure where the LDS come up with the notion that some one can be Christian and like their sin and keep their sin. When someone becomes a Christian and they ask for forgiveness of their sins and committ themselves to follow Christ they are changed. Christ dwells with that person. Things they use to like that are sinful become not so appealing. God changes them into a new creature and they walk in a new light. There is a conversion in that person that takes place. It's not instant because it's a growing process. They gain a very intimate relastionship with the Lord. To say that some are entrenched with sin and still want to be a good Christian and keep their sin. That is such a major contradiction. And then to follow it up by bringing up the fact that Holly has or hasn't had a temple recommend is a long time is out of line. You are trying to say she's full of sin, can't keep a temple recommend so that's why she left. Unless she told you that's why she left then you owe her an apology for trying to drag her name down. I'm not sure what your reasoning is but maybe if you bring her down in the readers eyes you help protect the image of the church. Make people think something is wrong with her not the church.

Hidden

Some decided that to be a Mormon is too difficult, and so it is easier to blame it on doctrinal issues.

I think this is a common perception by LDS when ever someone leaves. I heard it quite a bit. "Oh they think it's too difficult"... or..."they are weak in their faith they just need to read the BoM more" When maybe the real reason they are leaving is God revealed to them the contradictions in the teachings. Or maybe you are right in some cases, maybe it is too difficult to believe the teachings of things like, God was once a man like us and worked his way through ordinacnes of the church and died and continued to progress until one day he was exalted into god. I can understand how some of those doctorines would be "too difficult" to believe.

Then there are those entrenched in sin, who want to be good Christians and have their sins at the same time.

I'm not sure where the LDS come up with the notion that some one can be Christian and like their sin and keep their sin. When someone becomes a Christian and they ask for forgiveness of their sins and committ themselves to follow Christ they are changed. Christ dwells with that person. Things they use to like that are sinful become not so appealing. God changes them into a new creature and they walk in a new light. There is a conversion in that person that takes place. It's not instant because it's a growing process. They gain a very intimate relastionship with the Lord. To say that some are entrenched with sin and still want to be a good Christian and keep their sin. That is such a major contradiction. And then to follow it up by bringing up the fact that Holly has or hasn't had a temple recommend is a long time is out of line. You are trying to say she's full of sin, can't keep a temple recommend so that's why she left. Unless she told you that's why she left then you owe her an apology for trying to drag her name down. I'm not sure what your reasoning is but maybe if you bring her down in the readers eyes you help protect the image of the church. Make people think something is wrong with her not the church. I'm sorry but I think this line of thinking and talking is very judgmental and it's not anyone's place to judge. Whatever issues Holly has can be taken directly to the Lord and He will guide her.

I'm not sure where the LDS come up with the notion that some one can be Christian and like their sin and keep their sin. When someone becomes a Christian and they ask for forgiveness of their sins and committ themselves to follow Christ they are changed. Christ dwells with that person. Things they use to like that are sinful become not so appealing. God changes them into a new creature and they walk in a new light. There is a conversion in that person that takes place. It's not instant because it's a growing process. They gain a very intimate relastionship with the Lord. To say that some are entrenched with sin and still want to be a good Christian and keep their sin. That is such a major contradiction. And then to follow it up by bringing up the fact that Holly has or hasn't had a temple recommend is a long time is out of line. You are trying to say she's full of sin, can't keep a temple recommend so that's why she left. Unless she told you that's why she left then you owe her an apology for trying to drag her name down. I'm not sure what your reasoning is but maybe if you bring her down in the readers eyes you help protect the image of the church. Make people think something is wrong with her not the church.

This is true most Christians teach that you have a change of heart and become a better person, others teach that being a Christian requires living a holy life otherwise you'll lose your salvation. Roman Catholics who I see bashed a lot don't think that you can just go out and sin and be saved by doing a few prayers, if you commit a mortal sin you lose your salvation if you don't make penance, the feeling of repentance and remorse is more important then the prayers and penance given by the priest. Many Christians teach that if you repent God knows your heart and if you're just trying to 'trick' him by pretending to be repentant and not wanting to change then you aren't going to be forgiven. God isn't a fool. My mother changed her life around when she was born again. Sure there are slackers that only go to church on Easter and Christmas, I'm sure there are these types in the LDS church also.

