President Dieter F. Uchtdorf - LDS 178th General Conference

Heather

• 1 month later...

I love and honor both the spirit and person of President Uchtdorf. I sense that the light he carries is much greater than mine. There is one concern I have. Though it is taught as doctrine that one calling in the church is not above another - I am disappointed by the brethren that talk of their humility in the responsibility of their current calling. If one calling is not above another then they should not feel to need to be more humble, called to the first presidency, than they should feel humbled to be called to assist in the nursery.

Please do not consider this as criticism of the brethren for I am sure that they do not consider their calling as such and that they would serve with all their heart in what-ever calling the L-rd covenants with them. I am concerned that some in the church begin to think a general authority is greater in their eyes than a bishop, stake president or home teacher that serves the covenant of their calling with the same humility and determination.

I am humbled by all that serve in the kingdom and take upon them the “Faith of their fathers” – and that includes the children of my primary class preparing for their baptism. They are as precious and important to me as those I have served in various presidencies and bishoprics.

The Traveler

• 2 months later...

I am disappointed by the brethren that talk of their humility in the responsibility of their current calling. If one calling is not above another then they should not feel to need to be more humble, called to the first presidency, than they should feel humbled to be called to assist in the nursery.

In defense of our Leaders whom I love:

There are callings, and there are positions of leadership, and though one calling nor man/woman is above another in the Lord's eyes, our duties are not all the same. As a parent one has to answer to the Lord for the sins of the children to the extent that they weren't taught or raised properly; a bishop must answer to the Lord for his conduct and decisions concerning all the members of his ward, and so forth and so on. The First Presidency and the Apostles must stand before the Lord and answer for their efforts, conduct, and decisions concerning the millions of members of our church and the billions of people whom they have been called to bear witness to.

How many of us could have possibly accepted Joseph Smith's mission and followed it through to the end? The prophets and apostles see and bear things we can hardly fathom. Their mission is filled with so much more than we can possibly know, so much more than just standing behind the podium giving a nice talk and bearing their testimonies.

I'm not criticizing.

Edited by richlittell

In defense of our Leaders whom I love:

There are callings, and there are positions of leadership, and though one calling nor man/woman is above another in the Lord's eyes, our duties are not all the same. As a parent one has to answer to the Lord for the sins of the children to the extent that they weren't taught or raised properly; a bishop must answer to the Lord for his conduct and decisions concerning all the members of his ward, and so forth and so on. The First Presidency and the Apostles must stand before the Lord and answer for their efforts, conduct, and decisions concerning the millions of members of our church and the billions of people whom they have been called to bear witness to.

How many of us could have possibly accepted Joseph Smith's mission and followed it through to the end? The prophets and apostles see and bear things we can hardly fathom. Their mission is filled with so much more than we can possibly know, so much more than just standing behind the podium giving a nice talk and bearing their testimonies.

I'm not criticizing.

Thank you for your response. In many ways I agree with what you are trying to say. However, as much as I love and respect the brethren and sisters that serve in what are known as the high profile callings, the reality is that one calling is ether greater or it is not. In truth we are told that there are callings greater than other callings – you almost touched on it.

To teach the gospel of Christ is the greatest calling. Often the brethren utilize their “high” office to teach the gospel of Christ but even the calling of home teacher has that same responsibility to teach of Christ – as do heads of families.

Just as the widow’s mite is greater than the offering of the wealthy – I do believe the response of a young man or young woman to quorum or class secretary is worthy of the L-rd’s concern and attention. The plan of G-d has never been about serving in high profile callings as it has been about serving G-d and man with love, compassion and sacrifice from what-ever one’s station.

I stand in awe for all that serve in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, especially those that do so without reorganization or praise except by the L-rd and the angles of heaven. To all of you that serve I give my sincere thanks.

The Traveler

• 1 month later...

I love all the Apostles but especially Dieter F. Uchtdorf! I know, all are awesome but President Uchtdorf makes me feel warm and welcomed more than the others. Ugh, I don’t feel right saying that tho. I know I should not put one Apostle over the other, but I'm starting to get my favorites and Uchtdorf is about number one (along with President Monson).

...To teach the gospel of Christ is the greatest calling...The Traveler

Indeed it is, and thus the Church has a manual dedicated entirely to this solemn call and duty: Teaching, No Greater Call.

I'm going to stop here...because I could totally hijack this thread just on how I feel about our charge to teach diligently, teach correct doctrine, and teach with the spirit. Great manual. If those reading don't have it, get it. It will be worth it! LDS Distribution has it for a very low price, considering the worth of the principles and doctrines contained therein!!

~TG

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thank you for your response. In many ways I agree with what you are trying to say. However, as much as I love and respect the brethren and sisters that serve in what are known as the high profile callings, the reality is that one calling is ether greater or it is not. In truth we are told that there are callings greater than other callings – you almost touched on it.

To teach the gospel of Christ is the greatest calling. Often the brethren utilize their “high” office to teach the gospel of Christ but even the calling of home teacher has that same responsibility to teach of Christ – as do heads of families.

Just as the widow’s mite is greater than the offering of the wealthy – I do believe the response of a young man or young woman to quorum or class secretary is worthy of the L-rd’s concern and attention. The plan of G-d has never been about serving in high profile callings as it has been about serving G-d and man with love, compassion and sacrifice from what-ever one’s station.

Here is my take on this. Every calling is equal in its importance to the building of the kingdom. Every one has to do his part for this system/organization to work properly and effectively. No one calling is more important than the other. However, each individual called is different. Everyone has their own weaknesses and strengths, and therefore some of us may feel very comfortable to be called to one calling while others may not. I think when someone says they are "humbled" in a calling that means that they felt very inadequate for it and it brought them to their knees more than any other calling they've had before. For me I was "most humbled" in my calling as a primary teacher because teaching kids scared me. While my friends called to the primary with me seemed to have the easiest time I struggled. So of course that was humbling for me as it would be for anyone in my circumstances.

Saying that a calling humbles someone, or makes them feel the need to be more humble isn't saying that it is more important than another calling. It simply means that the responsibilities of that calling required one to develop attributes that they were weak in and their for rely on the Lord more.

Edited by kasuao