Old Wives' Tales for diagnosing baby Gender

MorningStar

My friend called me this morning and said her mother-in-law swears by the spitting or peeing in Draino method. She's pregnant too and actually spat in it, only she doesn't know which results mean what. :lol:

I was amusing myself this morning by looking at different sites about this. If you carry high it's a girl, low it's a boy. If the heartrate is above 140, it's a girl, under it's a boy. Then there's the Chinese Gender Calendar or whatever you call it. I even took a silly test.

According to the test, it's probably a girl. According to the chart, it's a boy. Haven't tried the draino because I'm not going to waste money on it and I hear it doesn't even work well for drains. :P

I also did the wedding ring on the string trick. If it moves in a circle - girl. Side to side - boy. It switched between the two. What does that mean???

All of my boys had heartrates above 140, so there goes that theory. And my first should've been a girl according to the Chinese gender thing, I carried high with him, so I tend not to believe these things. Well, didn't believe them in the first place. :)

I'll have my ultrasound May 5th - a pretty reliable method! :D Until then, I am amusing myself with the old wives' tales. Let's hope this kid will get in the right position so we can see what they are! With two of my kids, we didn't find out until the last minute and then they suddenly moved. Actually with our second, we didn't find out that day, but then they had to have us come back in because they didn't get a good shot of the stomach. After a long time on the second try, we found out he was a boy.

Even ultrasounds are unreliable. My Sister in law was having their 2nd last child, and all through out the doctor was saying it's going to be a boy. The ultrasound said it was a boy. They picked out boys names, clothes, decorations, etc. Then out pops a girl!!!!!!! Boy was everyone surprised.

There's another one. It doesn't determine the gender but, if you have heartburn or cough a lot, the baby will have a lot of hair. :confused:

I dont think Id want to know the sex MorningStar! I think its one of lifes great surprises.

Just as well as our local hospital is forbidden to sex babies at scans because of our high muslim population, and girls are undesirable, and women are pressured to abort or worse. Great town I live in eh?!

Perhaps we could make some of our own for Morningstar:

If you eat too much pizza during your pregnancy, the baby will be left handed. This does not apply if you ordered it with mushrooms.

If you did eat a lot of mushrooms, the baby will be good at math, unless it is a girl. In that case, the girl baby will be a good singer.

If you sing alot when you are pregnant, the baby will yearn to be a Primary Chorister when it grows up.

------------

Can anyone add to this for Morningstar? ;)

Perhaps we could make some of our own for Morningstar:

If you eat too much pizza during your pregnancy, the baby will be left handed. This does not apply if you ordered it with mushrooms.

If you did eat a lot of mushrooms, the baby will be good at math, unless it is a girl. In that case, the girl baby will be a good singer.

If you sing alot when you are pregnant, the baby will yearn to be a Primary Chorister when it grows up.

------------

Can anyone add to this for Morningstar? ;)

Ooh, I want to make some up too.

If your baby is breach, that means they have a very high IQ.

If your baby gets hiccups in the womb a lot, they won't sleep through the night until they are a year old.

If it's a girl, labor will start with your water breaking.

Yeah ..... Those are all so true .....

Speaking of singing while pregnant, I had a solo at a concert once and my baby decided that was the perfect time to wake up and head butt me in the bladder. Made things a little difficult.

Ooh, I want to make some up too.

If your baby is breach, that means they have a very high IQ.

If your baby gets hiccups in the womb a lot, they won't sleep through the night until they are a year old.

If it's a girl, labor will start with your water breaking.

Yeah ..... Those are all so true .....

Speaking of singing while pregnant, I had a solo at a concert once and my baby decided that was the perfect time to wake up and head butt me in the bladder. Made things a little difficult.

i was a breach baby, woohooo!!! :)

i had 2 of 4 start with water breaking, both boys, sorry. wait i've technicly started with this one so 2 of 5. lol i don't recommend starting labor that way in case anyone cared. lol

my mom has always been good to not pass down old tales but she did lecture me this time about raising my hands above my head to much. i just smiled didn't have the heart to tell her it was nothing. lol

my mom met a man that believed if you got really scared by something while pregnant it would cause the baby to have a mark resembling what it was. she came around a corner and he was holding a huge snake and startled her. she said he apologized forever to her for marking her baby with a snake. said he was really really worred about it. she was expecting my brother, he didn't have any birthmarks that looked like snakes but does have an odd attraction for snakes. hummm, who knows. lol

my great grandmother swore with her life that a pregnant woman shouldn't go in the woods by herself. said the bears would come for her.