As for the temple recommend, are there not people who lie during the interview process and get a recommend therefore being able to get a recommend and still hold on to there sin?

I think this is a common perception by LDS when ever someone leaves. I heard it quite a bit. "Oh they think it's too difficult"...

Understand that the priesthood holders in the Church are deeply engaged in monitoring and working with those struggling with their testimony and their activity. We have all seen it repetitiously throughout our lives. These are the steps:

1) No daily scripture study.

2) No morning and nightly prayer.

3) No tithing.

4) No or less Church attendance.

5) No fasting.

6) No or little service in a calling.

7) No temple attendance or recommend.

Now this isn't absolute and the steps can go in any order, I'm sure someone out there may have done all these things perfectly and still left the Church (although I have never heard of such a case).

Many think that these things are the outcome of a man's testimony, but that is not true and we LDS know it. The daily prayers and scripture study, the fasting, the worship in meetings, these things are all the nurture of a testimony, not the fruits. Satan often tries to flip that upside down.

It matters not to me, the denomination of the Church building a man enters on Sunday. His relationship and closeness to God is predicated only on his efforts to commune with Him. Scripture study and prayer are essential to that.

I am the only member of my family that remains active in the Church. All those who have left did so not because of doctrine. None of them were living their religion happily until a sudden doctrine popped up and crushed their testimony. They all were slowly lead through the process of decreased devotion and service into worldliness. None of them are active in any church. None of them study their scriptures at all. All of them cite doctrine and/or policy as their reason for leaving, but they don't want to talk about their years of spiritual starvation that lead to their fall, nor their current lack of all things spiritual.

Elders Quorums and Bishoprics look at all the less active members in their home teaching lists and find that but a few if any are attending any church at all. This is not a mischaracterization or a broad generalization, it is simply the reality of the situation.

There certainly can be those that are happy and active in other Churches, but they are a minority among those who leave the Church or are not active. In the case of Holly, I will let her divulge her situation if she so wishes to talk about it, but I am not going to pry. These things are between her and the LORD. I make no assumptions about her scenario.

The LORD loves each and every one of His children and His care and work for them does not cease. He stands at the door and knocks, and to him that opens He will come in. Our work as His servants is not to make the world Mormon in name, but to guide the world to God in spirit.

-a-train

I see this for the same reasons many join other churches, including the LDS Church. Usually, doctrine is a part of the reason, but not the initial or key reason. Let's face it, most Christian churches have a lower expectation of their congregates than do Mormons. There is no annual tithing reconciliation with the Bishop. There is no expectation to advance through the priesthood levels, accept and magnify callings, or be active in the temple. There is no requirement to find your ancestry all the way back to Adam. There is no problem with attending Church Sunday morning, and then going to the movies or store in the afternoon.

I know many who have left the Church because they believe they must save themselves by doing all these things - right now. And they never feel they can measure up, so it is easier to accept the teachings of another Christian faith that does not require as much; I suppose so as not to feel guilt. I am not saying these are Holly's reasons, btw.

Many join the LDS Church, but doctrine usually is not the main reason. As it is, the missionaries teach just a bare set of doctrines to our investigators, so it isn't like they have been taught the LDS teachings in depth prior to baptism. Most join the LDS Church because they have felt the Spirit witness to them, or they like the missionaries enough to do them a favor. Doctrinal understanding comes later, as they search the scriptures and study the teachings of the Church (that is, IF they study).

As for your issues with gods and God, I can understand it. It is very different from classical Christian teachings. However, that does not make it wrong - rather it is an ancient belief that many non-LDS Biblical scholars have written about: such as Margaret Barker.

Will Holly and all Christians be saved? I believe they will. Each will be saved to the level of truth and righteousness each one embraces for him/herself. Some embrace Christ much more than others - some serve, while others are Christian in name only. Each will be blessed for the level they accept to follow God. This concept was actually taught by the early Christian, Shepherd of Hermas, btw. He compared everyone to a branch, and according to the amount the branch grew and blossomed, determined that individual's glory in God's kingdom(s).

Oh, and I do not necessarily consider you an anti-Mormon, simply because you disagree with LDS teachings. Anti-Mormons are those individuals that go out of their way trying to destroy the Church, even if it means they have to lie or twist the truth to do it.

