Green Tea HP

skalenfehl

Let's face it: 99.9% of the members do not follow the spirit of the WoW. We eat too much crap, to be honest. Too much meat, too much sugar, too much fat. We don't exercise enough. We don't sleep enough. Then we joke about it by saying 'I carry my 2 year's supply around my waist!'.

However, those things don't keep us from getting a temple recommend. We only have to be concerned with tobacco, coffee, tea, alcohol.

And we need to remember that these things have been dictated in THIS dispensation only. In Old and New Testament times they drank alcohol. Personally, I believe that there was no way the Nephites/Lamanites didn't discover the joys of coffee or even chewing on coca leaves for energy. But that wasn't required of them at that time. It is of us now, and why? Because the Lord himself states in D&C 89 that because of conspiring and evil men, we'd have to watch out.

You can hem and haw around the issue all you want, and say that it isn't specifically stated that you can't drink green tea, but it doesn't change the message. We all have our agency, we all can do pretty well as we wish to do. But consequences follow disobedience, and we need to be cognizant of that as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But here is what I found in my research:

Black, Green, White, Oolong, and Golden Tea all come from the same tree. It depends upon how long and how it is processed which gives it it's name. White tea is extracted when the leaves are fresh. Green Tea leaves are dried fresh, then crushed. Golden Tea is processed longer, and black tea is fermented, dried and processed. With each degree and length of processing, the chemical structure of the original leaf changes a bit more - until you have the strongest tea with the highest amount of caffeine - black tea.

Here are some totals of Caffeine content: Caffeine Content

Coffee (8oz) 133-160 mg.

Red Bull or Rock Star (8oz) 80 mg

Mountain Dew (12 oz) 54 mg

Black Tea (8oz.) 53 mg.

Coke (12 oz.) 47 mg.

Pepsi (12oz.) 38 mg

Arizona Blk Tea (16oz.) 32 mg

Hershey Special Dark (1.45oz) 31 mg

Arizona Green Tea(16oz) 15 mg

Check out this article. Tea does NOT have tannic acid. It has tannins - which are different and don't do the damage that tannic acid does.

http://elmwoodinn.com/about/tannicacid.htm

Here are some things to consider:

*Obviously the higher concentration of caffeine you drink - the more effect it will have on your heart, and the more addictive it will be.

*Green Tea has less caffeine - by far. Even less than chocolate. Also, since it is processed less, it retains a much higher volume of antioxidents, etc. (just like cooking vegetables, the longer you cook them, the more nutrition you lose.)

*Coffee and Black Tea were the drinks of the time when the word of wisdom was given. Green tea was not that well known or used.

*Soda pops (some not only contain caffeine), but because of the carbonation, they don't allow your body to absorb calcium or use vitiman B's.

Considering these facts, I personally don't believe that green tea is what the word of wisdom was refering to. I believe that it was refering to black tea and coffee. If I am wrong, I will have to answer to a higher court. I think that people should use good judgement in what they choose to consume. I have a friend that is a school nurse and tells tales of the havoc that the 'energy' drinks are having on our high schoolers - racing hearts, fainting, etc. I'm sure that Bishops aren't asking if people are drinking Red Bull or Mt. Dew in the temple interviews. I am drinking green tea for it's health benefits. I drink it in moderation. I also drink TONS of water. I have stopped drinking soda pop (with or without caffeine). I still eat chocolate!

Educate yourself on the facts. Then personally take it to the Lord in prayer. Make your decisions based on common sense and the answer you get from the Lord.

Caffeine in the Word of Wisdom discussion is a red herring. Nothing in the Word of Wisdom refers to caffeine, and the LDS Church does not use it as a measuring stick, except on their university campuses where it is not sold. I assume they do this for health reasons, not Word of Wisdom reasons.

But here is what I found in my research:

Black, Green, White, Oolong, and Golden Tea all come from the same tree. It depends upon how long and how it is processed which gives it it's name. White tea is extracted when the leaves are fresh. Green Tea leaves are dried fresh, then crushed. Golden Tea is processed longer, and black tea is fermented, dried and processed. With each degree and length of processing, the chemical structure of the original leaf changes a bit more - until you have the strongest tea with the highest amount of caffeine - black tea.

Here are some totals of Caffeine content: Caffeine Content

Coffee (8oz) 133-160 mg.

Red Bull or Rock Star (8oz) 80 mg

Mountain Dew (12 oz) 54 mg

Black Tea (8oz.) 53 mg.

Coke (12 oz.) 47 mg.