my favorite is saying you had the baby "naturaly" only if it was pain med free. we've all heard the question "oh, did you have any of yours naturaly?" or "are you going to have it naturaly or get...?" lol but i had the nurse tell me at the birth of one of mine (she was encouraging me to get an epidural) "honey, if you are worried about having this baby naturaly, don't. the only way you won't have this baby naturaly is if it comes out your nose."

i guess those aren't about gender but i think they're interesting. lol

:lol: I say "going drug-free". I had this friend who tried to claim going drug free even though she got the epidural. She said, "Well I could feel a lot of it." :P

My water didn't break with any of my boys. The doctors had to break it for me. I get to a 5 and it's like I have an amniotic sac of steel! My doctor won't let me go past that point without breaking it because she thinks I'll get stuck at that point. My friend's mom got to an 8 during a nurse's strike at Group Health and finally someone comes into help her. They broke her water and her son was born in less than half and hour.

I wasn't breach. That must be why I'm not a genius. Darn it!

The snake thing is hilarious. I don't think I've ever seen a birthmark that resembled any kind of animal.

LOL...these are great. We found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting a girl. I did the needle on thread thing over my hand (I think it's the same as the wedding band thing)and it said girl!! I also looked at the Chinese conception chart and it said boy. One right one wrong. A friend of mine has six kids and the needle has been right every time.

I guess I will be going "Naturally drug free" seeing as how I'm delivering at a freestanding Birthing Center with a Midwife.

I think the hardest part of the pregnancy so far is trying to find a name for this little girl.

I guess I will be going "Naturally drug free" seeing as how I'm delivering at a freestanding Birthing Center with a Midwife.

I was blessed that my daughter was delivered by a midwife. Due to complications, we could not use a freestanding Birthing Center. Used an educational hospital instead. The OBs and their students were sitting around on their hands with nothing to do right then, so they kept trying to insist that my wife have a c-section. They were very persistent. Our Nurse Midwife kept holding them at bay despite their slavering desire to cut something. At last my daughter was born. All drug free and with a resultant perfect apgar score.

A midwife that day kept the doctors at bay - keep this piece of advice in mind. :lol:

I was blessed that my daughter was delivered by a midwife. Due to complications, we could not use a freestanding Birthing Center. Used an educational hospital instead. The OBs and their students were sitting around on their hands with nothing to do right then, so they kept trying to insist that my wife have a c-section. They were very persistent. Our Nurse Midwife kept holding them at bay despite their slavering desire to cut something. At last my daughter was born. All drug free and with a resultant perfect apgar score.

A midwife that day kept the doctors at bay - keep this piece of advice in mind. :lol:

That's so cool for your wife and daughter.

As long as things continue this way, I hope to not be transferred to the hospital. I would love to have a home birth, but hubby is not comfortable with it. Thankfully if I do have to go to the hospital, the CNM will come with me as our advocate.

I'm hoping to see the movie "The Bussiness of Being Born" soon that goes into how money is pushing the higher incidents of c-section and drugs and just everything else that just interferes with the natural process.

Ooh, I hate that! I had my first in a military hospital and the doctor was all eager to do a C-section. I was in labor for a week, they didn't believe I was in labor at first, and I thought, "I did not labor for a week just to have this guy cut me open! This kid's coming out the old fashioned way!" My nurse was on my side, thank goodness. When she mentioned the c-section talk, I said, "He doesn't have my permission to do a c-section." My baby's vital signs were perfect and I was fine too. There was no reason to do one other than his desire to practice. :mad: Once I finally got to a 10, my son was born in less than 15 minutes. It would've been shorter if they hadn't left the room to find someone to help me while I pushed. That doctor left because he had to go do a c-section on someone else.

LOL...these are great. We found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting a girl. I did the needle on thread thing over my hand (I think it's the same as the wedding band thing)and it said girl!! I also looked at the Chinese conception chart and it said boy. One right one wrong. A friend of mine has six kids and the needle has been right every time.

I think the hardest part of the pregnancy so far is trying to find a name for this little girl.

Congratulations! :D Good luck picking a name.