Many join the LDS Church, but doctrine usually is not the main reason. As it is, the missionaries teach just a bare set of doctrines to our investigators, so it isn't like they have been taught the LDS teachings in depth prior to baptism. Most join the LDS Church because they have felt the Spirit witness to them, or they like the missionaries enough to do them a favor. Doctrinal understanding comes later, as they search the scriptures and study the teachings of the Church (that is, IF they study).

Maybe this IS the primary reason that people leave -- study of the doctrines? It seems to be what people say they leave for. Maybe the doctrines should be taught to investigators. People join the LDS church because they like the missionaries enough to do them a favour, wow!

What does this mean?

Annually, members of the Church see the bishop and state whether they have been full tithe payers or not. Paying a full tithe is one outward method in which we can judge if a person is ready to enter the temple, or receive certain callings. Obedience to certain commandments are not a sure-fire way of telling a person's righteousness, but it helps.

For example, I would suggest that the person that daily reads their scriptures is probably more spiritual than the person who daily reads the porn sites. But that is an extreme example to show what I mean.

Let's face it, most Christian churches have a lower expectation of their congregates than do Mormons.

This is simply untrue, just because your morality isn't judged by a bishop doesn't mean it isn't expected by God or the church you go too. Some churches believe that you can backslide and lose your salvation if you do such things as -- Dance, laugh too much, watch too much television, become engaged in to many worldly matters (i.e. financial success), wearing too much make-up, etc... Other churches heap on so much guilt that they have members that do things like fast for weeks, sleep on wooden boards, dedicate their life to the needy, remain celibate all of their lives, etc... Every Christian church I've ever been too preaches 10% or more in tithing as that command comes right out of the bible, they just don't have a man appointed by God that goes around checking to see if you pay it, it's up to God on judgment day to check if you payed your tithes. Mormons don't have a monopoly on morality.

This is true most Christians teach that you have a change of heart and become a better person, others teach that being a Christian requires living a holy life otherwise you'll lose your salvation. Roman Catholics who I see bashed a lot don't think that you can just go out and sin and be saved by doing a few prayers, if you commit a mortal sin you lose your salvation if you don't make penance, the feeling of repentance and remorse is more important then the prayers and penance given by the priest. Many Christians teach that if you repent God knows your heart and if you're just trying to 'trick' him by pretending to be repentant and not wanting to change then you aren't going to be forgiven. God isn't a fool. My mother changed her life around when she was born again. Sure there are slackers that only go to church on Easter and Christmas, I'm sure there are these types in the LDS church also.

As for the temple recommend, are there not people who lie during the interview process and get a recommend therefore being able to get a recommend and still hold on to there sin?

God does know your heart, but not just your heart every thing about you. Every thought, every feeling. Because God becomes an intimate part of you. When someone puts their lives in God's hands, there is a change in them. People can see it as God takes that person and begins to mold them into the person He knows they can be. Sure there are slackers. Sure there are people that may even slide back into their old life style, but God is faithful and he convicts. He will allow people to dable in sin, but He calls them out. It's a way of maturing that persons faith. God gives us our faith. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. Everytime I'm posed with a trial, or illness or temptation and I pray for God's help through it, and He pulls me through it, I learn trust in Him. My faith increases through Him. Then the next thing that arises in my life I turn to Him quicker and stronger. Christians continue to grow in their faith and trust in God as he molds us and makes us.

As far as your comment on people lying to get a temple recommend to hold onto their sin. I know of some that have lied to go to the temple. And I'm going to leave it at that. To lie to go to the temple that is something I'm sure they have to work out with God. But I think a lot of weight is held on if someone is able to hold a temple recoommend or not and I can see why some would lie. Do all? No. Do lots? I have no idea. Do some? yes indeed.

I see this for the same reasons many join other churches, including the LDS Church. Usually, doctrine is a part of the reason, but not the initial or key reason. Let's face it, most Christian churches have a lower expectation of their congregates than do Mormons. There is no annual tithing reconciliation with the Bishop. There is no expectation to advance through the priesthood levels, accept and magnify callings, or be active in the temple. There is no requirement to find your ancestry all the way back to Adam. There is no problem with attending Church Sunday morning, and then going to the movies or store in the afternoon.