Pepsi (12oz.) 38 mg

Arizona Blk Tea (16oz.) 32 mg

Hershey Special Dark (1.45oz) 31 mg

Arizona Green Tea(16oz) 15 mg

Check out this article. Tea does NOT have tannic acid. It has tannins - which are different and don't do the damage that tannic acid does.

http://elmwoodinn.com/about/tannicacid.htm

Here are some things to consider:

*Obviously the higher concentration of caffeine you drink - the more effect it will have on your heart, and the more addictive it will be.

*Green Tea has less caffeine - by far. Even less than chocolate. Also, since it is processed less, it retains a much higher volume of antioxidents, etc. (just like cooking vegetables, the longer you cook them, the more nutrition you lose.)

*Coffee and Black Tea were the drinks of the time when the word of wisdom was given. Green tea was not that well known or used.

*Soda pops (some not only contain caffeine), but because of the carbonation, they don't allow your body to absorb calcium or use vitiman B's.

Considering these facts, I personally don't believe that green tea is what the word of wisdom was refering to. I believe that it was refering to black tea and coffee. If I am wrong, I will have to answer to a higher court. I think that people should use good judgement in what they choose to consume. I have a friend that is a school nurse and tells tales of the havoc that the 'energy' drinks are having on our high schoolers - racing hearts, fainting, etc. I'm sure that Bishops aren't asking if people are drinking Red Bull or Mt. Dew in the temple interviews. I am drinking green tea for it's health benefits. I drink it in moderation. I also drink TONS of water. I have stopped drinking soda pop (with or without caffeine). I still eat chocolate!

Educate yourself on the facts. Then personally take it to the Lord in prayer. Make your decisions based on common sense and the answer you get from the Lord.

You are assuming that the Lord gave the command (through His prophets) because of tannic acid, tannins, or caffeine. Perhaps there are other reasons which we do not know.

Why not follow the counsel because the Lord said so? Is it really going to inconvenience or cause people to not be healthy to give up green, red, black, brown, whatever tea?

Why not follow the counsel because the Lord said so? Is it really going to inconvenience or cause people to not be healthy to give up green, red, black, brown, whatever tea?

That depends on whether you trust the Lord's wisdom or think you know better than He does (as so many, even "faithful" members, apparently do, judging by what I see around me).

I have a bit of a caffeinated soft drink thing myself. My bishop and stake president both thought I was still OK for a Temple recommend, but both gently suggested it might be well to cut that down or out altogether, and I'm sure they're right, it's just a question of my capacity at this point (I do plan to work on that).

Frankly, as dependent as we're becoming as a society on caffeine (and the WoW does discourage habit-forming harmful substances), the Temple qualification may well be expanded by the Lord to cover that (and no, unlike a lot of "intellectual" LDS, I do not believe that Church policies are the whims of the men in leadership, I KNOW they are from the Lord). If that happens, I'll suck it up and comply with the Lord's commands.

I agree with aphrodite. I would avoid drinking ANY kind of tea, decaffeinated or not. It's what's in the Word of Wisdom. Section 88 of D&C says nothing about caffeine. Herb "tea" is in fact, not tea at all. It simply is a descriptor to the type of drink it is (leaves brewed in hot water.) Tea leaves come "tea" plants, while "herb tea" contains leaves from plants such as chamomile and mint.

I agree with aphrodite. I would avoid drinking ANY kind of tea, decaffeinated or not. It's what's in the Word of Wisdom. Section 88 of D&C says nothing about caffeine. Herb "tea" is in fact, not tea at all. It simply is a descriptor to the type of drink it is (leaves brewed in hot water.) Tea leaves come "tea" plants, while "herb tea" contains leaves from plants such as chamomile and mint.

D&C 88 says nothing of the sort. And actually D&C 89 says as much about caffeine as it does about tea:satanflame:;)

Oops, slip of the key! It is in fact section 89 :doh:

Would you please point out, if it is there like you claim, where it specifically mentions caffeine? Because if so, then that definitely changes everything priesthood authority has told me about the Word of Wisdom :disenchanted:

Oops, slip of the key! It is in fact section 89 :doh:

Would you please point out, if it is there like you claim, where it specifically mentions caffeine? Because if so, then that definitely changes everything priesthood authority has told me about the Word of Wisdom :disenchanted:

I didn't claim it mentions caffeine. I claimed it mentions caffeine as much as it mentions tea.

I. E. It doesn't mention either.

Yet tea, as well as coffee, has been indentified as the definition of 'hot drinks' by the church. No further official interpretation of the definition has been made. However, it has been pointed out by various General Authorities that in many cases caffeinated beverages likely violate the spirit of the WoW under the instructions to not take harmful things into our bodies and to practice in moderation in all things.

• 1 year later...

There is no prophet based mention of why these substances were given to us to avoid. I just simply ask myself, does it have coffee in it? Does it have tea from the tea plant in it? In this case, green tea is still tea ... as for me and my house ... we don't ask questions if our Father says "No" we just do what we're told :)

• 1 month later...

