The Wheel of Time

Jonathan16

Who is your favorite character?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite character?

Yeah I have read like 9 of them. Not sure if there are any more yet. I enjoyed them but he has taken a story that should have lasted 3 or maybe 4 books and dragged it out way too long. It is a good concept and I am kinda mad cause I was gonna write my own series and after reading his I realized he stole alot of my ideas. Hahahaha. Ok maybe great minds think alike. Anyway I wish he would end the dang thing already.

Yes. Another author is finishing the the last book based on Robert Jordan's copious notes and audio recordings. Jordan's wife, who has edited a good deal of his books as well as heard more about them, I'm sure, than anyone else, will be editing the final book.

I've read all of them, and the first 5 twice... But I didn't read them all a 2nd time because I didn't have the time, but I do want to read them ALL through once again.

I absolutely LOVED the Wheel of Time, though I did get tired of Nynaeve tossing her skirts and pulling on her braids, as well as the men never understanding women and vice versa.

I did not know Robert Jordan died, and I am sick at heart to hear that.

I'll never forget when my 13-year-old son called to tell me had found this book he couldn't put down. It was the "Eye of the World," and from then on The Wheel of Time was always something we could talk about.

I especially enjoyed New Spring, as it brought Moiraine's motivations into focus.

And of course, Matt was my favorite character.

There's so much more I could say, but those of you who have responded to the thread already know about the plots. I have not read Knife of Dreams. I should do that...a little fantasy would do me well right now.

Elphaba

My favorite character is Perrin Aybarra, only because I have as much trouble understanding the unspoken language of women as he does. His wife, I forget her name, keeps him on his toes!

His wife's name is Faile.

For some reason Perrin was my least favorite character of the original six. His constant humility was obtuse to a fault, and it really grated on me.

I did, however, enjoy the Wolf plotline.

Elphaba

I can't decide between the ta'veren which my favorite is. They all have different things I love about them.

Loial is one of my favorite characters, too. I can't wait to see what happens to all the Ogier in the last book.

Mazrim and Logaine also pique my interest.

And my favorite villain, and perhaps the most convoluted: Padan Fain.

My favorite character is Perrin Aybarra, only because I have as much trouble understanding the unspoken language of women as he does. His wife, I forget her name, keeps him on his toes!

That would be Faile, and for them, it's a cultural clash. She WANTS him to yell at her. . . but he was raised to believe that was not showing love and respect.

And about the Memory of Light, the last and final book:

Sanderson to Complete Final Novel in Jordan Fantasy Series

By Lynn Andriani -- Publishers Weekly, 12/10/2007 7:13:00 AM

Tor Books announced today that novelist Brandon Sanderson has been chosen to finish writing the final novel in Robert Jordan’s bestselling Wheel of Time fantasy series. Jordan—described by some as Tolkien’s heir—died Sept. 16 from a rare blood disease. The new novel, A Memory of Light, will be the 12th and final book in the fantasy series which has sold more than 14 million copies in North America and more than 30 million copies worldwide. The last four books in the series were all #1 New York Times bestsellers.

Harriet Popham Rigney, Jordan’s widow and editor, chose Sanderson to complete A Memory of Light—which Jordan worked on almost daily for the last few months of his life—and will edit it. Rigney said some scenes from the bookwere completed by Jordan before his death, and some exist in draft form. “He left copious notes and hours of audio recordings,” she said. He also revealed details about the end of the series to close members of his family.

Sanderson, who acknowledged Jordan as an inspiration to him as a writer, has established a loyal fan base as the author of three fantasy novels: Elantris, Mistborn and The Well of Ascension (Tor), as well as a YA novel, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Scholastic Press). Sanderson said, “I'm both extremely excited and daunted by this opportunity. There is only one man who could have done this book the way it deserved to be written, and we lost him in September. However, I promise to do my very best to remain true to Mr. Jordan's vision and produce the book we have all been waiting to read.”

A Memory of Light is scheduled for publication in fall 2009.

Sanderson to*Complete Final Novel in Jordan Fantasy Series * - 12/10/2007 7:13:00 AM - Publishers Weekly

And yes, Sanderson IS Mormon.

Brandon Sanderson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 3 months later...

I liked WoT too... but consider this:

A tale of empires, this is the story of a young man who, after discovering his own latent abilities is able to embark on the war path. He enlists the aid of a race of desert dwellers, who see him as a leader foretold in prophecy. He finds love among them, a strong, beautiful young woman. There is intrigue, wheels within wheels, and the fate of an empire is at stake!

It is a world where mankind lives in a feudal society. An order of powerful women, possessed of superhuman abilities and knowledge, are found in all corners of the world as advisers, oracles, even political leaders.

If you thought I was summarizing the Wheel of Time, you are mistaken.

That was a summary of Frank Herbert's Dune.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this series, it's what got my teen sons addicted to sci fi fiction. Rand is compelling isn't he? I too like Moiraine and Perrin, the books that feature them are some of my favorites in the series. The first book is my favorite one. Oh and by the way, I do not think the author is LDS. Where did that idea come from anyway?

Ah yes! I just finished my 3rd read through. I can't wait until the final book is finished. I voted Mat. I'm about as lucky as he is. So of course I take a keen interest in him.

It's likely to change.. as I see the 'cold' Rand as who I was years ago.. if he learns to laugh again.. he might take the lead.

RJ was definitely not LDS. Everything i've read pointed to him believing in the type of religion he portrayed in his books. A dual system.

• 3 weeks later...

I read this series, it's what got my teen sons addicted to sci fi fiction. Rand is compelling isn't he? I too like Moiraine and Perrin, the books that feature them are some of my favorites in the series. The first book is my favorite one. Oh and by the way, I do not think the author is LDS. Where did that idea come from anyway?

I also heard he was LDS, which just goes to show how we should be skeptical of such tales. His Wiki says " He described himself as a "High Church" Episcopalian[1] and received communion more than once a week.[2] "

Love the series, though I agree with Elph -- to many "crossed her arms under her breasts" and "swirled her skirts". Love Mat & the Band of the Red Hand. "I don't care what they say, I'm *not* marrying the daughter of the Nine Moons!"

HiJolly

Yes, I read the books--All of them.

I hated the two wife (or concubines)thing, but there was much about it I loved.

The characters were the sort that stuck in your mind, and made you remember them.

I thought he dragged out the books too much, but then I'm a writer and I can say that.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

Good luck to the writer on that!