I know many who have left the Church because they believe they must save themselves by doing all these things - right now. And they never feel they can measure up, so it is easier to accept the teachings of another Christian faith that does not require as much; I suppose so as not to feel guilt. I am not saying these are Holly's reasons, btw.

As for your issues with gods and God, I can understand it. It is very different from classical Christian teachings. However, that does not make it wrong - rather it is an ancient belief that many non-LDS Biblical scholars have written about: such as Margaret Barker.

Will Holly and all Christians be saved? I believe they will. Each will be saved to the level of truth and righteousness each one embraces for him/herself. Some embrace Christ much more than others - some serve, while others are Christian in name only. Each will be blessed for the level they accept to follow God. This concept was actually taught by the early Christian, Shepherd of Hermas, btw. He compared everyone to a branch, and according to the amount the branch grew and blossomed, determined that individual's glory in God's kingdom(s).

Oh, and I do not necessarily consider you an anti-Mormon, simply because you disagree with LDS teachings. Anti-Mormons are those individuals that go out of their way trying to destroy the Church, even if it means they have to lie or twist the truth to do it.

Let's face it, most Christian churches have a lower expectation of their congregates than do Mormons. There is no annual tithing reconciliation with the Bishop. There is no expectation to advance through the priesthood levels, accept and magnify callings, or be active in the temple. There is no requirement to find your ancestry all the way back to Adam. There is no problem with attending Church Sunday morning, and then going to the movies or store in the afternoon

I think this paragraph shows how little you know about Christian. Christian churches expect their members to live their live according to the bible. No they don't have an annual meeting with their bishop/pastor to reconcil if they have paid their full required tithe. But paying tithing is important and it shows obedience and a love for God's teaching. Paying tithe is an act of faith. It's up to each indivdual if they pay tithe or not. Each person handles it directly with God. I don't need to sit down with a bishop about if I pay my tithe. If there is an issue with my tithe I get down on my knees with the Lord. I ask for help in my finances and I ask for help in trusting Him to meet my needs and paying my tithe. Tithing isn't a condition that holds a member back for service in a Christian church, it's a form of gaining a stronger faith and trusting in the Lord to provide for us when we are faithful. No there is no expectation to advance through priesthood levels. There is one high priest of the Church and it's Jesus. Always has been and always will be and He dwells in each of us. There are opportunities to do services for the Church and different ministries in the church so yes there are callings that we do. There is no need for us to go do work in a temple when we don't believe in the "works" that go on there. And as far as attending Church on Sunday morning and then going to the movies or a store that afternoon that's just wrong. We are taught to keep the sabbath day holy. And you need to be in check with LDS members too on that because they go to out to eat after church services, especially on fast and testimony sundays. They stop by stores and things too. So don't down play Christians on things the LDS do as well.

No there is no requirement for us to trace our ancestry all the way back to Adam. I do see the need. We don't believe in the works that are performed in the LDS temples so there is no need. Although there are several Christians and people in general that find it interesting and do trace their family history back. But we are not required to do this and in fact there is a bible verse and I would have to look it up that says, not to get caught up in endless geneologies. So if the bible tells us not to then why. I know I'm sure that verse is corrupt and can't be trusted according to your beliefs.

Will Holly and all Christians be saved? I believe they will. Each will be saved to the level of truth and righteousness each one embraces for him/herself. Some embrace Christ much more than others - some serve, while others are Christian in name only. Each will be blessed for the level they accept to follow God.

Will Holly and all Christians be saved? I'm glad you believe they will be saved to the level of truth and righteousness each one embraces for him/herself. I don't believe this. I believe our righteousness and our works are nothing but filthy rags and to believe that someone could be saved to the level of truth and righteousness one can embrace for him/herself is nothing more then a lie satan would want us to believe. I have no righteousness none zilch nada. However the righteous that I will have is that which is imputed on me by Jesus when he washed me with his blood. After I die what will be seen of me will be Jesus' blood. That and only that will save me. Everyone is not saved. A Christian in name only isn't saved. Just because someone says they are Christian doesn't mean they are. There is a verse in the bible that says that many will call on the Lord and he will answer that He doesn't know them. Hell is a real place and not everyone is saved because Jesus died for our sins. Only those that accept His gift will be saved. He will not make anyone take that free gift.

I'm not an anti mormon but I will say when I believe you mis represent Christians and you clearly have.