I agree with aphrodite. I would avoid drinking ANY kind of tea, decaffeinated or not.

I agree. The Lord says “tea,” I don’t drink tea. I don’t care if it’s black, white, green, puce, iced, herbal, Texas, or any other kind of tea; I don’t drink it. I’ve heard a lot of people claim that the Church has specified that this kind of tea or that kind of tea is okay, but in 20 years of asking, not a single person has been able to cite such claims. (And if that single person is reading this thread, please feel free to educate me. I certainly don’t claim to know everything!)

Let’s face it: the Word of Wisdom is different for different people. My wife has significant health problems and can’t eat probably 99% of the foods on the planet. Her Word of Wisdom is significantly stricter than mine. Likewise, plenty of Church members drink herbal teas, caffeinated sodas, etc.; their Word of Wisdom is less so.

Heck, a woman in my ward has severe health problems for which one of the only treatments is green tea. After significant prayer, fasting, and Priesthood blessings, she decided to use it medicinally. She is currently serving in a leadership position, and her husband—an ordained bishop and currently serving high councilor—fully supports her in this. I don’t know if our current bishop knows, but she certainly has a temple recommend. Who am I to judge?

The bottom line is that until the Lord decides to clarify this issue at the Church level, the best we can do is ask Him to clarify it at the individual level. So, if you’ve still got a question about it, get on your knees and ask Him! :)

Edited by theOtter

• 4 months later...

I agree. The Lord says “tea,” I don’t drink tea. I don’t care if it’s black, white, green, puce, iced, herbal, Texas, or any other kind of tea; I don’t drink it. I’ve heard a lot of people claim that the Church has specified that this kind of tea or that kind of tea is okay, but in 20 years of asking, not a single person has been able to cite such claims. (And if that single person is reading this thread, please feel free to educate me. I certainly don’t claim to know everything!)

Let’s face it: the Word of Wisdom is different for different people. My wife has significant health problems and can’t eat probably 99% of the foods on the planet. Her Word of Wisdom is significantly stricter than mine. Likewise, plenty of Church members drink herbal teas, caffeinated sodas, etc.; their Word of Wisdom is less so.

Heck, a woman in my ward has severe health problems for which one of the only treatments is green tea. After significant prayer, fasting, and Priesthood blessings, she decided to use it medicinally. She is currently serving in a leadership position, and her husband—an ordained bishop and currently serving high councilor—fully supports her in this. I don’t know if our current bishop knows, but she certainly has a temple recommend. Who am I to judge?

The bottom line is that until the Lord decides to clarify this issue at the Church level, the best we can do is ask Him to clarify it at the individual level. So, if you’ve still got a question about it, get on your knees and ask Him! :)

The word of wisdom does not say anything about tea??? Where am I wrong here?

When I was a missionary we taught that the Word of Wisdom meant to avoid

-Tobacco

-Harmful Drugs

-Alchohol

-Coffee

-Tea

I have known of members who drink herbal teas like peppermint tea, etc. What teas are we to avoid and what teas are ok? Black tea is the one I know of to avoid. I find it interesting and ironic that there is something called "Mormon Tea" which is of the ephedra genus.

Green Tea HP is a new health product with many benefits, but is this categorized in the teas that falls under the Word of Wisdom?

Where in the word of wisdom does it say to not drink tea???? I am at a loss here. Tea is good for you.

Where in the word of wisdom does it say to not drink tea???? I am at a loss here. Tea is good for you.

Hot drinks has been clarified by those in a position to do so that it is in reference to coffee and tea.

Edited by Dravin

So, how do I figure out what to do? Do I read the scriptures or some other document.

Read the scriptures and the teachings of modern Apostles and Prophets to know what to do, along with your own study, prayer, personal revelation, and counseling with priesthood leaders. Pretty much any lesson or talk about the subject the Church puts out includes the clarification. The clarification has been out there since 1842 (earliest I'm aware of, it may have been made earlier) so it's not exactly new material.

I am confused. ----- so, what is it about tea that is bad for you?

That hasn't been revealed to the Church. You'll have people who will provide suppositions if you ask but ultimately the reason we don't drink tea is because the Lord through his servants said not to.

Edited by Dravin

I have never heard of one MD that has any issue with Green Tea and I have worked with MDs from all over the world on Green Tea. You need to quote your sources.

I'm not sure if this is a non-sequitur or a straw-man of epic proportions. I suppose it's the choice between not particularly paying attention to what people are actually posting, or some rather blatant disingenuousness or a bit of both. Or you really need to start quoting the posts you are responding too.

Edited by Dravin