The scripture meaning of "heart"??

Traveler

What do the scriptures mean when they reference the heart? In particular what is meant by a “hard heart” or to be hard hearted? What does it mean to Love G-d with all your heart?

It is obvious that the references to the heart are symbolic of something. Is there among us someone that understands the scriptures or “guess” what the scriptures mean? Is there a literal meaning or is this understood as a symbolic reference?

The Traveler

In a nutshell, the Lord wants us to have a broken heart and a contrite spirit. A hard heart prevents us from being humble, submissive, open to the Lord's council and commandments. It prevents us from being teachable. A person with a softened heart can be moved upon by the Spirit to change from wickedness and sin to righteousness.

In a nutshell, the Lord wants us to have a broken heart and a contrite spirit. A hard heart prevents us from being humble, submissive, open to the Lord's council and commandments. It prevents us from being teachable. A person with a softened heart can be moved upon by the Spirit to change from wickedness and sin to righteousness.

My friend Skalenfehl: I think you are close - perhaps you have it down. What does this all mean in simple stright forward terms. How does this translate into life. For example, is there a differenc between a broken heart and a contrite spirit? Is a broken heart the opposit of a hard heart? You speak of a soft heart and a broken heart is there something different in the meaning or did you intend the same thing?

The Traveler

To have a broken heart means to suffer extreme sorrow and to have a contrite spirit means to be repentant. In the scriptures we read many examples of poor and humble people who exemplified this description as opposed to people who were hard hearted, like Laman and Lemuel in the Book of Mormon.

The “broken heart” spoken of in the scriptures is not the sorrow one feels because he has lost a close relative or loved one or suffered some other personal disappointment in life. Rather, the broken heart spoken of in the scriptures is the natural consequence of a person’s recognizing and admitting his own sins and imperfections.

In real life there are those who's hearts are closed to the words of the Lord. They don't want to follow the Lord's counsel and repent. Having a broken heart and contrite spirit aren't exactly the same, but go together. They are preconditions of repentance unto salvation. Hard hearted people turn their backs to the Lord and choose not to follow His ways.

we can see many analogies as we consider the way our cardiovascular system works. we require our hearts to carry the essential fluid of life to all organs .to enable the nutrients to be brought, to oxyginate our cells, to enable cleansing and eliminatory systems to purify us, to propel the essential cells that can recognise and attack harmful invaders. it carrys the cells needed to clot and stop blood loss, and conveys the complex orchestra of hormones that brings harmony in our bodies. it beats with a precice steady pulse throughout our lives strengthened by the meeting simple daily needs of walking, the exertions of running, the jolts of adrenelin fueled fear, the pure nourishment prudently provided for nutritional fuel. if our heart muscle becomes inefficent through blocked blood flow from the great vessels(impediment effects of sins) or inadequate exersise(failing to do the basics, prayer, scripture reading, keepimg the comandments) over a prolonged time, it impairs the sucessful function of the whole body.a hard heart won't let us recieve the guidance of the spirit , denying us essential growth and direction,while the softened or open heart is receptive to the enlightening(nourishing)influence of the holy ghost, that brings learning, change of wrong behaviors(attack and removal of germs0 and the purifying(cleansingof our blood) of our minds and souls bringing us into syncophance with heavenly father.if i took more time the analogies could be more detailed, i'm sure. please excuse spelling mistakes. i'm new to some computer use and can't find the button to mash that will spell check on a message .skalenfel, you have a good concise expression of gospel truths, i admire your contributions. thanks

What do the scriptures mean when they reference the heart? In particular what is meant by a “hard heart” or to be hard hearted? What does it mean to Love G-d with all your heart?

It is obvious that the references to the heart are symbolic of something. Is there among us someone that understands the scriptures or “guess” what the scriptures mean? Is there a literal meaning or is this understood as a symbolic reference?

The Traveler

You've already received some excellent answers. The first thing I thought of when I saw your post was "willingness to obey"

Softened heart - willing to obey

Hardened heart - not willing to obey

In the Book of Mormon, Nephi experienced both sides of this:

16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.

I did cry unto the Lord;

Where do we go when faced with a gospel principle that is hard for us to obey? Do we choose turn to God, or do we choose to turn inward to the appetites of the flesh?

and behold he did visit me,

The Lord is anxious and willing to hear our cries! And He is very responsive when we turn to Him!

and did soften my heart

Nephi did not soften his OWN heart. The Lord did that. The Lord was able to do that because the Lord is patient and full of all long-suffering. His love for us is unfeigned (genuine and pure, not fake or forced).

that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father;

This was the effect of the Lord's softening influence. Faith. Belief. Willingness.

wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.

Cause and Effect. The Lord softened Nephi's heart WHEREFORE Nephi did not rebel!! From this we can extricate the implied truth that Nephi was poised to rebel "like unto his brothers" but because Nephi chose to pray and allowed the Lord to soften his heart, he chose not to rebel!

• 4 years later...

I realize the original question was posted in 2008, but it's never too late to reply, right?

There seems to be general consensus that, scriptural/symbolically speaking, heart refers to the "inner person". Though the "mind" is broader than the "heart", the heart is the core of the inner person and is a place within each of our minds where we decide to cultivate and maintain our true thoughts and beliefs about things.

The heart is a place in our thinking that is genuine (for better or worse); a place that we do have control over; it is the place where the Spirit delivers inspiration to (only "to" because we have to be willing to "let him in"). Out of the heart flows desires. Our behaviors, words and expressions might "suggest" to others that we have a particular belief, but our heart is where our true thoughts exist.

Hence, a "mighty change of heart" is virtually synonymous with the Greek word "metanoeo" (the word for repentance), which is most often translated to mean "to change one's mind. . .for the better". A mighty change of heart isn't something that simply "happens" to us without our permission. This mighty change in heart happens when we change our mind about the things of the world AND the things of God and determine to follow Him in faith. Then, what makes this change "mighty" is the Spirit and, subsequently, our views of God, doctrines, principles, etc, as evidenced by Swelling or Enlarged or Enlightenment or Delicious (S.E.E.D. as found in Alma 32).

My 2 cents. . .:animatedthumbsup:

Guest Thinker

It is important to note that in the ancient Semitic idiom, the heart was the seat of thought.

Good point.

"As he thinketh in his heart, so is he."

I'd say "heart" refers to both our intellectual reasoning (thoughts) and the related emotions and spirituality (resonating/tuning in).

Spirit - can also be interpreted different ways...

1. Holy Spirit

2. One's spirit

3. One's general energy/how one tunes in - "spirits are either down or uplifted"

Good point.

"As he thinketh in his heart, so is he."

I'd say "heart" refers to both our intellectual reasoning (thoughts) and the related emotions and spirituality (resonating/tuning in).

Spirit - can also be interpreted different ways...

1. Holy Spirit

2. One's spirit

3. One's general energy/how one tunes in - "spirits are either down or uplifted"

None of the OT scriptures actually relate it to emotions. Also, all the "mind" references in the OT of the KJV are actually "heart" in Hebrew.

Guest Thinker

None of the OT scriptures actually relate it to emotions. Also, all the "mind" references in the OT of the KJV are actually "heart" in Hebrew.

Obviously, they did not use the term "emotions" - but rather "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

It seems obvious that emotions and thought were related.

And indeed, in practical application, they are.

Edited by Thinker

Even in English the word or term "heart" does not always imply emotions. It can have a similar meaning as "center" - for example when we say the heart of the matter.

In our modern society we associate the heart with our emotions. I am not sure that was the ancient meaning. Maybe in modern thought we would associate the scripture with our "gut" feelings.

The Traveler

Obviously, they did not use the term "emotions" - but rather "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

It seems obvious that emotions and thought were related.

And indeed, in practical application, they are.

It seems obvious that in ancient Hebrew culture that these things are considered related by ancient Hebrew authors? What exactly is your qualification for understanding ancient Hebrew culture?

Edited by Dravin

Guest Thinker

It seems obvious that in ancient Hebrew culture that these things are considered related by ancient Hebrew authors? What exactly is your qualification for understanding ancient Hebrew culture?

Axiomatic truth.

When a human being thinks something, an emotion follows, which makes one think something else & so on... thoughts and emotions are inseparably related (except for the rare existence of neurological disorders).

Although, we have evolved in many ways as a human race, the fact that emotions and thoughts are interrelated has not changed.

Edited by Thinker

Axiomatic truth.

When a human being thinks something, an emotion follows, which makes one think something else & so on... thoughts and emotions are inseparably related (except for the rare existence of neurological disorders).

Although, we have evolved in many ways as a human race, the fact that emotions and thoughts are interrelated has not changed.

The question is not what you think, or even what might be some objective truth, the question is what did ancient Hebrews think. Even if emotion and thought are inseparably related that doesn't mean everyone thinks it is so. The argument that because thought and emotion are related therefore when ancient Hebrews used a word donating the seat of thought they also meant emotion is specious.

Guest Thinker

The question is not what you think, or even what might be some objective truth, the question is what did ancient Hebrews think.

That is not the question.

If it were, we would be living the Mosaic law and counting how many steps we took every Sabbath, instead of embracing the restored gospel ("good news") based on ongoing revelation.

The question is what is of God - light, knowledge & truth.

God gave us both brains and spirit - we study things out then pray - because we think, then feel e-motion & the spirit, then are motivated to act.

Edited by Thinker

Some kind of people can appear to hard hearted or when they are simply ignorant of another's feelings. Some have not understood what it means to have a soft heart or to have their heart softened by God. Those who repent of their errors immediately after a mistake can either be doing that for their own selfish reasons (to turn a bad situation to their gain) or because they truly want to be right before God. Makes sense to me. Eh? Edited by Gargantuan